ScubaLou

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 2014 VFR800
Country flag
The Si seats I see there labeled "without airbag" have no signs of the airbags blowing. They look exactly as they should. If the airbags blew, the seats would be blown open.

I can't tell if they for some reason don't think they have airbags (despite the tag that's visible in their photos) or if there is additional information they aren't sharing, such as the seats not being in the photographed condition.

Edit: Just to cover the base of "they removed the airbag from the seat and sold it seperately", well the yellow airbag wiring harness is part of the airbag module and is clearly shown in the photographs. Either they are wrong or the seats are not as pictured.
worth keeping an eye on.

Now, some people have said the mounting brackets in the R are different from other models, are they the same as the SI though? is anyone able to accurately speak on this subject or is it all just speculation? I'd be interested in hearing from someone who has actually changed out the seats even if it was for a true racing seat.
Sponsored

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I've seen R seats in an Accord, in a regular hatch, and in a Si. I highly doubt they are any different tbh, I don't see why Honda would make it different. I would suggest getting an Si seat, they are very comfortable compared to the CTR seats.

knavekid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R (Rallye Red), 2002 RSX-S (shell)
Country flag
Looking at the seat part numbers for 2017-2019 Civic 5-doors and sedans with manual seats, while the seat part numbers vary, the manual front seat slide lever part number is consistent. This means that all the manual seat rails use the same pull lever that you lift to slide the seat fore and aft. This is an indication that these seats likely have the same rail mounting features. Looking at the service manual, the front seat removal and installation instructions are common for all Civic models. Regarding the air bag system, there is nothing in the service manual airbag system schematics that differentiate between the passenger seat connections for Civic models. The seat heater is on a separate connector that could be left disconnected if the replacement seat had heaters. I would look for a 2017 and up Civic LX (sedan or 5-door) which should have manual seats. Many of the Civic trim levels have power seats it seems.

OP
OP
ScubaLou

ScubaLou

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Civic Type R, 2014 VFR800
Country flag
Looking at the seat part numbers for 2017-2019 Civic 5-doors and sedans with manual seats, while the seat part numbers vary, the manual front seat slide lever part number is consistent. This means that all the manual seat rails use the same pull lever that you lift to slide the seat fore and aft. This is an indication that these seats likely have the same rail mounting features. Looking at the service manual, the front seat removal and installation instructions are common for all Civic models. Regarding the air bag system, there is nothing in the service manual airbag system schematics that differentiate between the passenger seat connections for Civic models. The seat heater is on a separate connector that could be left disconnected if the replacement seat had heaters. I would look for a 2017 and up Civic LX (sedan or 5-door) which should have manual seats. Many of the Civic trim levels have power seats it seems.
Thank you very much. This is great information and what I was hoping for. like I said there seems to be a lot of speculation about airbags and mounting brackets, but what you provided seems to be the most concrete info that could point me in the right direction.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
My wife loves the CTR seat once she is in it, but misses the ease of getting in and out of the SI, let alone her car. But the seats - front ones anyway- are so much better than the SI seats it is well worth the extra effort. We are not talking Lotus Elise contortions.
I am the only one who drives it. Not her thing. And yes, she can drive a stick.
Does your spouse hate sitting in the seat, or just getting in and out of it?
I would not change it out- a lot can go wrong, especially swapping seats on this model.
Sponsored