SS 1LE or Civic Type R: What would you do, dad?

Gforce81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR
Country flag
You don't have to go fast to have fun in the Type R. The shifting experience in the Type R absolutely blows away the Camaro.

To the OP: Type R is the perfect combination of a very livable, practical daily that is extremely fun to drive. It's the very definition of a dad car.
Disagree. The 6MT felt amazing in the Camari. Better than the R IMO
Sponsored

Learn2turn

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Toyota Longbed PU, '95 (Drift Toy) Miata, '05 Tuned Gran Prix White S2000, '19 Championship White C-Type R
Country flag
The Camaros were always "fun" to drive but they lack connectivity to the outside world. When you see less you feel less.
You will easily get more enjoyment from the CTR. Controlling a beast is work while riding the edge in FWD is damn near fearless and this car is FEROCIOUS in tuned form! IMO you won't miss the 70yr old sounds when you are receiving the turbos feedback down a twisty road that you could only squirt and point on, in the Camaro!

Chevy did not need the bailout...
Imagine how Chevy could slaughter the world by releasing the Turbo Sonic hatch in RWD.
(then give the 6.2 as an option :) ) All of our service team would drive that car to get Wendy's triple baconators while tormenting other fast cars on rush hour.

Stupid fuckin chevy!

I told all the execs I met the same thing while I was winning service manager awards working for them.

One more thing...
Corvette (and possibly Camaro) should always have been it's own brand. Nothing was more gross than seeing those HIPO cars in the showroom next to throwaway American garbage. :(

They fucked themselves

Last edited:

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
California - the sate permanently stuck on stupid
There's always two sides to a story. Tax and spend on services can help enable business, not just waste money. Spending on a world class public university system and other services might help explain this:
Honda Civic 10th gen SS 1LE or Civic Type R: What would you do, dad? Screen Shot 2019-11-26 at 9.49.17 PM

19typeRblk

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1989 Porsche 944 turbo S, 1978 Porsche 911SC, 2014 Toyota Tundra
Country flag
Love the sink analogy! A yellow jacket protester said it best when the French government tried to apply another gas tax for the new the carbon tax law.
" We are concerned about the environment, but more concerned about the end of the month!

So sometimes you have to make a decision on what you want, and what you really need. Life is full of priorities and compromises. I really really wanted a Ford Shellby GT 350 with that amazing flat plane crank V8 and Tremick 6 speed. But after considering the price, small back seats and smallish trunk I had to reconsider. So what car wouldn't really not break the bank, have reasonable gas consumption, 6 speed, can pick up the kids, go to Lowes for garden mulch and then take to the track and give most cars a really hard time???????? BINGO!!! The Honda Civic Type R

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag

CivilciviC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Awwwwe...did you get your whittle feelings hurt . Loser...
I mean, you can call him names but that really doesn't help your argument. I don't think he was hurt at all; you are using archaic turbo logic to support your baseless comment. Calling a spade a spade and nothing more. It's the internet. Don't get worked up over nothing.

jtrader

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK7 6MT, 2018 FK7 CVT, 2022 Odyssey EXL
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the replies. Seems pretty unanimous towards the CTR.
Please ask this same question on a Camaro board. :) Also, I obviously don't know your situation, but this potential swap can't possibly make much sense financially.

Hollywoo0220

Customer Service oriented (most of the time) :-)
First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dihatsu Charade, BMW, Various Hondas, Focus ST, and VW GTI
Country flag
I mean, you can call him names but that really doesn't help your argument. I don't think he was hurt at all; you are using archaic turbo logic to support your baseless comment. Calling a spade a spade and nothing more. It's the internet. Don't get worked up over nothing.
Look who’s spewing at the mouth. It’s the internet, don’t get your shorts in a bind.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
To get this thread back on track... OP, where are you at with your decision?

87elco

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 el camino ls swap, 18 civic 6speed, 86 Porsche 911 (euro spec)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I would see about a explorer sport..or SRT jeep

avalanche011

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model Y, Porsche GT3
Country flag
You don't have to go fast to have fun in the Type R. The shifting experience in the Type R absolutely blows away the Camaro.

To the OP: Type R is the perfect combination of a very livable, practical daily that is extremely fun to drive. It's the very definition of a dad car.
I agree with this comment. Hopefully this is not too long winded.

So I am/was in the same situation as the OP. I currently own a 2018 Camaro SS 1LE and I just picked up my 2019 CTR today. The 1LE is an extremely capable car. On track or autox, it's going to be the faster car hands down. However, I feel the same way about the shifting and the fun factor on the street. Being in the bay area, I feel like there really isn't much opportunity to stretch the 1LE's legs. I end up just skip shifting my way around the bay to only have fun at the autoxes. I was also considering both cars last year when I bought the Camaro. The markup in the Bay Area for a CTR was just too insane to even begin to consider. I'd figure the Camaro still got back seats in case my wife and the little wants jump in with me in the Camaro. That only happened a handful of times because it confined it felt. The intent at that time was to get a 2nd fun car that I can share miles with my GT3 that had more than 2 seats (same story here, it doesn't get to stretch its legs in the bay either, plus it is terrible in traffic. However, it is like nothing else when it's in the elements). So ultimately it really didn't fit the shoe and ended up sorta like having another GT3. I can also appreciate the idea of not needing a ton of speed of have fun. Rowing through the gears in normal sequence was quite refreshing today as well. lol Plus now I have a car to pick up wheels and tires and provide utility of a 5 door. BTW the dampers ride excellent on the CTR. The changes between the dampening settings are just as pronounced as the ones on the 1LE. Does any know if the CTR is mag ride as well?
Sponsored