OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic hatchback sport
Country flag
Replaced the charge pipe, retapped the inlet pipe, and still leaking some boost. Losing about 1 psi compared to tc target in logs. Pretty stumped as to where it’s leaking since I ran 30 psi through it with an air compressor and heard nothing leaking. Might get it fog checked if I can find someone that does that around where I live.

Honda Civic 10th gen Stealth hatch 4E701C86-A437-45BC-AD53-8F43D670D069

Honda Civic 10th gen Stealth hatch AB5E99BC-8EAC-4DC5-AC71-182E2B74FAEC

Honda Civic 10th gen Stealth hatch 92026C25-8685-4EB7-A1F3-A0BE7DFDB0F0

Honda Civic 10th gen Stealth hatch B1D8D5C2-5446-4790-9EA3-A866E0125F3D

AngryLettuce

First Name
Badger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Type-R
Country flag
Boost leaks suck.

Merely a suggestion: When checking for leaks in (fluid filled) pipework you pressurise to (x)1.5 the nominal operating pressure and leave for 45mins.
When your system is full of pressure/air, soak all of the connections and hoses in some leak detection fluid. You could use a little washing-up-liquid instead, but remember this is corrosive so would need washing off thoroughly afterwards.

It's always easier to trace a leak if the system is constantly being pressurised. Maybe you have a hair-line cracked hose/manifold somewhere that only opens with heat expansion?

I made a diy smoke machine to investigate a boost leak on my Disco, I used a jam-jar and some silicone hose attached to a small aquarium air pump, and filled the jar with smoke pellets. I don't have the time to visit a garage with an actual smoke machine and don't live anywhere near a garage that has one.
I'm sure with some ingenuity you can boil some baby-oil and send that through your intercooler/inlet/hoses etc.?

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Boost leaks suck.

Merely a suggestion: When checking for leaks in (fluid filled) pipework you pressurise to (x)1.5 the nominal operating pressure and leave for 45mins.
When your system is full of pressure/air, soak all of the connections and hoses in some leak detection fluid. You could use a little washing-up-liquid instead, but remember this is corrosive so would need washing off thoroughly afterwards.

It's always easier to trace a leak if the system is constantly being pressurised. Maybe you have a hair-line cracked hose/manifold somewhere that only opens with heat expansion?

I made a diy smoke machine to investigate a boost leak on my Disco, I used a jam-jar and some silicone hose attached to a small aquarium air pump, and filled the jar with smoke pellets. I don't have the time to visit a garage with an actual smoke machine and don't live anywhere near a garage that has one.
I'm sure with some ingenuity you can boil some baby-oil and send that through your intercooler/inlet/hoses etc.?

yea it's driving me insane. I took your recommendation and turned the compressor up to ~40-45 psi and still nothing. I also reinstalled the inlet pipe thinking maybe the gasket was just poorly seated and air was escaping pre compressor and it's still the same. I attached some datalogs in a post over in the tuning subforum if you want to check it out. I may try the smoke tomorrow if I have some time to get a makeshift fog maker made. I'm thinking maybe it's a problem outside of the boost system.

Mrbadwrench

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 civic ex-t sedan
Country flag
What's your data log look like? You say you're low 1 psi but mine looked like this (about 1psi low) after installing an intercooler, and drob looked at my datalogs and said it looked fine.

Honda Civic 10th gen Stealth hatch Screenshot_20210410-212824

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
What's your data log look like? You say you're low 1 psi but mine looked like this (about 1psi low) after installing an intercooler, and drob looked at my datalogs and said it looked fine.

Screenshot_20210410-212824.png
check out my last thread made on my profile I posted it there

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No more boost leaks, I think I was losing tiny amounts of air out of the inlet and re installing it solved that. New tune date is May 17 unless someone cancels and I can slide in earlier than that. I was also given a proper base map for the w1 based on a log I sent.

Pretty relieved now, and the car feels great

naldy

First Name
mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport Hatchback
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
@Gherbo23 Just stopped by to say beautiful fucking build man, and quite the photography, your build definitely lives up to the Stealth Hatch name

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I decided to go with an etune instead of going to his shop. Mostly because since this is my first car and pro tuning experience, I'd like to see the little changes as we go along as a potential learning experience, and I know some CVT's here have been e tuned and they really like the tune based on street driving logs since the CVT can get hot quick in a shop. And also because I'm super impatient LOL.

Derek and I are on revision 5 now, and things are feeling good so far. Can't wait until the full power gets unleashed

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Tune is now done, I definitely recommend Derek if you’re looking to custom tune your 10th gen! He’s super thorough, and you can feel the differences as the tune progresses.

overall, when driving around town, it’s not the most torquey car in the world due to the larger turbo and the new power band because of it, but you really see where the oem turbo lacks when you’re pulling up in the rpm ranges, and on highways. Above 4k rpms, it’s a rocket.

here’s a 0-90 run

https://youtube.com/shorts/5x0fw8J7ZVk?feature=share

And here’s a highway pull

https://youtube.com/shorts/TN6QLzyXUcA?feature=share

Love the sounds this turbo makes. I’m still on stock exhaust + catless downpipe and a resonator swap. The stock exhaust is pretty ideal for a daily, it’s barely noticeably modified, the turbo has some whistles, and hits the recirc valve super loud. Videos do it no justice. My friend drives a 3.0 Supra (stock) and he’s jealous of how aggressive my turbo sounds when he’s next to me lol. I am considering getting the 27won full turbo back for more flow and a more refined sound, but not 100% on that.

If I do anything else it’ll be seats and a carbon hood wrapped the same color to maybe start chopping some weight off.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely beautiful build, and sheesh she is fast!! I take it you have the CVT? How much HP are you making with all the mods done at this point? I've read that if you upgrade to a bigger turbo, do the appropriate cooling mods (intercooler, CVT cooler, etc), and have a solid tune, that you won't experience any issues with the CVT so long as you don't brake boost or do burnouts, launches, etc. Torque is the enemy of the CVTs.

I have an EX-L FK7 myself and have been looking into mods, but the biggest thing I fear is popping the CVT. Seeing your results brings me hope. Keep up the good work!

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Absolutely beautiful build, and sheesh she is fast!! I take it you have the CVT? How much HP are you making with all the mods done at this point? I've read that if you upgrade to a bigger turbo, do the appropriate cooling mods (intercooler, CVT cooler, etc), and have a solid tune, that you won't experience any issues with the CVT so long as you don't brake boost or do burnouts, launches, etc. Torque is the enemy of the CVTs.

I have an EX-L FK7 myself and have been looking into mods, but the biggest thing I fear is popping the CVT. Seeing your results brings me hope. Keep up the good work!
Thank you! Yes it is a CVT. I’m not quite sure how much HP is being put down, but based on a few other cvt cars that got dyno tuned instead of e tuned with similar parts they’re getting somewhere between 285-305 ish with ethanol. I’d say probably like 255-265 with 93

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thank you! Yes it is a CVT. I’m not quite sure how much HP is being put down, but based on a few other cvt cars that got dyno tuned instead of e tuned with similar parts they’re getting somewhere between 285-305 ish with ethanol. I’d say probably like 255-265 with 93
Keep us posted on the longevity of the CVT! This will definitely be something I do if it'll hold up long term once I get mine paid off. Disappointed I couldn't find a manual, but 255hp in a car that (after some weight loss) can weigh around 3,000lbs with someone in it is very much impressive. Power to weight ratio would be 11.8p/w (comparisons being a Type R, 3,250lbs with me in it / 306hp is 10.6; 2021 Corolla HB 3,190lbs / 168hp = 18.9p/w), and still has it's wonderful handling characteristics.

Sorry for all the questions, but how much did all the performance mods cost? And what MPG are you seeing currently? You don't know just how excited this makes me haha. While I love my Civic stock, knowing I can crank out more power is a nice bonus for me.

OP
OP
Gherbo23

Gherbo23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Keep us posted on the longevity of the CVT! This will definitely be something I do if it'll hold up long term once I get mine paid off. Disappointed I couldn't find a manual, but 255hp in a car that (after some weight loss) can weigh around 3,000lbs with someone in it is very much impressive. Power to weight ratio would be 11.8p/w (comparisons being a Type R, 3,250lbs with me in it / 306hp is 10.6; 2021 Corolla HB 3,190lbs / 168hp = 18.9p/w), and still has it's wonderful handling characteristics.

Sorry for all the questions, but how much did all the performance mods cost? And what MPG are you seeing currently? You don't know just how excited this makes me haha. While I love my Civic stock, knowing I can crank out more power is a nice bonus for me.
yea, handling on the hatch is pretty awesome. You can easily take hard bends at double the suggested speed, and I’m pretty sure if I had bucket seats I could confidently go faster. I slide around more than the car does haha. I’m not sure how much everything costs but I’d say easily up into the 6+ thousand range depending on quality of parts you choose.

for the first 25k miles, I kept it bone stock, often in eco mode too getting like 40+ mpg on 91 gas. I’m now at 26-27mpg with an e30 blend. I just tipped 35k miles recently and drive a lot, more so recently because it’s tons of fun lol.

I think my p/w ratio is around 10 given the ethanol blend and some minor weight reduction stuff like the spare and aftermarket downpipe

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cool! Stock I see anywhere between 35 and 40mpg rn, tho I have a Ktuner w/ Phearable tune ready to be installed, and I have a K&N drop-in filter right now. I plan on doing the Phearable, downpipe, some weight reduction, then eventually a cai, intercooler, then may look into the w1 turbo upgrade. Will definitely be following closely.

Aside from spare tire and tools delete, front seats, and maybe hood what all can I / have you deleted? Do you still have your underbelly/under-skirt?
Sponsored