SS 1LE or Civic Type R: What would you do, dad?

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
You are recommending a Camry XSE as a fun dad car over the Type R? Have you driven a Type R or own one? Camry is much heavier, less usable space in the trunk / hatch, worse torque/power curve, pretty meh 0-60 performance asGet
Yes.
Type-R is well short of exceptional for an “all around” vehicle. Look at how many went up for sale used before 10K mi. Besides, it was the first option and I had left it open for “user” choice.
Sponsored

MonkeyConQueso

First Name
Armand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR
Country flag
Look at how many went up for sale used before 10K mi.
This is a fallacy for every "hot" vehicle that gets lots of press. The CTR is definitely not for everyone, but go look at other used vehicle sales that are under 10k that are hyped in the press. People buy into it, then realize that it doesn't necessarily fit their specific use case (or their budget, usually).

As an aside, for OPs request, a Camry XSE doesn't seem like something that would resonate since "looks fast" and "aggressive" are key words there. That's my take though.

For OP, I would recommend the CTR as a great daily/kid hauler & weekend fun car. There are other cars out there that can do this as well without being a compromise, but expect to pay more. It is a great all-around vehicle for the price point and performance focus.

heavyD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F87
Country flag
High chance the OP will regret it and the Type R will be for sale in a year or less. I don't want to start a FWD vs RWD debate as I owned a Focus ST and it was a fun little car and fully understand how great the CTR is around a track but going from a high HP RWD car to a FWD car is tough as you have to change your driving style and expectations. As much as you will love the Type R initially the lust for RWD will resurface the moment you try to accelerate fast from a green light.

OP
OP

Jay Bee

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Thanks to everyone that replied.

Often times people bring up RWD and the ability to hoon the car... I’ve owned a supercharged Miata and a modded 370z Nismo, and I was terrified to let the back end slip out. The most I’d do is a mild twitch of the rear, but anything beyond that, unless you’ve practiced quite a bit, may end up being a very expensive repair bill.
Yep, truth. I love the idea of a RWD car, but havent really used its capabilities because of this exact same reason.

Yes.
Type-R is well short of exceptional for an “all around” vehicle.
Please, do tell. What in your opinion makes the car less than exceptional? What car would potentially replace your CTR?

High chance the OP will regret it and the Type R will be for sale in a year or less.
God I hope not. But you are right in sayin that they are very different. This decision is specially difficult for me because I already own the Camaro. So as soon as I trade for the CTR, inevitably, I will compare them. I would hate to look back for years thinking I shouldnt have traded. My hope is that this will be offset by the fact that the CTR will be easier to "get up and go" anywhere, at anytime, with kids or without them.

OP
OP

Jay Bee

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
Sounds like you need another NA V8 RWD car with more space.

Honda Civic 10th gen SS 1LE or Civic Type R: What would you do, dad? {filename}

Honda Civic 10th gen SS 1LE or Civic Type R: What would you do, dad? {filename}
If they still made them new, affordable and with a manual transmission, this would be my jam!

Patrick Bateman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 FK8, ‘19 XC60 R-Design, ‘17 ZL1, ‘02 SS
Country flag
I traded a 1LE for a ZL1 (wife’s daily). The SS is in another league compared to the Civic, but has 0 utilitarian value.

Sounds like you need to take a driver’s coarse. I can’t imagine not going all out in the Camaro. Car is a blast.

krees

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R & 2020 Ridgeline BE
Country flag
I'd echo what others have said about you might regret the purchase after the excitement wears off. Also, the r gets quite a bit of negative attention for what it's worth. I don't care what others think but the comments do get old.

That being said, if you want a fun dad car that can easily cart the kids around, make Lowe's trips on the weekend (my r loves Lowe's), gets decent/good economy, and doubles as a weekend racecar, it's a hard platform to beat. Though, if you are a serious racer then you might run into heat issues. I surmise that's not the case though.

In short, if you can get over the lack of snarling grunt of the Camaro, I think the r is a fantastic choice! Just make sure to get the right color (pmm)! :thumbsup:

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
Hello everyone

I am currently at a crossroad. I own a 2017 SS 1LE. This baby doesnt get tracked or abused....actually, it doesnt even get used that much. Over the past 3 years, I have driven it a grand total of 8,000 miles. It didnt start this way though. The Camaro was never supposed to be a "garage queen". It seems that as my daughters keep growing, I keep gravitating towards my wife's Silverado for anything that has to do with getting out of the house. While this is not a bad combo (race car for Sundays, truck for everything else), it feels like a total waste. Also, cars are meant to be driven, and when not, are depreciating and asking for maintenance.

I still love driving that car. That 6.2L, that sound, that chassis and brakes. The shifter is precise and perfect. But then again, my oldest daughter doesnt fit unless she crosses her legs (at all times) and the baby doesnt like riding in it (my guess is she doesnt appreciate the dungeon-like accomodations). So it has become that dad only car, the car that I drive when Im by myself, on a sunny day, with nice weather. Its pretty much a motorcycle....but I also have a motorcycle for that.

The Civic Type R is the only car that Ive considered to replace my beloved Camaro. The looks are awesome (specially in Rallye Red!!!), Ive found one in my hometown for a fair price. I would also pay less that I am paying now each month. The Camaro has been great and extremely reliable, and it pains me to give up a manual, RWD, N/A V8 monster. That is why a Type R is the only car I am considering, its fast, looks agressive, It comes in a manual,can accomodate more people and trunk space is huge.

To the point then: Has anyone here been in this similar situation? I have read a lot of posts but most people Ive read are trading in a Civic Si or a similar car. Anyone out there traded a Camaro or Mustang, or ATS-V or something similar? If so, What has been your experience? Any regrets? Would you do it again? Maybe someone currently owns both?

Any input is welcome, even if you completely disagree with me, let me have it.

I have followed an SS 1LE driven by a former amateur champion racer in my GT4 and set a personal best doing so, so I respect the car a lot. (for those who don't know the 1LE means a track handling and braking package).

However, if you're not driving it, it's no good. I drive my CTR almost every day to work and it's fun and comfortable and practical. The only negative is the ride height, but that's only an issue because California roads can be positively 3rd world. The ride is great for driver and passenger, and on mountain roads it's incredibly fun. Get the CTR and have fun while you take the family around. Also, it's the perfect size for 4 people feeling like they have room, but the car itself is still small enough to feel sporty, if that makes sense.

I don't get any negative attention, but mine's white.

I have 22k miles on my CTR and I've taken it on long road trips. Best comfort on a road trip in any car I've driven, it fits tons of stuff, and it's the most fun car I've owned besides the GT4. I'm on 18s with 255/40-18 tires.

Last edited:

BrokeCTROwner

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 1999 K20 Integra
Country flag
Have you thought of a chevy ss by chance? Speaking of the type r though its an amazing car, has good power for the street, gets great gas mileage, and is a very comfortable daily driver.

Dragnet

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2016 Accord Sport
Country flag
I traded a 1LE for a ZL1 (wife’s daily). The SS is in another league compared to the Civic, but has 0 utilitarian value.

Sounds like you need to take a driver’s coarse. I can’t imagine not going all out in the Camaro. Car is a blast.
Excellent trade! The ZL1, namely the 1LE variant is kinda like a dream car to me.

OP
OP

Jay Bee

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Country flag
I'd echo what others have said about you might regret the purchase after the excitement wears off. Also, the r gets quite a bit of negative attention for what it's worth. I don't care what others think but the comments do get old.
I appreciate the honesty. Im also on the philosophy of "dont care too much what others think" but to a certain extent, the negative attention may be hard to ignore. This is one of the things that has given me pause, I do get attention in the Camaro, and while not as polarizing as the CTR, some people like it and some dont. Some people acknowledge it only to say "If it was me, Id choose the Mustang". At least the 1LE looks more racy and agressive.

At some point I'll have to make a decision, whether right now or wait till my head is a bit clearer.

Have you thought of a chevy ss by chance? Speaking of the type r though its an amazing car, has good power for the street, gets great gas mileage, and is a very comfortable daily driver.
Oh yes, I wish Chevy still made the SS. It was on my list when purchased the Camaro, but at the time it was more expensive. It was only after a few months of ownership with the 'Maro that the Chevy SS was discounted and discontinued. Now, its very difficult finding a manual and with low mileage. Right now there is only one with 30K miles on it, its a 2015 model and they are selling for $37K. Sounds like a lot of moola for a 5 y/o car with 30k miles. Oh and it has been modded.

Alj888

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic touring
Country flag
Honest opinion seeing as I’ve driven both the Camaro 2ss 1le (magnetic ride) and the Civic type r. The Camaro is a beast, an utter most potent just beast which has been attempted to be civilized. It’s interior is cramped, the back seats are useless, the trunk is useless, the gas mileage is terrible, the car is not practical what so ever. With that being said, I can’t help but remember the smile I had on my face while I was driving the Camaro. The sound from the 6.2L N/A engine is beautiful and something that is dying out in the world of cars as everything goes turbo for its better efficiency and power figures. The driving experience is amazing as well, the car feels direct, like it’s on rails. Like it was made for one purpose and one purpose only, to go fast around a track but also in a straight line if needed. Yet, the suspension does lighten up when needed because of the magnetic ride and becomes a use able car. However, I am also talking a little (okay maybe a lot) in reference towards the absolutely beast of a car, that is the Zl1 1le camaro which isn’t really comparable. Now, the CTR, it’s practical, gets fantastic gas mileage, has plenty of room for the family, is a joy to drive, has the superior transmission, can actually be pushed on a public road in a some what safe manner, is front wheel drive, I mean the list keeps going. The CTR, IMO is the ultimate car for someone looking for a special car, with a unique heritage that only so many people own. You have to respect it, and know it’s history to truly know what the car is about and to understand the cars true purpose. However, the CTR really is a great car for someone looking for a car to daily drive during the week then turn around and track the car on the weekends. That goes for someone just looking for a car that is different and awesome to drive. It really fits almost anyone. Here’s what I’m trying to get at, they are completely different, incomparable cars. The CTR is special, and that carries over into driving the car. However, smiles per mile, it loses to camaro due to the front wheel drive lay out which doesn’t make the car quite as fun as the camaro. However, overall, for a daily, there is no doubt the CTR is the much much better car. However, the camaro, imo, is the more fun act to drive if you do not care about the heritage. For me, the civic type r is a car I had been waiting for for years. It’s a dream come true for me, and that one thing is enough to make the decision for me! Good luck making your choice man. Any questions you have send em my way and I can try to answer them as far as how the two cars drive. Best wishes!

Zeffy94

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mazda3 GT Hatch 6AT, 2018 Honda Civic Type R (traded in)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The only thing I don't like about the CTR is that when you're in slower moving traffic you're gonna be at the mercy of turbo lag. This engine feels pretty gutless outside of boost. If you keep it in boost though, it's very easy to find yourself in some extra-legal speeds. In slower traffic, you pretty much have to deal with the lag or you need to peg the engine above 3k.

Other than that, the CTR is a beast of a daily driver. Just don't expect to win traffic light races. FWD doesn't do well in that regard. On twisty roads though? Yeah, you'll enjoy it a lot. As much as a ZL1? That's hard since I haven't experienced what one is like.

TypeWavey

Free The Wave
First Name
Spike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2016 Aprilia RSV4
Country flag
This what I came to post. 4 doors, V8, RWD, and can be had in manual. But like OP said the price for a used one is about the same for a CTR @ MSRP. The Type R is hard to beat for a fun daily, but coming from a Camaro I’d do a couple of nation wide searches for an SS first to see what you can find.
Sponsored