Steering wheel leather cracking

nhlducks35

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Got in to my Civic Touring today to drop something off and noticed that part of the leather on the bottom right of the steering wheel is cracking.

I've only driven the car for 1500 miles and had it for about 50 days or so. Any thoughts?

Honda Civic 10th gen Steering wheel leather cracking b8YuWQ0

Honda Civic 10th gen Steering wheel leather cracking segxDuq

Newflyer3

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Just warranty it, but it doesn't look severe enough where you'll have a compelling case.

hanakosmom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic, 2013 Honda Accord
The leather on the steering wheel of our 2016 Civic Touring is peeling. We had the steering wheel replaced after 2 months, however it is doing it again. They're still trying to decide if they're going to allow another replacement under the warranty. I don't use hand lotion or hand sanitizer if I'm going to be driving and my rings have no sharp edges, however they are telling me it is not a manufacturer's defect. :-( Other than this I absolutely love my car. The picture is for the more recent damage but it has gotten worse since, is actually peeling.
Honda Civic 10th gen Steering wheel leather cracking IMG_4698.JPG

Last edited:

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase

Rush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Coupe EXT
Country flag
The steering wheel in my last car peeled & was replaced under warranty. Black leather wheels are usually painted black too to even out the colour. The replaced wheel eventually peeled too but by then is was well worn with dirt and oil. It still looked fine.

Civic_Honey627

Can't hide from the cops in this one!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L Coupe Energy Green!!!
Country flag
That's what worries me about the leather in the steering wheel, so I ordered a steering wheel cover that fits great:

BDK Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover Small 13.5"-14.5" Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q3JTP0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Mwgvxb507SHA2
Was it difficult for you to put this on or is it really stretchy??? I ordered this one and I have tried EVERYTHING to get it on my steering wheel and it just won't budge, I even used a blowdryer like the directions stated. Am I missing something here???
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Steeri...73&sr=8-3&keywords=honda+steering+wheel+cover

timothyjay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Vehicle Showcase
It is a little difficult, especially with the smaller covers. My cover instructed to throw it in the dryer for a few mins in low heat to soften the leather so you can put it on the steering wheel.

Was it difficult for you to put this on or is it really stretchy??? I ordered this one and I have tried EVERYTHING to get it on my steering wheel and it just won't budge, I even used a blowdryer like the directions stated. Am I missing something here???
https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Steeri...73&sr=8-3&keywords=honda+steering+wheel+cover

Civic_Honey627

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It is a little difficult, especially with the smaller covers. My cover instructed to throw it in the dryer for a few mins in low heat to soften the leather so you can put it on the steering wheel.
Oh geeez! I'm 4 flights up from my garage hahahaha. I'll have to grab it out of the dryer and run like hell before it cools. :doh:

Thanks, I'll try this.

1WickedCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX Sedan, 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport 6MT
The leather on the steering wheel of our 2016 Civic Touring is peeling. We had the steering wheel replaced after 2 months, however it is doing it again. They're still trying to decide if they're going to allow another replacement under the warranty. I don't use hand lotion or hand sanitizer if I'm going to be driving and my rings have no sharp edges, however they are telling me it is not a manufacturer's defect.
The problem is that Honda used cheap/low-quality leather on a heavily-used part. It should be replaced under warranty for as long as it keeps doing that. Escalate it as far as you can up Honda Corporate if the dealer gives you any more BS excuses.

On another note, I have the EX, which has a vinyl-covered wheel. I wanted a leather steering & shift knob but of course, that is reserved for higher trim models. What I'm gonna do is buy the OEM leather steering wheel (GRIP *NH900L* (LEA) (DEEP BLACK) - part# 78501TBAA21ZA, about $100 or less), swap it out with my vinyl one & send the vinyl one to one of these two companies:

http://www.leatherwheels.com/index.htm

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/index.htm

Both come highly recommended on BMW & Mercedes forums (I'm a member of couple of them & keep in touch with some members there, hence the recommendations). My goal is to have a slightly thicker wheel, along with a better quality leather covering. We'll see how it goes.

Last edited:

hanakosmom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic, 2013 Honda Accord
They did agree to replace the steering wheel again, I now have a steering wheel cover on it to prevent any further issues. Hopefully this takes care of the problem.

BoringOhio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
The problem is that Honda used cheap/low-quality leather on a heavily-used part. It should be replaced under warranty for as long as it keeps doing that. Escalate it as far as you can up Honda Corporate if the dealer gives you any more BS excuses.

On another note, I have the EX, which has a vinyl-covered wheel. I wanted a leather steering & shift knob but of course, that is reserved for higher trim models. What I'm gonna do is buy the OEM leather steering wheel (GRIP *NH900L* (LEA) (DEEP BLACK) - part# 78501TBAA21ZA, about $100 or less), swap it out with my vinyl one & send the vinyl one to one of these two companies:

http://www.leatherwheels.com/index.htm

http://www.dallassteeringwheel.com/index.htm

Both come highly recommended on BMW & Mercedes forums (I'm a member of couple of them & keep in touch with some members there, hence the recommendations). My goal is to have a slightly thicker wheel, along with a better quality leather covering. We'll see how it goes.
Any idea what prices are like at the second link? Seems pretty cool, let us know how it turns out if you do it.

SH@UN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oh geeez! I'm 4 flights up from my garage hahahaha. I'll have to grab it out of the dryer and run like hell before it cools. :doh:

Thanks, I'll try this.
Lay it out in the hot sun for about an hour, then you'll be good to go. I've always been able to get mine on without doing anything special though.

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Might also help in the future to condition with Meguiar's leather stuff or something to that effect.

Side note - I love the quality of the (p)leather on the wheel. I'm at 15.5k miles with no wear so far.

Civic_Honey627

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Lay it out in the hot sun for about an hour, then you'll be good to go. I've always been able to get mine on without doing anything special though.
Thanks @SH@UN, this thing has been a pain but it's cute. I'll try this.