Stained pillar posts! Need advice

SonicDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6 M/T
Country flag
Hey guys, so long story short my pillar posts are stained from a paintball hit baked on by the California sun( I play a lot of competitive paintball and the paintballs bounce over the net all the time). I took it to the dealer and they tried a couple different compounds on it but nothing worked. Any suggestions? It’s seems like the Black was zapped out the sun/paintbcombo. The dealer quoted me at 275 for the new pillar trim and labor. I’m hoping to avoid having to replace them
Honda Civic 10th gen Stained pillar posts! Need advice ezjzuv
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
That looks to be polishable but i'm not sure what compound or products your dealer used. Did you take the picture after you brought it to the dealer or before?

Also those pillar trims are $11.50 online so $23 for 2. They are basically charging you $250 for labor lol.
Honda Civic 10th gen Stained pillar posts! Need advice QEkPj4

OP
OP

SonicDave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport 6 M/T
Country flag
That looks to be polishable but i'm not sure what compound or products your dealer used. Did you take the picture after you brought it to the dealer or before?

Also those pillar trims are $11.50 online so $23 for 2. They are basically charging you $250 for labor lol.
QEkPj4p.png
Honda Civic 10th gen Stained pillar posts! Need advice 250410k

Honda Civic 10th gen Stained pillar posts! Need advice 2ebwu2c

This is after a couple months after taking it to the dealer

Last edited:

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
I'm really curious what the dealer used to try to remove those spots. Those trims are so soft that even a polish would mar the finish but even though it's not under direct sunlight I don't see any marring on the picture you posted.
Dealer "detailers" are usually pretty garbage so you might want to try asking your local higher end detail people. I really think they can be buffed out or at least make them less noticeable.

and jesus christ 3.4 hours of labor just for the b pillar trims. The bottom molding just has 2 clips. Just be careful not to break the clips and it's pretty easy. The top trim you just remove the door weatherstripping a little bit and you should see one screw bolting it on. Rest is just double sided tape. You can slowly heat it up to loosen the tape. Once those two are removed you should easily have access to the b pillars.

gtman

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Cosmic Blue EX-L Sedan
Vehicle Showcase
I'm glad I don't have the glossy pillar posts. The matte ones are so much easier to maintain.

Divisi0n

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Sonic Grey Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Just wrap them in any vinyl of your choosing. I did mine in 3M carbon fiber so I didn't have to deal with the gloss that scratches so easily.

FearTheH

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Just wrap them in any vinyl of your choosing. I did mine in 3M carbon fiber so I didn't have to deal with the gloss that scratches so easily.
If I would've read this without owning one of these cars, I would've laughed at you for doing such a thing, but I'm also considering an alternate route since these scratch if you even breathe on them. Someone will make decent carbon fiber replacements at some point or I may do it myself... these things are ridiculous though lol

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
If I would've read this without owning one of these cars, I would've laughed at you for doing such a thing, but I'm also considering an alternate route since these scratch if you even breathe on them. Someone will make decent carbon fiber replacements at some point or I may do it myself... these things are ridiculous though lol
I polished out the trims and had PPF put on over it.

FearTheH

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Vehicle Showcase
I polished out the trims and had PPF put on over it.
Did it help conceal the fine scratches already present?(assuming you had them there too) also how's it holding up? I've never personally used a PPF but considered it for this car but was concerned of when I have to replace it

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Did it help conceal the fine scratches already present?(assuming you had them there too) also how's it holding up? I've never personally used a PPF but considered it for this car but was concerned of when I have to replace it
I polished them out with a DA before the PFF was put on. So they were basically free from heavy marring. I only put PPF on the trims and not the whole car. The trims are so delicate and it's so high on the car I didn't want to see it every time I go open my door lol.

Blopalop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Si Sedan
Country flag

QEkPj4p.png
What website is this? I'm trying to find the exact same piece for my car.