Steering feel?

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Thoughts? What do you think? How does it compare to your last vehicle(s)? Is this your first car with electric power steering?

I'm personally curious and like the unfiltered feedback here versus a published review.

I would give it an 8.5/10. I love the quick rack, the precise "sporty Honda" feel (I've driven a second gen TSX and it felt pretty similar), and the fact that it at least transmits some feedback.
Sponsored

Justinus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None.
I think it's excellent. My last car was a 2012 Chevy Cruze with an electric steering gear that was replaced under special extended warranty (twice, and one of those times they didn't torque the subframe bolts or put the boot back on, which gave me a free ticket to ask for whatever services I wanted.)

Our other car is a 2014 Chevy Malibu, also with electric steering gear.

I have test driven a late Genesis Coupe, a Subaru BRZ with suspension upgrade and a 2018 Mazda Miata. I find the steering feedback to be excellent from the Si, and steering it around hard corners has been awesome (in sport mode, but sometimes I end up doing something fun and realizing I'm not in sport mode.)

I think the steering is probably my favorite feature of the Si. It's clearly complimented by the excellent suspension, but it stands out. I've had multiple people comment on the steering, as passengers, as well.

OP
OP

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
I think it's excellent. My last car was a 2012 Chevy Cruze with an electric steering gear that was replaced under special extended warranty (twice, and one of those times they didn't torque the subframe bolts or put the boot back on, which gave me a free ticket to ask for whatever services I wanted.)

Our other car is a 2014 Chevy Malibu, also with electric steering gear.

I have test driven a late Genesis Coupe, a Subaru BRZ with suspension upgrade and a 2018 Mazda Miata. I find the steering feedback to be excellent from the Si, and steering it around hard corners has been awesome (in sport mode, but sometimes I end up doing something fun and realizing I'm not in sport mode.)

I think the steering is probably my favorite feature of the Si. It's clearly complimented by the excellent suspension, but it stands out. I've had multiple people comment on the steering, as passengers, as well.
Oh my, that sounds like an absolute mess with the Cruze, but nice you were able to get something out of it.

I agree with you overall, great steering on the Si. I will say, my previous car was a '11 Mazda 3 S and there is no car I have driven with steering feel quite like that one (and I have driven a lot), in particular when driving extremely hard. I would literally shout expletives of joy when running through the twisties. The weighting wasn't amazing but I do miss the amount of feel from a hydraulic rack.

BoostedSiCoupe

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si
Country flag
its great ..in sport mode. in non sport mode it feels light and like any non sporty, economy car. in sport mode it gets very heavy. almost reminds me of my rsx s sterring. that had really heavy sporty steering feels.

Design

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 MS3, 17 ABM Si Sedan
Country flag
This is the first electronic power steering unit that I've driven that offers genuine feedback. It's not as organic as the power steering unit in my Mazda, but it's fairly close. In regular mode I give it a 7-8. Sport mode it's easily a 9.

ToastedSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
It feels more firm and more precise than my 9th gen civic LX. at first, it felt a bit heavy (compared to former car) but now, it feels amazing to handle and use on daily use

racer

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si sedan.
Country flag
I like the feel in my Si. Sport is certainly a little artificially heavy, but does have a nice feel. Nicely weighted overall. Nice feedback or road irregularities and bumps. My previous car with Electronic steering was a 2005.5 base VW Jetta. It was overboosted in comparison.

MarkR171

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Si, '17 MX5, '01 Miata
Country flag
It's fine, that's all. Numb like all electric steering. Pretty much no feedback, just artificial weighting.

My ND MX5 is the same. The frs/86/brz is touted as having amazing steering with a lot of feedback - also bullshit. Numb, but less electric assist so it's just heavier.

I have however owned or driven cars with actual feedback (no power steering or good hydraulic steering) so electric steering cars don't do anything for me, including the Cayman and 911 I've driven with electric steering. It's fine, but I wouldn't call it good feedback.

It's certainly not Nissan Juke Nismo RS bad. That was really bad.

Last edited:

fenix-silver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Si
Country flag
The Si uses a dual pinion steering rack which is supposed to be much better for feel as compared to a single pinion rack where the EPAS motor is on the steering column itself. The only other EPAS car I've really driven is my wife's Highlander, so that's not really a good comparison. In my limited driving of my '19 Si though, the steering seems pretty good.

JNRS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
The frs/86/brz is touted as having amazing steering with a lot of feedback - also bullshit. Numb, but less electric assist so it's just heavier.
The steering in frs/86/brz is actually lighter than the steering in the Civic Si in normal mode. This is on the 17 and up model years, so maybe the previous years had heavier steering. The only difference I feel is in weight, everything else is pretty much the same.

jakdotdot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI
Country flag
Compared to the old SI's with electric racks, this one is noticeably better IMO. Having said that, I really dislike the artificial weight of the sports mode steering.

OP
OP

ablueSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic SI Sedan
Country flag
Compared to the old SI's with electric racks, this one is noticeably better IMO. Having said that, I really dislike the artificial weight of the sports mode steering.
I go back and forth on whether or not I like sport mode steering feel versus normal. I do like how quick it gets, I have never slalomed through corners at the speed the Si can, it is insane. But it does sometimes feel artificial, moreso than normal mode.

I wish there was a way to keep the sport suspension and throttle settings while having the steering in normal mode.

das borgen

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
E36 M3, Ducati 748, '17 EGP Si Coupe
Country flag
I prefer the throttle resolution and both steering weight and feel in normal mode
Sponsored