Stealth sub/amp recommendations?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex-t
Country flag
What are your settings for the lc2i and amp? That is, how did you setup the threshold, accubass, and amp gain? I installed a similar setup this past weekend but I haven't found the best settings yet. Bass roll off starts at vol 20 for my ears, but maybe someone with a RTA can confirm?

I know it will all depend on personal preference but I'd like to hear what others have done.
My lc2i is just the standard settings right now while the sub breaks in.

But the way I setup the amp is like this.

I set my bass and treble on the head unit the way I wanted it. I also set the music volume to 24 while I was making adjustments. I noticed I don't play music louder then that. I set the bass EQ level up on the amp until I was satisfied.

Then I set the gain level on the amp while watching it with a volt meter playing some songs I knew hit rather low since I didn't take the time to acquire a tone reference track. Using some math you can get a good idea of what your gain max should be without causing speaker damage.

Take your rms output and multiply that by your speaker impedance. Then take the square root of that number. Since I have two 4ohm coils wired in series, it has 2 ohms of impedance. Speakers all have different setups though. Your specs or better yet a volt meter will verify what your impedance is.

So for me it was 500x2=1000. Then sqrt of 1000 is 31 and change.

If the max rms of your sub is lower then your amp, then use that number. In my case the rms of my sub exceeds my amp by double.

So i turned up the gain until the output voltage AC was about 27-28v during the loud bass drops leaving some head room for error.

My HP filter I dialed down a little bit to clean up the sound.

I found that setting up the amp while the music was at the highest level I ever really listen to (24) I don't have much bass roll off at higher volumes. There is some but Im going to let the sub play in for a couple weeks before I make any changes to it.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Sorry for the delayed response!
Sponsored

DontDrinknDerive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T
My lc2i is just the standard settings right now while the sub breaks in.

But the way I setup the amp is like this.

I set my bass and treble on the head unit the way I wanted it. I also set the music volume to 24 while I was making adjustments. I noticed I don't play music louder then that. I set the bass EQ level up on the amp until I was satisfied.

Then I set the gain level on the amp while watching it with a volt meter playing some songs I knew hit rather low since I didn't take the time to acquire a tone reference track. Using some math you can get a good idea of what your gain max should be without causing speaker damage.

Take your rms output and multiply that by your speaker impedance. Then take the square root of that number. Since I have two 4ohm coils wired in series, it has 2 ohms of impedance. Speakers all have different setups though. Your specs or better yet a volt meter will verify what your impedance is.

So for me it was 500x2=1000. Then sqrt of 1000 is 31 and change.

If the max rms of your sub is lower then your amp, then use that number. In my case the rms of my sub exceeds my amp by double.

So i turned up the gain until the output voltage AC was about 27-28v during the loud bass drops leaving some head room for error.

My HP filter I dialed down a little bit to clean up the sound.

I found that setting up the amp while the music was at the highest level I ever really listen to (24) I don't have much bass roll off at higher volumes. There is some but Im going to let the sub play in for a couple weeks before I make any changes to it.

Hopefully that helps a bit. Sorry for the delayed response!
Interesting setup. I'm all about letting the math drive the design, or in this case the setup, so I would greatly appreciate if you could link me to a write up about the formulas you used.

Either way, thanks for the response and happy listening.:thumbsup:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex-t
Country flag

rackz30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 exl
Just finished the Rockford fosgate pre loaded sub. Seems stealth enough for me. Hits pretty good. Since its preloaded, install was very simple. Took less than an hour.

Overall very pleased with the sound quality of the sub. Really rounds out the system, the factory setup on anything below the touring has non existent bass.

image.jpeg
I'm thinking of getting the same sub but Im just a little concern about rattling 'coz thats one thing that really pisses me off. lol Question: Does this sub gives crazy rattling?! Im not planning on playing it full blast.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex-t
Country flag
I'm thinking of getting the same sub but Im just a little concern about rattling 'coz thats one thing that really pisses me off. lol Question: Does this sub gives crazy rattling?! Im not planning on playing it full blast.
Ironically it's not the super low bass lines that make the rear deck rattle. It's the bass found in a lot of mainstream "rap/pop" songs. At least, for me anyway.

I think just about anything you put in the trunk will cause rattling to some degree. It also depends on your music type. I haven't dealt with my rattling yet but I think you could mitigate it easy enough. I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot.

rackz30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 exl
Ironically it's not the super low bass lines that make the rear deck rattle. It's the bass found in a lot of mainstream "rap/pop" songs. At least, for me anyway.

I think just about anything you put in the trunk will cause rattling to some degree. It also depends on your music type. I haven't dealt with my rattling yet but I think you could mitigate it easy enough. I wouldn't worry about it a whole lot.
alright thank you for the input. I will purchase this sub this weekend and hopefully it will do justice. :)

rackz30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 exl
thanks.jpg

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread for convincing me to get the rockford sub. I didn't wire it myself-- I paid to have someone do it because I didn't wanna screw things up nor do I have any of the tools. But the difference is literally night and day. I can actually enjoy music in my car now-- everything sounds so much cleaner. I was first against a trunk sub and wanted one under the passenger seat, but this was worth it 100%.
If anyone is on the fence about the sub, do it. I can't even turn the sub up to 40% capacity in bass because it gets too crazy. That rattle is annoying but I stuck a few socks up in crevices where I heard the ratting, and it helped a lot.

Thank you guys again!!

How did they run all your wiring?! Did they cut/tap/solder the wires directly to your speaker?!

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
There's is no need to cut into the rear speaker wires or get any kind of adapter. If you look at the rear speakers you can see the metal terminals are fully exposed. All you have to do is strip off an inch of speaker wire and wrap it around that metal terminal. I did that and then wrapped it with electrical tape. When you want to take it off it will be exactly like it was stock and your rear speakers will still be fully functional.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
I'm in the process of doing this, how did you get the polarity of the speakers since they aren't marked?

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
those of you with the p300, what do you have your settings at? I'm at 11:00 on all three but still not completely satisfied. i listen to country and edm and the occasional hits on the radio.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic ex-l 2016
those of you with the p300, what do you have your settings at? I'm at 11:00 on all three but still not completely satisfied. i listen to country and edm and the occasional hits on the radio.
Yikes..my p300 12 is supposed to be here today.

What don't you like about it?

Quicksipper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' EX-T, 05' LX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Yikes..my p300 12 is supposed to be here today.

What don't you like about it?
don't get me wrong, I love it! it's just some songs hit hard and have nice low bass notes, and others not as much. I honestly think it comes down to the settings I have it at. mainly the gain and xover frequencies. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the two. I did solve some rattling issues that made me able to turn it up a little louder and it sounds better, but I'm still fiddling with it. I tried to use the sub with out the gain (volume) knob but it's a must for the different variations of songs I listen to, once I installed it I was a lot happier.

kyle_agronick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX Sensing
Country flag
I just installed a sub and was able to do it all without splicing or cutting any of my car's wires. Honda has been using the same speaker connectors for 20 years. You can go into any junkyard and rip them out to get the male side. You can order the female side online https://www.amazon.com/Honda-Speaker-Adapter-Harness-Connector/dp/B0015G17CS.

Connect both adapters with a third speaker wire coming out of where you joined the two connectors. Now you have a connector that will snap into your factory wires with the other end snapping into your speaker. Take the speaker wire you connected in the middle and connect it to a line out converter with a built in remote turn on. Now you have you have a remote turn on as well

I built two of these and connected them to both rear speakers. I even learned how to solder. I'm very happy with the results. The only parts of my car I had to take apart was the trim to run the power wire. That went right through the hole for the hood latch.
Sponsored