Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
Hi all, my Civic 1.5 Turbo is having this problem, a little clunking noise as I slightly turn the steering at low speed or constant turning. The sound is coming exactly from my steering. It happens to be apparent when I'm turning under some bumpy road condition too. What could this problem be? Steering rack?Here's a video, please anyone help me out :

Sponsored

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Judging from your gauge cluster you have maintenance due anyway, so I would bring it into the dealer and mention the steering sound and see what they say...that definitely does not sound right. My main guess would be the steering rack as fluid probably would not cause a sound like that.

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
Judging from your gauge cluster you have maintenance due anyway, so I would bring it into the dealer and mention the steering sound and see what they say...that definitely does not sound right. My main guess would be the steering rack as fluid probably would not cause a sound like that.
Hi thanks for your reply, this video was taken last month until I posted here as I just registered as member. I already done my second oil change service and have the foreman tested just for a while right before doing the oil change, just not long enough I failed to perform the sound it does as in the video. So based on your guess, lack of steering fluid ?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Hi thanks for your reply, this video was taken last month until I posted here as I just registered as member. I already done my second oil change service and have the foreman tested just for a while right before doing the oil change, just not long enough I failed to perform the sound it does as in the video. So based on your guess, lack of steering fluid ?
Based on the noise its making, I don't think it's fluid related but I could be wrong. My guess is that it is most likely the steering rack itself. If you can find a way to reproduce the sound, have someone look at it or show them the video you took. But there is no way of me telling for sure because i'm basing everything off of a video.

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
Based on the noise its making, I don't think it's fluid related but I could be wrong. My guess is that it is most likely the steering rack itself. If you can find a way to reproduce the sound, have someone look at it or show them the video you took. But there is no way of me telling for sure because i'm basing everything off of a video.
Ok. Yeah I did provide the video to the center and they said it's hard to suspect the noise by the video, will probaby make another appointment for a check then. Anyway, what could have cause the steering rack problem to happen? Is it some defect problem or something caused it . Thank you in advance

civicls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic EX-T, 18' Odyssey Elite, 07' Sienna
Country flag
Does anyone neglect to mention the civic...drumroll...HAS ELECTRIC STEERING??? I mean come on, how bout we do a little research before suggestions!

Also, could be CV axle. Bring it in anyways, it's under warranty so why not?

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Does anyone neglect to mention the civic...drumroll...HAS ELECTRIC STEERING??? I mean come on, how bout we do a little research before suggestions!

Also, could be CV axle. Bring it in anyways, it's under warranty so why not?
I kinda had a brain fart when I said the thing about fluid so obviously that was wrong, but regardless the electric motor that powers the steering still could be at fault. A car with electric steering STILL has a steering rack so not sure why you are telling me to do "research" if what I said is still perfectly applicable.

Electric steering does away with the hydraulic systems and pump and instead uses a simple motor to push the steering rack as you turn the steering wheel, there is no such thing as a electric system without a steering rack... So when I said there could be something wrong with the steering rack that entails the electric motor that drives it, it is kind of implied.

Last edited:

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
I kinda had a brain fart when I said the thing about fluid so obviously that was wrong, but regardless the electric motor that powers the steering still could be at fault. A car with electric steering STILL has a steering rack so not sure why you are telling me to do "research" if what I said is still perfectly applicable.

Electric steering does away with the hydraulic systems and pump and instead uses a simple motor to push the steering rack as you turn the steering wheel, there is no such thing as a electric system without a steering rack... So when I said there could be something wrong with the steering rack that entails the electric motor that drives it, it is kind of implied. I kinda had a brain fart when I said the thing about fluid though so obviously that was wrong, but regardless the electric motor that powers the steering still could be at fault.
Isn't diagnosing and fixing these problems what the Dealer's HONDA TRAINED techs are meant to do. If it's Under WARRANTY, then what is the issue .?

Get them to look at it and tell you what is wrong because it is still under Warranty.

Do not agree to pay 1 cent, until they can tell you what is wrong, and if THEY are going to cover any necessary repair under warranty.

If they tell you it's not under Warranty, then 1st get a Written Estimate.

Decide if you find that acceptable, and if you are prepared to to pay Dealer Inflated Prices, or if you want to shop around.

Lastly, if they give you any BS, go find a better dealer ... You have the control of the situation, at least up to the point that you sign a repair order.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
I never said there is no steering rack mr. Engineer. All I said it is electric powered steering.

Gosh, people these days...can't even admit they are at fault when they're clearly wrong! I'm not trying to argue, all I'm saying is I corrected you and yes do your own research.
Don't know if you read what I said, but I clearly said that I messed up with the fluid thing? Seems to me like you just want to start an argument for the sake of it. Look at the way you phrased what you said, you ARE trying to argue, it sounds more like you overreacting for a simple error rather than just reminding someone that the Civic utilizes electric steering and not hydraulic. Which is why I could not tell whether you were also discounting my statement about the steering rack since you quoted my whole post. This forum is meant to share and help people about stuff related about their car and if you don't understand that then I can't help you.

Isn't diagnosing and fixing these problems what the Dealer's HONDA TRAINED techs are meant to do. If it's Under WARRANTY, the what is the concern.?

Get them to look at it and tell you what is wrong because it is still under Warranty.

Do not agree to pay 1 cent, until they can tell you what is wrong, and if THEY are going to cover any necessary repair under warranty.

If they tell you it's not under Warranty, then 1st get a Written Estimate.

Decide if you find that acceptable, and if you are prepared to to pay Dealer Inflated Prices, or if you want to shop around.

Lastly, if they give you any BS, go find a better dealer ... You have the control of the situation, at least up to the point that you sign a repair order.
Don't know if you meant to quote the OP or not but I 110% agree, my first instinct would be to take it into the dealer for an issue like this. Was just giving the OP an idea of what could possibly be wrong, but obviously its impossible to tell for sure with just a video and no diagnosis. Taking it to the dealer is the best move for sure.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic SI Coupe. . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon. . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Pulsar NX . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1987 Nissan Maxima Wagon (2nd Donor Wagon for parts)
Country flag
Don't know if you read what I said, but I clearly said that I messed up with the fluid thing? Seems to me like you just want to start an argument for the sake of it. Look at the way you phrased what you said, you ARE trying to argue, it sounds more like you overreacting for a simple error rather than just reminding someone that the Civic utilizes electric steering and not hydraulic. Which is why I could not tell whether you were also discounting my statement about the steering rack since you quoted my whole post. This forum is meant to share and help people about stuff related about their car and if you don't understand that then I can't help you.

Don't know if you meant to quote the OP or not but I 110% agree, my first instinct would be to take it into the dealer for an issue like this. Was just giving the OP an idea of what could possibly be wrong, but obviously its impossible to tell for sure with just a video and no diagnosis. Taking it to the dealer is the best move for sure.

Doing some research :coffee:, the cost of a new Rack & Pinion is not too bad.

$613 to $1125
Labor: $224 -$288
Parts: $389 -$837

Average Dealer price
$1085 to 2020

Average Shop price
$761 to 1355

More of a concern is, if it is the Rack & Pinion, why has it failed so quickly after only 3 years. ?
The rack & Pinion in my 31 year old Maxima (Hydraulic power steering of course), is still 100% , no play, no noise, smooth as butter, and never had any issues.
(topped it up about 6 years ago, it had just dropped down a little below the MAX fill line after 25 years, and it has remained at that same topped-off filled level for the last 6)

Seems they just build them like they use to in the good old days ?
Don't expect to see many 2018 Civics around in 30 years !!!

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag

$613 to $1125

Average Dealer price
$1085 to 2020

Average Shop price
$761 to 1355

More of a concern is, if it is the Rack & Pinion, why has it failed so quickly after only 3 years. ?
The rack & Pinion in my 31 year old Maxima (Hydraulic power steering of course), is still 100% , no play, no noise, smooth as butter, and never had any issues.
(topped it up about 6 years ago, it had just dropped down a little below the MAX fill line after 25 years, and it has remained at that same topped-off filled level for the last 6)

To be fair though, i havent seen many people complain about the steering on these cars so I dont think that will effect the longeivity of our civics. Plus, electric steering is actually a much less complicated system than hydraulic so it could actually prove to be pretty good in the long term.

jred721

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Accord Sport
Country flag
Ok. Yeah I did provide the video to the center and they said it's hard to suspect the noise by the video, will probaby make another appointment for a check then. Anyway, what could have cause the steering rack problem to happen? Is it some defect problem or something caused it . Thank you in advance
If it is something with the steering rack, it is not user error and it's defenitely something most likely with the motor that controls it if it is. I would say it is a defect because the steering rack on a 2016 vehicle should not be blowing out, regardless of the cause.

SCOPESYS

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
More Research ( I am not going to be accused of not doing Research before I post @@@)

https://www.buyautoparts.com/autoparts/Honda/Civic/Electric_Power_Steering_Rack.html

Where Honda (and you) can get replacement Honda Civic Rack & Pinion assemblies.
https://www.buyautoparts.com/autoparts/Honda/Civic/Electric_Power_Steering_Rack.html
Looks like the Motors are just small, DC motors, that will have Brushes. !!
Probably the Brushes that are probably going to fail first over time, as opposed to any metal bearings or gears. At least there can be no Hydraulic oil leaks !

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag

$613 to $1125

Average Dealer price
$1085 to 2020

Average Shop price
$761 to 1355

Thanks for your information . I wondered too! I bought this car this year , begining of 2018 , but had came across with shocks leaking, got the dealer replaced under warranty and now here comes the steering issue. I wondered if there is really any defect and which is in this case very unlucky to me .

OP
OP
Syl92

Syl92

First Name
Lin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 1.5TCP
Country flag
To be fair though, i havent seen many people complain about the steering on these cars so I dont think that will effect the longeivity of our civics. Plus, electric steering is actually a much less complicated system than hydraulic so it could actually prove to be pretty good in the long term.
I would say i was the very unlucky guy to have this car tons of problem. The first day I purchased this car , drove out instantly experiencing popping sound in my rear wheel(left) , i suspected the abosorber and yeah it was checked by the dealer that the absorber was leaking so it was replaced and fixed. Sooner I experienced a lot more problem. Including this steering issue, SOMETIMES the failure of auto lock which it beeps up to 6 times after I closed my door with the keyless remote taken out. Other than tat, i can hear another knocking sound in the wheel under driver's seat, when sometimes going through some crappy road/ some thicker lane markers. So find them quite disappointing
Sponsored