Steering wheel leather cracking

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
6000 miles, 1 year later - same problem.

What was your experience in reporting this problem? Will Honda say that it is my fault?

Honda Civic 10th gen Steering wheel leather cracking 20161110_153207441_iOS
Sponsored

Billy4202

Banned
Banned
First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 BNP Touring, '07 Mercury Milan
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
6000 miles, 1 year later - same problem.

What was your experience in reporting this problem? Will Honda say that it is my fault?

20161110_153207441_iOS.jpg
Are you talking about the vertical ripples/tears, the horizontal bulge, or the entire thing? If it's damage you've accidentally caused, like the vertical tear, no dice.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
I was referring to both the horizontal and the vertical.

I'm not sure how I could've caused the damage - i don't recall scraping it all the way down.

dtccivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-L
Country flag
Just to follow up on this, I brought this in and they agreed to replace the steering wheel.

They replaced it, and left it wrapped in plastic for me.

I unwrapped the new one, and discovered there was tiny hole with the base (blue) material sticking out.

Quality control is clearly job one at Honda these days. :(

Brakes88

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 TYP SI
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The steering wheel in my last car peeled & was replaced under warranty. Black leather wheels are usually painted black too to even out the colour. The replaced wheel eventually peeled too but by then is was well worn with dirt and oil. It still looked fine.
Nice avatar. I moved out west from pictou county 10 yr ago. I've been considering replacing my 17lx wheel with leather but dealership wants 190 little pricy if they're prone to peeling

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Got in to my Civic Touring today to drop something off and noticed that part of the leather on the bottom right of the steering wheel is cracking.

I've only driven the car for 1500 miles and had it for about 50 days or so. Any thoughts?

b8YuWQ0.jpg

segxDuq.jpg
these are just wrinkles, it will improve a lot if you use a leather conditioner

CivicChina

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 1.5t 6MT Cosmic Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The leather on the steering wheel of our 2016 Civic Touring is peeling. We had the steering wheel replaced after 2 months, however it is doing it again. They're still trying to decide if they're going to allow another replacement under the warranty. I don't use hand lotion or hand sanitizer if I'm going to be driving and my rings have no sharp edges, however they are telling me it is not a manufacturer's defect. :-( Other than this I absolutely love my car. The picture is for the more recent damage but it has gotten worse since, is actually peeling.
IMG_4698.JPG
scratched with a ring or nails. happened on my previous car so i dont wear my ring anymore, wife is not happy about it but car comes first:p

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
Hey guys. For the damage in the last image in this thread: is this vinyl or something? On my 2017 Hatchback, the uppermost panel on the wheel, is not leather but a coated rubber it seems. The coating is wearing off and all that remains is solid black rubber. I don’t see why Honda didn’t just use leather all around? Leather is very durable, and while I have ran into the leather with my fingernails many times, the leather is in top top shape.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
scratched with a ring or nails. happened on my previous car so i dont wear my ring anymore, wife is not happy about it but car comes first:p
I don't want to assume too much, but if you are female, and you tend to use "Hand Lotions", some can have a severe detrimental effect on a rubber/plastic coated steering wheels, especially if the wheel is exposed to a lot of strong UV light from the sun.
\
Ironically, the hand lotion may actually improve a leather wheel, and keep the leather moisturized (skin & leather have a number of similarities) :)

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My sport touring wheel was wrinkled 3 days after I got the car. I ordered a Type R wheel and that is wrinkled in the red on the bottom. Honda is replacing it for free once I send it back. I feel like I'm going to get a messed up one and am going to have to spend $350 or so on a custom.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My sport touring wheel was wrinkled 3 days after I got the car. I ordered a Type R wheel and that is wrinkled in the red on the bottom. Honda is replacing it for free once I send it back. I feel like I'm going to get a messed up one and am going to have to spend $350 or so on a custom.
When you say “wrinkled” what exactly do you mean? Did it change and get that way?

Kane666

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yes the way leather gets after a couple years. Just happened right away to me.

James3spearchucker

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I was just trying to understand as I have sewn wheels that this didn’t happen to. Was there slack causing the leather to shift and then wrinkle?
Sponsored