Stalling issue in 2022 civic

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic LX Black Pearl
Country flag
I took it to the dealer twice and they cannot find what is wrong this will now be my third time, and it will be there until Monday
It happens randomly by a light or a stop sign after four to five hours of driving. I know the 2019 accord had the same issues pertaining to a faulty fuel pump, but shouldnt they figure it out already if it was.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
No OBD codes?

If not, it is probably the ECU that is faulty. That happened to me a long time ago.

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No OBD codes?

If not, it is probably the ECU that is faulty. That happened to me a long time ago.
Yeah man they cannot find anything and it is annoying. COVID is a good excuse for them not to even give a loaner. I am waiting for one more repair before filing a lemon law claim.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Yeah man they cannot find anything and it is annoying. COVID is a good excuse for them not to even give a loaner. I am waiting for one more repair before filing a lemon law claim.
Good luck and let us what happens.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was about to say Lemon Law but you're already on that wavelength.

rwk226

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 BMW 535xi N55
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Try to get the issue on video if possible, explaining how to repeat it. Record any encounters with the dealership and their response. Maybe try a different dealership even. Since it's a 2022 model this could be the start of a warranty / recall, so get as much information as you can to help your case if the dealership/s wind up refusing to help.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
How do we know if it's a lemon or an incompetent mechanic ?

I would go to another dealer

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic LX Sedan NA 2.0 L CVT
Country flag
I took it to the dealer twice and they cannot find what is wrong this will now be my third time, and it will be there until Monday
It happens randomly by a light or a stop sign after four to five hours of driving. I know the 2019 accord had the same issues pertaining to a faulty fuel pump, but shouldnt they figure it out already if it was.
It might sound kind of stupid, but I heard that the new 2022 civics have that start/stop system technology to increase fuel efficiency. Do you think the problem could have something to do with that?

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
It might sound kind of stupid, but I heard that the new 2022 civics have that start/stop system technology to increase fuel efficiency. Do you think the problem could have something to do with that?

Start and stop system technology !

Oh no. I hate that.
I'll keep my 2018 as long as I can.

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No because in my case the check battery comes on. In sports mode that feature is turned off. I always have to press the off button in drive to turn that annoying feature off.

I am aware of the adaptive turn off feature I hate it.

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I bought the car from them and they are the only semi honest dealers since they want to keep their reputation. The other ones in LA ripped me off. They told me it could be a defective battery and replacing it.

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
No because in my case the check battery comes on. In sports mode that feature is turned off. I always have to press the off button in drive to turn that annoying feature off.

I am aware of the adaptive turn off feature I hate it.
I bought the car from them and they are the only semi honest dealers since they want to keep their reputation. The other ones in LA ripped me off. They told me it could be a defective battery and replacing it.
Yeah, I hate that they put the stop/start technology in the 11th gen civics. Thank goodness at least you can disable it albeit you have to do it every time you start the car. I do the same thing with the collision mitigation system, I've heard some civic owners were going highway speeds when the radar malfunctioned and the system slammed on the brakes at like 60-70mph so I don't trust it.

If the car stalls and there's a check battery light, the only thing I can think of is to check the battery terminals and make sure they're not loose and make sure they're tightened all the way. You can go to Autozone and they'll test your battery and alternator for free I think if you wanna fact check the dealership on their faulty battery claim. Maybe check the belt that drives the alternator to make sure it's not slipping, like check for marks on it in case for some reason it's not charging the battery properly. I hope you figure out the problem soon and you're right to be wary of the dealership. Let us know how things go for you and hopefully someone else on this board can help figure it out too. Good luck!

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, I hate that they put the stop/start technology in the 11th gen civics. Thank goodness at least you can disable it albeit you have to do it every time you start the car. I do the same thing with the collision mitigation system, I've heard some civic owners were going highway speeds when the radar malfunctioned and the system slammed on the brakes at like 60-70mph so I don't trust it.

If the car stalls and there's a check battery light, the only thing I can think of is to check the battery terminals and make sure they're not loose and make sure they're tightened all the way. You can go to Autozone and they'll test your battery and alternator for free I think if you wanna fact check the dealership on their faulty battery claim. Maybe check the belt that drives the alternator to make sure it's not slipping, like check for marks on it in case for some reason it's not charging the battery properly. I hope you figure out the problem soon and you're right to be wary of the dealership. Let us know how things go for you and hopefully someone else on this board can help figure it out too. Good luck!
My 2019 hatchback did the same thing I was fortunately not on the highway but it falsely claimed I was in a crash and the mitigation system went on and I had issues accelerating since the breaks went on I almost got rear ended by the light. I had to go in the parking lot to reset the system.

One of reasons I did a trade in. The car is still at dealer and I got a loaner after I gave them a lecture of needing a car. I have no idea why its taking them so long to figure it out but its still better then me dying on the road because the idiot behind me cannot wait 3-4 sec

Last edited:
OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They could not fine anything I am trying to see if I can get in touch with a sales representative otherwise I will trade it in next door to a Nissan dealership. However, since those cars are made in Mexico they could have more problems than my Canadian Civic. I have no idea what to do.

civicdriver_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
They could not fine anything I am trying to see if I can get in touch with a sales representative otherwise I will trade it in next door to a Nissan dealership. However, since those cars are made in Mexico they could have more problems than my Canadian Civic. I have no idea what to do.
I wouldn't trade it in, they're going to ream you as much as possible on the trade for sure. You said what basically happened is your car stalled and the check battery light came on right? If I were in your position, I would check the most simple fixes first. Check the battery terminals to see if they are loose, it could be as easy as that and dealership mechanics aren't the brightest sometimes or avoid doing warranty work since they don't make money off it, so check the terminals first, it's simple. I would also check the fan belt that drives the alternator to make sure it's on properly, if it isn't you should see like the belt looks scratched up. You can watch a Youtube video if you don't know how to check these things.

If the terminals are on tight and fine, go to Autozone and have the battery and alternator tested. They test it for free I'm like 90% sure and they'll be able to tell you if there's a problem with your battery or alternator. I searched around for people having the same issue as you and some of them found out they had a problem with their alternator and some also just had a loose connector on their battery terminal. Let's hope it's one of those.

Lastly, If your battery and alternator are fine, I would try to find an independent mechanic you can trust. Ask your friends and family and ask around, if they don't know or you can't, google some mechanics around your area and look at google reviews. Usually if you go to a mechanic and tell them your problem and ask to check it out they'll usually only charge around $100 to take a look.

Also, remember that your vehicle is covered under a warranty and if that mechanic finds anything wrong with it, there's a chance that Honda will reimburse you if you get in touch with the company. Make sure to contact Honda the company in this case, I wouldn't go to the dealership, I really don't trust them at all especially during the pandemic. They have a lot of overhead costs and it's really hard for them to make money right now so they'll try to squeeze anything they can out of you. Warranty work doesn't make them any money so they'll avoid it as long as possible if they're crooked. Do the steps above in order and let me know how this goes. Good luck and don't stress too much yet, it could be a simple fix.
Sponsored