Fk8tjt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda type r 2018
Country flag
I do not like the steering in +r mode that much, it feels way to artificially stiff. Anyone know any mods or if any tuning software is available to make it sport steering with +r everything else? I know I could get coilovers down the road and just forget about +r mode but mehh maybe someday
Sponsored

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I do not like the steering in +r mode that much, it feels way to artificially stiff. Anyone know any mods or if any tuning software is available to make it sport steering with +r everything else? I know I could get coilovers down the road and just forget about +r mode but mehh maybe someday
I don't believe (as far as I have read), that Honda provides you with a way Customize the 3 Mode settings in any way. They are what they are.
If there is not already aftermarket Tuning software to do this, that would appear to be a product worth developing.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
I understand wanting more power steering, but I’ve never understood what people mean by “artificially stiff.” It is just providing less power steering; it is by definition less artificial.

OP
OP

Fk8tjt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda type r 2018
Country flag
I understand wanting more power steering, but I’ve never understood what people mean by “artificially stiff.” It is just providing less power steering; it is by definition less artificial.
I didnt realize that it was providing less power steering. If that is true then I guess it is pretty good, I heard about some people say that you can feel what the car is doing more without power steering. I wonder if this true with the +r mode. Not bad B)

diskreet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 BMW M2, 550 Spyder replica, 19 R6, 23 KLX300SM
Country flag
I don't buy the claim that the +R mode isn't artificially stiff, but instead it's just less assist. I've had a car without power steering and it felt completely different; much heavier at lower speeds, and lighter as the speed increased for moderate inputs. The weight was very natural at speed, building up as steering input builds.

The CTR steering, especially in +R mode, feels much more consistent. I think Honda programmed it to vary assist, and possibly add resistance (e.g. in +R at high speeds on center), to keep the weight similar in various conditions. This makes it very predictable, but overall the weight is too much IMO. It doesn't need to be this heavy to be direct, it works perfectly in Sport.

Sales@USR

First Name
USR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.unitedspeedracing.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The CTR also uses a steering rack with dual pinions offering a variable ratio. In R mode the ratio provides a quicker responding rack and less wheel rotation lock to lock, amd is a big part of why the feel gets much heavier.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
The CTR also uses a steering rack with dual pinions offering a variable ratio. In R mode the ratio provides a quicker responding rack and less wheel rotation lock to lock, amd is a big part of why the feel gets much heavier.
Just came across this thread. Would you happen to know if the change from one pinion to another is specific to +R mode (with Comfort and Sport being grouped on the other setting)?
Sponsored