Steering wheel leather cracking

Justin G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatch Sport.
Country flag
Might also help in the future to condition with Meguiar's leather stuff or something to that effect.

Side note - I love the quality of the (p)leather on the wheel. I'm at 15.5k miles with no wear so far.
That's what I was wondering if conditioning it would help it from drying out and cracking?
Sponsored

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
I use Merguiars leather balm on all the leather.

MattyNice

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Leather steering wheels look and feel nice but imo don’t hold up well. The only solution I’ve ever found is to put leather conditioner on it every few weeks. As soon as it starts to fade I reapply.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Leather steering wheels look and feel nice but imo don’t hold up well. The only solution I’ve ever found is to put leather conditioner on it every few weeks. As soon as it starts to fade I reapply.
That’s definitely a good idea to use leather conditioner. The other thing is to use a sun shade for protection from the UV rays in case it is not parked in the shade.

In my experiences, I have had bad experiences with man-made materials because sometimes the surface is treated with a coating that wears off with use. If it is a molded, closed-cell foam, this degrades easily too. Good leather is very durable. It stretches and is pliable. I have used Wheel Skins leather covers that in grey and black and they were very durable. The company sent me a free replacement when my installation went bad from a single torn eyelet. If your specs are off, they can custom-make you a new one to your dimensions. The only downside, besides the sewing work, is that it looks aftermarket because each wheel is different and better than that is a professionally cut and sewn cover.

IaAsk

First Name
Bengt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic sport plus hb
Country flag
The leather on the steering wheel of our 2016 Civic Touring is peeling. We had the steering wheel replaced after 2 months, however it is doing it again. They're still trying to decide if they're going to allow another replacement under the warranty. I don't use hand lotion or hand sanitizer if I'm going to be driving and my rings have no sharp edges, however they are telling me it is not a manufacturer's defect. :-( Other than this I absolutely love my car. The picture is for the more recent damage but it has gotten worse since, is actually peeling.
IMG_4698.JPG
That is from something else..i had a pen in my leg side pocket once and my wheel looked like that. I happend men i got out of the car. Rings clocks o something else. Thats not a wheel problem

kg4fxg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring Black
Country flag
With extreme detail, I have never had an issue with a leather starring wheel. So much protectant on the dash and seats and steering wheel never had been a problem. But I do park in the garage. So that might be the difference?
Sponsored