ScubaLou

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 2014 VFR800
Country flag
Did you try getting your wife some back support?
That was gonna be my next option, I found a link to a good Amazon cushion somebody else posted in a similar thread that I was going to try for 30 bucks. Can’t hurt. The ultimate solution is A seat , but something is better than nothing and could be just as good!
Sponsored

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
That was gonna be my next option, I found a link to a good Amazon cushion somebody else posted in a similar thread that I was going to try for 30 bucks. Can’t hurt. The ultimate solution is A seat , but something is better than nothing and could be just as good!
and cheaper!

my OCD wont allow for mismatched seats, but aftermarket might not bee too much better unless you opt for some better cushioned seats perhaps? but to buy them, install it then to have her not like them either might not really be an option lol

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
Hey all - I know this post is going to get a lot of flack from people telling me to get a new wife, suck it up or some other nonsense. I get it. I love the seats but my wife doesn’t, looking for help for answers only.

Wondering if a direct passenger seat swap from a standard civic Into a type R is possible in regards to the wiring and if there any issues with it. Wife hates the seats, Hates driving in my car simply because of that.

Had a focus ST before this with full leather Recaros, and let me tell you those seats were tight and not the most comfortable. I love the seats in the R and couldn’t be happier.

I am the only one who drives the car so it would need to be passenger seat only.
Did she like those seats?

OP
OP
ScubaLou

ScubaLou

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
and cheaper!

my OCD wont allow for mismatched seats, but aftermarket might not bee too much better unless you opt for some better cushioned seats perhaps? but to buy them, install it then to have her not like them either might not really be an option lol
Having mismatched seats wouldn’t kill me, but I wouldn’t love it. I probably wouldn’t go straight aftermarket due to price, I figured I could probably pullpassenger seat out of a wrecked standard civic for a pretty decent price.l if i Could find one that the airbags had not been deployed on.

A new seat for her would have been a true gesture of compromise, considering she has been the opposite of thrilled regarding my previous car choices, and I generally told her tough luck this is my car.

But since I enjoy driving, and I preferred driving, especially on longer trips, in my best interest to get her as comfortable as possible so that

a: I can drive the car I love and enjoy doing it
B: I don’t have to ride in her Sentra or drive her Sentra
C: I don’t have to hear about how uncomfortable the seats are or grunts every time she has to get out of the car haha.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
First, What EXACTLY does she not like about the seat?
How about having it modded at a reputable upholstery shop?
They can change every aspect of the seat that she disagrees with.

OP
OP
ScubaLou

ScubaLou

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I think I really spoiled her, because for about a year I thought that I could be cool and mature and just drive a non-sports, non-stick car and I had a 2014 Volvo XC 70 T6, we did have the 300 Hp turbo six and was pretty sweet, but it just didn’t tickle me the same.

In hindsight, I really did love that car and wish I had not sold it, and that I had that in addition to the R. Told her if she would buy one of those I would cover half the cost of it because we both loved that car.

OP
OP
ScubaLou

ScubaLou

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
First, What EXACTLY does she not like about the seat?
How about having it modded at a reputable upholstery shop?
They can change every aspect of the seat that she disagrees with.
Seat high, High bolsters, slightly squeezing at the lower back and the lack of a headrest I can be adjusted.

To permanently modify the seat, at least if I swapped one it would not affect the integrity of the vehicle being what it was intended to be because I can put it back to stock if I wanted.

RBrackett

First Name
Ramon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R Aegean Blue Metallic
Country flag
Seat high, High bolsters, slightly squeezing at the lower back and the lack of a headrest I can be adjusted.

To permanently modify the seat, at least if I swapped one it would not affect the integrity of the vehicle being what it was intended to be because I can put it back to stock if I wanted.
maybe see if you can get a seat out of another wrecked R to modify and keep your seat to revert back to stock?

OP
OP
ScubaLou

ScubaLou

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
maybe see if you can get a seat out of another wrecked R to modify and keep your seat to revert back to stock?
That’s actually a pretty solid idea, can retain the original look as well. I never even thought of that. Good call! Shout out to anybody on here who can hook me up with one single passenger seat!

Ultimateone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 STI
Country flag
Lmao at this thread, sorry about this reminds me of all my exes in my Evos and STI's whatever the hell else I owned :lol:

bcrichster

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Sport 2.0L, 1998 Civic LX D16-MiniMe
Country flag
Hey all - I know this post is going to get a lot of flack from people telling me to get a new wife, suck it up or some other nonsense. I get it. I love the seats but my wife doesn’t, looking for help for answers only.

Wondering if a direct passenger seat swap from a standard civic Into a type R is possible in regards to the wiring and if there any issues with it. Wife hates the seats, Hates driving in my car simply because of that.

Had a focus ST before this with full leather Recaros, and let me tell you those seats were tight and not the most comfortable. I love the seats in the R and couldn’t be happier.

I am the only one who drives the car so it would need to be passenger seat only.
Maybe look and see if the Sport trim seats will work.. they're non-heated and have them side airbags.. just a thought.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
I can recall at least one incidence of someone swapping seats from another trim level (Si seat into some other trim) and the airbag seemed to not be compatible (airbag light would never go out).

Last I remember they were going to take it to the dealer, but I never saw what happened after that. Maybe worth a search.

Its possible that based on the seat shape/design they use different airbags that are not compatible or based on the origin of the vehicle they have a different supplier of airbags.

Edit: It was this thread and no resolution was ever shared. https://www.civicx.com/forum/threads/si-seat-swap-thread-again.49426/#post-934248

Proceed with caution if you attempt swapping out for another trim's seats. Unless you don't care about the airbags.

Last edited:

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
That’s actually a pretty solid idea, can retain the original look as well. I never even thought of that. Good call! Shout out to anybody on here who can hook me up with one single passenger seat!
keep an eye on the parts sites like www.ahparts.com

They had type R seats as recent as last week, I dug through the 2 R's they have and looks like the seats sold. They do have Si seats which are very similar but $500 without the airbag seems a bit steep.

JT Si

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Country flag
keep an eye on the parts sites like www.ahparts.com

They had type R seats as recent as last week, I dug through the 2 R's they have and looks like the seats sold. They do have Si seats which are very similar but $500 without the airbag seems a bit steep.
The Si seats I see there labeled "without airbag" have no signs of the airbags blowing. They look exactly as they should. If the airbags blew, the seats would be blown open.

I can't tell if they for some reason don't think they have airbags (despite the tag that's visible in their photos) or if there is additional information they aren't sharing, such as the seats not being in the photographed condition.

Edit: Just to cover the base of "they removed the airbag from the seat and sold it seperately", well the yellow airbag wiring harness is part of the airbag module and is clearly shown in the photographs. Either they are wrong or the seats are not as pictured.
Sponsored

Last edited: