Stage 2 combo?

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2017 Accord EX-L, 1984 Toyota Pickup
So I was about to press the buy button on the Stage 2 VitTune Ktuner with the PRL racing front pipe and down pipe. The page says they saw 120+ torque and 80+ HP with that tune and pipe combo. I don't know if I would expect that much... but thought I'd ask opinions on if I might spend that money on something else or if that's the combo I should go with.

I already posted this in the Si section, but thought it may get more responses here.
Sponsored

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You'll prob need the upgraded clutch to hold it. He's already pushed out almost 300hp and over 300ft/lb of torque.

OP
OP

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i have a weird sense of deja vu right now..
Probably, as I stated, I’ve already asked in the Si forum.

I guess I’m just afraid I won’t see the gains they promise because I’m completely new to tuning and import cars in general. I’m a truck/Wrangler guy mostly. Last car I had was a 2004 Mustang GT and looking back at all the money I sank into it, it was still a turd. Never could have gotten this much gain for $1300 bucks. I paid more than that for the Borla exhaust on it and it probably added 2-3 hp. I’m just skeptical I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

CivicXander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Civic hatchback Sport 6MT Rallye Red
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I guess I’m just afraid I won’t see the gains they promise because I’m completely new to tuning and import cars in general. I’m a truck/Wrangler guy mostly. Last car I had was a 2004 Mustang GT and looking back at all the money I sank into it, it was still a turd. Never could have gotten this much gain for $1300 bucks. I paid more than that for the Borla exhaust on it and it probably added 2-3 hp. I’m just skeptical I guess.
I'm surprised an exhaust added anything, but what you're paying for here is a tune to optimize a/f ratio and boost control among other things, and the downpipe is mostly to allow more flow from the turbo since the stock cat is said to be highly restrictive. If anything, this combo is the most bang for your buck in performance. I wouldn't bother with an exhaust after that. Just my 2cents.

OP
OP

ty04orange

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But I could buy just the Ktuner for $650 from them, use the stage 1 and that would be about all my stock clutch would want anyway, yes?

https://vittuned.com/ktuner-flash-civic-si-combo-stage-1.html

Would love the extra hp and to get rid of the rev hang, and see people saying all the time that the +9 tune is about the limit of the stock clutch.

360glitch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Accord Sport 2.0T, 2017 Si Sedan (Sold), 2017 Sport Hatchback (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

AsianGuy98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I believe a new clutch is recommended for Stage 1 because of how much torque it increases. I currently have the 19/23 tune and its made a world of difference compared to stock. I can spin the tires while in 2nd gear. Im waiting to get a new clutch and other goodies until spring, then I will flash it to the Stage 1 Si tune.

Darky

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
I know.. Just being a smart ass
On a more serious note I've ran with the 19/23 for a while and it is a very noticible difference. The rev hang delete is great.
In sure vit's stage 2 combo will give even more of a punch but I think your be hard pressed to get the notes gains. Maybe im wrong but fuel type will have a lot to with achieving those gains im sure.

P.s. of course you will need a clutch to hit those gains

AsianGuy98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I know.. Just being a smart ass
On a more serious note I've ran with the 19/23 for a while and it is a very noticible difference. The rev hang delete is great.
In sure vit's stage 2 combo will give even more of a punch but I think your be hard pressed to get the notes gains. Maybe im wrong but fuel type will have a lot to with achieving those gains im sure.

P.s. of course you will need a clutch to hit those gains
Did you have to go into the tune to disable rev hang on the 19/23 tune? And are you having any hiccups with it disabled with cruise control?

Darky

First Name
Darcy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Yes you have to check the rev hang disable checkbox. Then select your padding level
Cruse control does tend to oscillate a bit when engaging and accelerating

OsosikMedia

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Civic Si 2017 Civic SI x2
Country flag

In any build you can never truly say your car will be exactly like another with "same mods" (it can get you close). Every car/dyno is different especially based on the location, you can take the same car and tuner to a different location and the numbers will change. The only thing that shouldn't change is the Before and After gains (Which is why tuners usually recommend sticking to the same location so that you can document/see the power changes yourself.

I can see why you are hesitant because the last thing you would want is to spend a lot of money and for example "be slower" than another car with less mods. There are a lot of variables to consider so just take your time and learn at least the basics of tuning so that you can understand why it is possible to make this much gain with any tuning device.

My opinion or should I say Fact (I think everyone here can agree with) is an Engine Management is your best bang for buck with the 1.5t Civic.

AsianGuy98

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
In any build you can never truly say your car will be exactly like another with "same mods" (it can get you close). Every car/dyno is different especially based on the location, you can take the same car and tuner to a different location and the numbers will change. The only thing that shouldn't change is the Before and After gains (Which is why tuners usually recommend sticking to the same location so that you can document/see the power changes yourself.

I can see why you are hesitant because the last thing you would want is to spend a lot of money and for example "be slower" than another car with less mods. There are a lot of variables to consider so just take your time and learn at least the basics of tuning so that you can understand why it is possible to make this much gain with any tuning device.

My opinion or should I say Fact (I think everyone here can agree with) is an Engine Management is your best bang for buck with the 1.5t Civic.
I couldnt agree more!

PRL Motorsports

Premium Performance Products
Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
prlmotorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 2016 Civic EX-T, 2018 Type R
Country flag
Hi! :)

We completely understand any skepticism, as it's hard to find honest marketing in 2017 :(. It has become common practice to manipulate facts and data to influte numbers/gains to make products more desireable. However, there is no need to worry about this here. Why do you ask?

@VitViper has a reputation for being one of the most blunt tuners around :rofl:. Vit has no issue calling it like he sees it in any case whether somebody agrees with it or not. With that being said, he has had experience with just about any aftermarket performance mod on the market and has something to say about each one. I'm sure he'd be happy to chime in with any questions, comments or concerns. In our experience, if Vit makes a claim, he's usually one to back it up.

Just in case you missed it, we recently made 280 whp and 330+ ft/lbs tq with our 2017 Civic Si and ran a 13.1 at almost 109 MPH, setting the record (somebody please correct me if we're wrong) for quickest, fastest and highest horsepower 1.5 Turbo Civic in the world on stock turbo. These cars typically make ~180 whp and 215 ft/lbs tq stock on our DynoJet. We gained 100 whp, well over 100 ft/lbs tq at peak and even more throughout the midrange with just our catless downpipe, front pipe, our FMIC, our CAI and @KTuner. Our car made similar gains to Vit's claims with only the dp, fp and KTuner. DynoJets are nice because the numbers cannot be manipulated like other dynos. Aside from a small percent power swing depending on weather corrections, there are no real ways to inflate numbers. What you see is what you get and can be replicated on virtually any other DynoJet in the world.

All-in-all, we recommend a downpipe/front pipe and KTuner as the two most responsive mods for 10th Gen in terms of performance. A combo package isn't a bad idea for those looking to save a few bucks either ;). But yes, depending on how far you decide to push things or if you wish to do some sort of ethanol blend, an upgraded clutch will be in your future.
Sponsored

Last edited: