First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i just removed the steering wheel swapping out the trim pieces, and putting it back together, reconnected the airbag lines and ground plug for the horn, now when i go to turn the car, there's a consistent clicking about 3-4 times once i get outside of 45 degree wheel turn till wheel lock with each direction. The noise is not coming from the engine bay but around the steering wheel itself. It sortra reminds me of that noise that is made when people put cards or zipties so they rub against their bicycle wheel. I have all 4 screws holding the trim in place, the ground screw from the back cover connected and behind the little clip on the left, and the main plug on the right behind the clip. I'm likely going to remove the airbag again and see if i can find anything loose. I hope i didn't damage anything trying to get that bolt out, I did the best i could holding the wheel with my knees while i took a breaker bar to the bolt to remove it. or did i just royally screw myself and might have to buy a new steering column?

I'm kinda tempted to reconnect the battery with the airbag off and see what happens when i rotate the wheel but i get the feeling this will anger the airbag light gods and id rather not leave that code in the car if i can help it. Any ideas?

Honda Civic 10th gen steering wheel clicking while turning after swap IMG_20200715_102005
Sponsored

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
suppose i could look at it, take the wheel off again :/ i dont see how it could have though, all i did was put it back into position when the wheel came off, never removed it or spun it around

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
i did just go out there and reverify that my back cover panel was seated properly against the wheel and it wasnt hitting the shroud as it went around. I had a bit of a trouble with it re attatching and seating properly. i may look look back into it in the next few days

WhiteNoise

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si
Country flag
Yeah, unfortunately a hour job can easily turn into a week of trying to diagnose quarks.

Maybe bring it by a shop and ask a tech to give it a quick look, I’m sure they can identify the sound.

mike_eee

First Name
MIKE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic hatch , 2004 tundra supercharged
Country flag
Yeah, unfortunately a hour job can easily turn into a week of trying to diagnose quarks.

Maybe bring it by a shop and ask a tech to give it a quick look, I’m sure they can identify the sound.
Did you find the issue? My car has the same problem now. It clicks on left turn even binds

mike
Now

OP
OP
Alphaskoom

Alphaskoom

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Coupe Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I ended up buying a new clock spring and replacing it, though I have no idea why it may have broke, only thing i can think of is maybe when loosening the steering wheel bolt, my legs couldn't grasp the steering wheel enough and the wheel lock may have done something to it when the bolt gave way. another possibility is maybe i didn't attach the top half clamshell piece properly reassembling, slides in open, hooks under 2 loops in the back, then clamps down in the front.. maybe i didn't hook it back there properly and only locked the front half.. who knows.. its been months now, sorry for the late update - but a new clock spring fixed it for me. it was relatively cheap too: 15-35 dollar territory if i remember. i also decided to replace it because i broke one of the tiny plastic lock tabs that hold the green wire on the airbag... that didn't sit well with me having that tab broke on something so vital and potentially life threatening if it accidently went off
Sponsored