Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Blinking lights are the car's way of telling you something bad is about to happen and don't drive me until you get me fixed.
I never thought about that.. blinkies are usually the crazy ones huh. but yeah.. definitely do not ignore this, I would get it checked out even if it cleared.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
EPS failure as mentioned. Lots of things could set the code, I haven't personally seen any rack failures but this time of year in my part of the country I have seen many rodent damage related failures. Rodents crawl into the engine bay and like to chew on the wiring above the trans near the battery or the wiring that goes to the steering rack sensors. If you're under warranty, get it checked out, but be warned rodent damage is not covered under any Honda warranty. It's viewed as like "act of god" stuff and not a defect, so either get it covered by your insurance or pay to have it repaired. Honda recommends full harness replacements (thousands of dollars) but it's usually a wire or two that I can repair with a soldering iron and shrink tubing.

Cheap fix would be to disconnect the battery for 10min, then reconnect the battery and drive about 8mph in a straight line for a few seconds so that the EPS can relearn again. If the code goes away, sweet, if it comes back you have a larger failure that requires dealer visit.

Best of luck my dude.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
EPS failure as mentioned. Lots of things could set the code, I haven't personally seen any rack failures but this time of year in my part of the country I have seen many rodent damage related failures. Rodents crawl into the engine bay and like to chew on the wiring above the trans near the battery or the wiring that goes to the steering rack sensors. If you're under warranty, get it checked out, but be warned rodent damage is not covered under any Honda warranty. It's viewed as like "act of god" stuff and not a defect, so either get it covered by your insurance or pay to have it repaired. Honda recommends full harness replacements (thousands of dollars) but it's usually a wire or two that I can repair with a soldering iron and shrink tubing.

Cheap fix would be to disconnect the battery for 10min, then reconnect the battery and drive about 8mph in a straight line for a few seconds so that the EPS can relearn again. If the code goes away, sweet, if it comes back you have a larger failure that requires dealer visit.

Best of luck my dude.
This happened to me...rodent crawled up to my steering harness in the fk8...Honda fixed the harness...but the light just came back on. I'll have to check it out this weekend. Betting dealership tech didn't do a good job

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Recent battery disconnect or alignment? Steering angle sensor? SASs used to be a common hiccup on older Honda’s or was a part that’d go wonky though I don’t recall it coming up in the forum for our Civics.

DRUSA

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Civic Type R 2000 Honda S2000
Country flag
This happened to me...rodent crawled up to my steering harness in the fk8...Honda fixed the harness...but the light just came back on. I'll have to check it out this weekend. Betting dealership tech didn't do a good job
From my experience, if you don't clean the engine bay with degreaser after the repair rodents will return. They smell droppings and think the engine bay is a hangout, without cleaning they return. It is not uncommon for cars to come back the next day or the same week with the same damage. I repaired the injector wiring on a Clarity last month only to have rodents EAT MY REPAIR that night when the customer took the car home, customer thought I was scamming until I brought him into the shop and showed him how they ate my repair.

Honda sells Rodent Tape, an electrical tape with rat killer infused into the tape.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
From my experience, if you don't clean the engine bay with degreaser after the repair rodents will return. They smell droppings and think the engine bay is a hangout, without cleaning they return. It is not uncommon for cars to come back the next day or the same week with the same damage. I repaired the injector wiring on a Clarity last month only to have rodents EAT MY REPAIR that night when the customer took the car home, customer thought I was scamming until I brought him into the shop and showed him how they ate my repair.

Honda sells Rodent Tape, an electrical tape with rat killer infused into the tape.
I keep my car in the garage. One day left it open after coming home...guessing something came in and just found those wires yummy

I checked and all is good and strangely the light hasn't come on...only thing I did was disconnect my flashpro. Be crazy if that was an issue

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
Don’t connect the flash pro when car is on it will trigger the steering Icon it happened to but if you plug it when the car is off and then turn it on it won’t trigger the light this Hondata knows about this and fixed that issue with the newer flash pro

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Don’t connect the flash pro when car is on it will trigger the steering Icon it happened to but if you plug it when the car is off and then turn it on it won’t trigger the light this Hondata knows about this and fixed that issue with the newer flash pro
Ah. So I had mine connected prior to turning the car on, but it came out when I hit a bad bump. Then the light came on. So weird that it causes that. I just removed it lol. Issue solved

omar0123

First Name
Omar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 type r
Country flag
I only noticed it when I plugged it in with the car on ,other than that no problem works perfect since its plugged at all times and if I unplug it and plug in with the car off it never comes on
Sponsored