OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic LX Black Pearl
Country flag
I was sick for two weeks so I didn't drove my car as much. Today even without any adapter the car would stall and have the check battery light on.

Yesterday I had something plugged into the cigarette lighter and the dealership was so sure it was the adapter that they denied even looking at it.

I made a different appointment with another dealership next Thurs and also filed complaint with corporate. Not only does the car stall but shakes when I brake which usually would point to a bad throttle body.
Sponsored

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
I was sick for two weeks so I didn't drove my car as much. Today even without any adapter the car would stall and have the check battery light on.

Yesterday I had something plugged into the cigarette lighter and the dealership was so sure it was the adapter that they denied even looking at it.

I made a different appointment with another dealership next Thurs and also filed complaint with corporate. Not only does the car stall but shakes when I brake which usually would point to a bad throttle body.
How long had you had "something" plugged into the cigarette lighter?

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Ok after yelling at the dealership and then they turning me away because I had an adapter plugged into my civic I went elsewhere and they still cannot find anything. I decided since I cannot narrow it down its possible I might have a dirty fuel line. I did not have a funnel for the capless gas tank so some of the fuel cleaner spilled our but some got in. I ran the car for awhile and it would now stall a lot but a few more days of driving and it has stopped for the time being.
I also bought a funnel and will pour more fuel cleaner when I get the funnel from Amazon.

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I always thought fuel cleaners were a scam, but my dad used it and his car would always run without issues. I also used cleaners on the last two civics and except for cleaning my break calipers the cleaners did help.

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Not a total waste of time the other dealer finally had my second key.

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I got my funnel poured the cleaner in drove 6 hours broke hard a bunch of times because of the crappy LA traffic, and then I put it on econ mode because the dealer said that could be a reason and the car still drove perfectly fine. I am putting one more bottle in and drive the car for another week before I congratulate myself and convince myself the problem is solved.

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Which fuel cleaner do you use? Or it is a injector cleaner ?
Did you often drive at low speed in traffic or you drive mostly a high speed ?
Driving in low speed in traffic jam is very bad for car engine

What STP Fuel Cleaner write ;

• STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner helps clean entire fuel system in one treatment.
  • Helps Restore lost power and acceleration
  • Helps Save Gas by Removing deposits throughout the fuel system
  • Reduce hard starts and engine hesitation
  • Lower emissions by reducing deposits
  • Reduce the need for higher octane fuel to stop knock and ping
  • Safe for all gasoline engines
  • One bottle treats up to 79 L (21 US gal)
  • Size: 155 mL (5.2 oz)

Velonici

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 EX Hatchback, 2004 Toyota 4Runner
Country flag
1. Why are you spending money on a car that under warranty? 2. There is 0 reason that fuel cleaner should be used in a brand new car like this. If it didi some how fix it, then there is a bigger issue going on that will probably rear its ugly head.

Civics4Ever

Rally Red EXT
First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 Civic Sedan LX, 17 Civic Coupe Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1. Why are you spending money on a car that under warranty? 2. There is 0 reason that fuel cleaner should be used in a brand new car like this. If it didi some how fix it, then there is a bigger issue going on that will probably rear its ugly head.
I agree. A bad adapter plugged in, if there's a problem, shouldn't it blow a fuse instead of shutting the car down? And it's hard for me to believe a brand new car would new injector cleaner. It always happens after a long drive, I suspect an electrical problem. Something overheating possibly.

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went to 2 dealers and corporate is ignoring me. I put in an injector cleaner. At this point I am fed up

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I am pretty sure the fuel pump is failing and until it fails those aholes will not help me so I'll wait until it happens.

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The response from my case manager when I was complaining and I quote, just deal with the dealer and that is after I told her they kicked me out and refused to help me.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I went to 2 dealers and corporate is ignoring me. I put in an injector cleaner. At this point I am fed up

Before you wrote fuel cleaner, not injector cleaner.
Both exist but it may be exactly the same product?

tacthecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I agree. A bad adapter plugged in, if there's a problem, shouldn't it blow a fuse instead of shutting the car down? And it's hard for me to believe a brand new car would new injector cleaner. It always happens after a long drive, I suspect an electrical problem. Something overheating possibly.
Quite likely it's a "smart adapter" or defective a one that doesn't "play nice" with all the Honda microprocessors. Only the Op can tell us if he's still using it. Unless bad gas was put in the vehicle after purchase it's highly unlikely injector/fuel cleaner did anything. OP's problems are still a PITA but until the culprit/solution is found this is an interesting thread - We may all learn something.

OP
OP
smulla

smulla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I already know it's the fuel pump since after fuel injector cleaner was put in it will not stall also the cleaner does clean other components. So far even in econ mode I only avg 20.3 mpg. I bought a more severe cleaner tomorrow but it does not cost much and still cheaper than buying gas or to deal with a dealer.

There are recalls on the 2019 to 2021 models but none of them are civics and it says the vehicle will stall in those models because of the bad fuel pumps. I told the dealer I had a bad fuel pump and made an appointment next week however I am guessing down the road more 2022s will complain and a recall will eventually be done. I also left the adapter in and it's not stalling the car. It's a 180 v adapter rated for the car.
Sponsored

Last edited: