Steele wheels for winter fitment test (pics) they fit!

Mantihts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8
Country flag
I run a winter wheel and tire set up here in Colorado mostly so that I can get to work everyday (and, really, to driver faster and safer). I bought a set of 18 Gram Lights 57DR for a winter set up. Other than $$, I'm not sure why I would put a set of steel wheels on a car like a CTR. I certainly would not want to look at the steel wheels for 6 months of the year. And, when you sell the CTR, a good aftermarket wheel can be sold, recouping some of the initial costs.
I paid just under 500CAD for my steel wheels, so much less than your setup. Having the flexibility to stay on a steel wheel into the spring thaw is also a plus - I don't have to worry about all the potholes that were widened, and all the streets that were destroyed during the winter that are hiding under their puddles (pools) of water.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Heavier wheels aren't a bad thing for winter driving.
??

I paid just under 500CAD for my steel wheels, so much less than your setup. Having the flexibility to stay on a steel wheel into the spring thaw is also a plus - I don't have to worry about all the potholes that were widened, and all the streets that were destroyed during the winter that are hiding under their puddles (pools) of water.
I get the $$ savings but I don’t get the economy car look of steel wheels on a car like a CTR. But each to either own.

TypeR(black)

First Name
Henry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R (Black), 2009 Civic SI 2DR Coupe (Black)
Country flag
I am considering steel wheels for the winter, in order to shield rotors/calipers/brakes from all the road salt and grime, in order to reduce corrosion and keep things clean. I just replaced rear rotors, caliper brackets, brake pads and spring clips, in order to make them like new again. I also use a steel brush to remove all rust from the axle and hub assembly, and coat with a corrosion inhibitor.

I would go with aluminum rims for the winter, if I could find a design that is closed off, in order to shield the rotors and brakes. $$s is not the issue for me. The issue if finding a solution that keeps rotors and brakes clean, and meets required fitment. 07/10/23
Sponsored