SS 1LE or Civic Type R: What would you do, dad?

Bop

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2018 CRV, 1995 Acura Integra GSR
Country flag
I have the answer to your question. Traded in a 2013 GS Corvette convertible auto for my 2018 Civic R and have no regrets. I live in the NC mountains and this car handles better than the Corvette on the windy twisty roads and seams quicker than the Corvette. 4500 miles for the first year so some what a garage queen.Low quarter mile times are great but I do not have anywhere I can safely drive 110 to 120 MPH.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Florence_NC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
Your SS 1LE is by far the better of the choice you are suggesting.
Nothing beats a nice N/A engine (which you have). Steer clear of the inclination to Switch to a smaller CI motor that is turbo. I understand you just need more “space”. Perhaps a V6 step down to a Camry XSE? What I am eluding to is; if you want to keep the performance aspect you have in your SS then stick with it or choose something more similar.
2006 called and wants its technical expertise back.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
I have followed an SS 1LE driven by a former amateur champion racer in my GT4 and set a personal best doing so, so I respect the car a lot. (for those who don't know the 1LE means a track handling and braking package).

However, if you're not driving it, it's no good. I drive my CTR almost every day to work and it's fun and comfortable and practical. The only negative is the ride height, but that's only an issue because California roads can be positively 3rd world. The ride is great for driver and passenger, and on mountain roads it's incredibly fun. Get the CTR and have fun while you take the family around. Also, it's the perfect size for 4 people feeling like they have room, but the car itself is still small enough to feel sporty, if that makes sense.

I don't get any negative attention, but mine's white.

I have 22k miles on my CTR and I've taken it on long road trips. Best comfort on a road trip in any car I've driven, it fits tons of stuff, and it's the most fun car I've owned besides the GT4. I'm on 18s with 255/40-18 tires.
You need to pay more taxes in California so they can fix the roads : )

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can’t help but feel like OP will be disappointed with the Civic, for the sole reason it’s not a rocket ship from 0 mph. I don’t even bother trying to race anyone from a stand still. I remember I was at the lights with a Golf R beside me. It looked stock. Couldn’t tell if it was a 6MT or DSG.

Well, the light turned green and he was GONE. Turns out it was the DSG version after all, judging by how it was shifting. Maybe even tuned. There’s no way I could even come close to keeping up, that’s for sure. It put power down in ways the CTR could only ever dream.

People are constantly surprised how “slow” the CTR is from a dig. There’s even a new thread in the general CTR forum section, about how an A7 is faster. And they’re right. 0-60 in 5.0 seconds is rather slow, by today’s standards.

BUT... so long as that isn’t an issue, the car is absolutely wonderful in all other aspects.
Yeah know......it's not always about drag racing
I had a 96 993 Porsche Turbo with 600hp/ 595 ft lbs I really didn't want to rev the heck out of it and dump the clutch, so most cars would out accelerate my car for the first 40 ft ( all that weight transfer with the engine past the rear axle) but after that, see yeah! all the way to 200mph if so desired For a whole host of other reasons I love my CTR!!

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
You need to pay more taxes in California so they can fix the roads : )
We recently passed a gas tax and I am so glad we did. Roads are already getting *slightly* better. It will be a while before we catch up with deferred maintenance though.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
We recently passed a gas tax and I am so glad we did. Roads are already getting *slightly* better. It will be a while before we catch up with deferred maintenance though.
You're glad? Don't you guys already get taxed to hell and back?

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You're glad? Don't you guys already get taxed to hell and back?
Well, we do.

Although, specifically for roads, we should pay for them, so a gas tax is fine with me. I mean I could complain about not enough coming from the general fund, but I'd rather get the roads maintained than argue about which pot the money comes from.

The problem with taxes in general in California is that the cost of living is high, so state workers have to be paid more here. That's fair, and the services they provide (cops, firefighters, teachers) are important, so I'm not sure how to complain there. We probably should hire a lot more teachers.

There's probably a lot of efficiencies that could be found to save some money, however, on balance it would still probably be better for the state economy to still spend more on transit, roads, infrastructure, and services because those services enable business and train our workers.

What I hate is sales tax. If you spend more, you get taxed more. Spending is good for the economy and less wealthy people spend a larger percentage of their earnings, so a sales tax is regressive.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I pretty sure they have passed a gas tax many times before. It's good the CTR gets close to 30 mph if you drive it nice

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I pretty sure they have passed a gas tax many times before. It's good the CTR gets close to 30 mph if you drive it nice
Yeah, but the previous gas taxes weren't set to automatically increase with inflation, so you keep having to pass them again. Super inefficient way to do it. 20 cents in 1990 isn't going to go as far in 2019. I manage 28 mpg on average on my commute (computed at the pump, the trip computer is off).

Nice choice in cars, btw. 951s and 911 SCs are awesome. I used to have a 1979 930.

Last edited:

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Yeah, but the previous gas taxes weren't set to automatically increase with inflation, so you keep having to pass them again. Super inefficient way to do it. 20 cents in 1990 isn't going to go as far in 2019. I manage 28 mpg on average on my commute (computed at the pump, the trip computer is off).

Nice choice in cars, btw. 951s and 911 SCs are awesome. I used to have a 1979 930.
$519 credit price in LA Wow forget the CRT and get a BMW i3 Yes love my 78 911 SC also had a 88 944 silverrose track car and recently just sold my 89 944 Turbo S track car with 2.85 stroker
But my 911 993 Turbo was a beast! But a car doesn't have to have a ton of HP to be fun and exciting to drive. Just had my CTR out today on a twisty nice road today going to the gas in my state, oh it was $240 for 93 octaine. The drive was awesome and cant wait to get the CTR on a track! I can't remember that last time I owned a front wheel car, but all I know it wasn't this much fun.

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
I don't want to downplay the Type R as it is definitely better as a daily than say an STI or the Camaro by far but the Golf R is the best all around vehicle on the planet. It's not a track beast but you can take it to a track and not embarrass yourself and on the way home you can leisurely drive it to the grocery store and it will behave just like a regular golf. It's a flawless daily driver that is also one of the few cars left that provides the buyer of a manual or DCT option. You can go out in the worst snowstorm (as always providing you have the right tires) and never have a concern. The interior is closer to Audi than it is to Honda or Subaru. You can also take it to a business meeting and not have to worry about comments about your juvenile looking Type R or STI. If there could only be one car for everyone on the planet that could do enough of everything so everyone wasn't miserable it would be the Golf R.
You were close but...
Audi RS3 Hatch is better.

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
You were close but...
Audi RS3 Hatch is better.
At $56k plus it better be!! But one did fly by me on the track. He only got one track day in as he blistered his tires

NapalmEnema

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 M2, 2022 Audi RS3, ex2019, now 2021Type R!
Country flag
California - the sate permanently stuck on stupid

Gforce81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
Hello everyone

I am currently at a crossroad. I own a 2017 SS 1LE. This baby doesnt get tracked or abused....actually, it doesnt even get used that much. Over the past 3 years, I have driven it a grand total of 8,000 miles. It didnt start this way though. The Camaro was never supposed to be a "garage queen". It seems that as my daughters keep growing, I keep gravitating towards my wife's Silverado for anything that has to do with getting out of the house. While this is not a bad combo (race car for Sundays, truck for everything else), it feels like a total waste. Also, cars are meant to be driven, and when not, are depreciating and asking for maintenance.

I still love driving that car. That 6.2L, that sound, that chassis and brakes. The shifter is precise and perfect. But then again, my oldest daughter doesnt fit unless she crosses her legs (at all times) and the baby doesnt like riding in it (my guess is she doesnt appreciate the dungeon-like accomodations). So it has become that dad only car, the car that I drive when Im by myself, on a sunny day, with nice weather. Its pretty much a motorcycle....but I also have a motorcycle for that.

The Civic Type R is the only car that Ive considered to replace my beloved Camaro. The looks are awesome (specially in Rallye Red!!!), Ive found one in my hometown for a fair price. I would also pay less that I am paying now each month. The Camaro has been great and extremely reliable, and it pains me to give up a manual, RWD, N/A V8 monster. That is why a Type R is the only car I am considering, its fast, looks agressive, It comes in a manual,can accomodate more people and trunk space is huge.

To the point then: Has anyone here been in this similar situation? I have read a lot of posts but most people Ive read are trading in a Civic Si or a similar car. Anyone out there traded a Camaro or Mustang, or ATS-V or something similar? If so, What has been your experience? Any regrets? Would you do it again? Maybe someone currently owns both?

Any input is welcome, even if you completely disagree with me, let me have it.
As someone who had a 2SS 17 and also owns a Silverado 2017 LTZ and a 2018 Type R, I can say without a doubt if you love that Chevy motor and the handling and everything besides interior room, you’ll miss it. Now, while you’ll miss it the Type R benefits from all that you listed - it’s definitely more rational. It’s a very solid compromise.

That said, I’m waiting for the mid engines stingray. I drive my Silverado mainly so I’m ok with just one passenger for twice the thrill.
Sponsored