Squirrels ate wires (again) tape did not work?

Envymia

First Name
Claudio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 lx
Country flag
So, after having a very annoying issue at a gas station where the gas door wouldnt open, I took it into the dealership and they fixed the actuator last Wednesday (under warranty)

I have been moving my car around a lot because I had to get product ready for a service this Saturday, and I started up the car and christmas lights came on.

On startup it cycles Brake sys, brake hold, power steer, VSA and hill start problems. I cant exactly remember what codes came up last time but I’m thinking its the same issue I had in DEC 2019 (I have a 2017 civic lx)
Back then, they said some sort of rodent made a nest, and chewed wires. They recommended to use the Honda rodent resistant tape, and it would not be an issue again.

Well, I found it very odd because I read up on these issues last time and I have seen Honda refuses to take ownership that their soy based wires might attract rodents. I saw two lawsuits in US were dropped due to lack of evidence, so I’m wondering if the timing of all this is a coincidence or not.

TLDR - I had rodents who chewed wires under the hood once, second time now after a year and days after taking it in for a warranty service, and car was moving constantly besides one night. They applied rodent tape. Im getting the car in the shop again and will request pictures to verify the tape was applied.

Besides what they tell you (that the tape works) , is there anything else I can do if it IS indeed an issue from where I park? Last time I think it cost me $360 which isn’t bad but thats a car payment right there and all my friends with Fords and Chevys are laughing about it. It seems to be a Toyota and Honda problem as well speaking with my neighbours.
Sponsored

Mcclaughry95

500hp is the goal.
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si
Country flag
Almost need a garage with these cars. I keep mine in the garage with traps and poison. Moth balls can help but I can't stand the smell near me.

OP
OP
Envymia

Envymia

First Name
Claudio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 lx
Country flag
Almost need a garage with these cars. I keep mine in the garage with traps and poison. Moth balls can help but I can't stand the smell near me.
So, I got a quote for $350 but once I requested photos I realized what I paid for last time. Patch work. They did not include tape along anywhere the rest of the cable. I am seriously thinking it’s time I get Honda corporate involved. I just have to make sure I get my tires out of there first before they sabotage them too.

Honda Civic 10th gen Squirrels ate wires (again) tape did not work? 3CC4718E-413A-4315-823F-9B262D199C76

OP
OP
Envymia

Envymia

First Name
Claudio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 lx
Country flag
They sprayed cu 800 copper spray and contradicted their own argument that the tape would be a long term solution, again no mention of when I could reapply it or when to come back to do so.

Honda Civic 10th gen Squirrels ate wires (again) tape did not work? FCC3AFD2-5F74-41A6-8E0E-248768F7EBD3

integra15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
If you are out of warranry and they wont cover that, it is someihting that can easily be fixed yourself. $5 in solder, some heat shring tubing and some spare copper wire.

OP
OP
Envymia

Envymia

First Name
Claudio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic 2017 lx
Country flag
If you are out of warranry and they wont cover that, it is someihting that can easily be fixed yourself. $5 in solder, some heat shring tubing and some spare copper wire.
Rodent damage is not covered under any warranty according to them. I have the 7 year, 160K warranty.

CopperPeacock

First Name
Brianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 MSM FC3
Country flag
They sprayed cu 800 copper spray and contradicted their own argument that the tape would be a long term solution, again no mention of when I could reapply it or when to come back to do so.

FCC3AFD2-5F74-41A6-8E0E-248768F7EBD3.jpeg
If I got my car back from a dealer and the engine bay was covered in copper spray I would absolutely lose my shit.

This really doesn't seem like a SOLUTION.

ivanCivix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic 10th gen 1.5 sport
Country flag
I had the same issue but with less damage.
I used tunap 398 and it seems to do its job

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So, after having a very annoying issue at a gas station where the gas door wouldnt open, I took it into the dealership and they fixed the actuator last Wednesday (under warranty)

I have been moving my car around a lot because I had to get product ready for a service this Saturday, and I started up the car and christmas lights came on.

On startup it cycles Brake sys, brake hold, power steer, VSA and hill start problems. I cant exactly remember what codes came up last time but I’m thinking its the same issue I had in DEC 2019 (I have a 2017 civic lx)
Back then, they said some sort of rodent made a nest, and chewed wires. They recommended to use the Honda rodent resistant tape, and it would not be an issue again.

Well, I found it very odd because I read up on these issues last time and I have seen Honda refuses to take ownership that their soy based wires might attract rodents. I saw two lawsuits in US were dropped due to lack of evidence, so I’m wondering if the timing of all this is a coincidence or not.

TLDR - I had rodents who chewed wires under the hood once, second time now after a year and days after taking it in for a warranty service, and car was moving constantly besides one night. They applied rodent tape. Im getting the car in the shop again and will request pictures to verify the tape was applied.

Besides what they tell you (that the tape works) , is there anything else I can do if it IS indeed an issue from where I park? Last time I think it cost me $360 which isn’t bad but thats a car payment right there and all my friends with Fords and Chevys are laughing about it. It seems to be a Toyota and Honda problem as well speaking with my neighbours.
I just had to have my car towed to the dealer because upon starting this morning, it ran really rough and threw every warning light on the Dash in succession. Turned it off, called Honda and they said to have it towed in to the shop and this is what they found. They say they have to replace the entire Wiring Harness to the tune of about $2,200. The f-ing rodents not only ate the sheathing around the wires and the insulation on the wires, they tried to eat one of the connectors! I don't know what my options are at this point. I have been parking in the same spot for 3+ years and suddenly this happens over night. WTF?

Honda Civic 10th gen Squirrels ate wires (again) tape did not work? Engine_Wire_Harnes_Lunch-1

Honda Civic 10th gen Squirrels ate wires (again) tape did not work? Engine_Wire_Harness_Lunch-5

Honda Civic 10th gen Squirrels ate wires (again) tape did not work? Engine_Wire_Harness_Lunch-6

Last edited:

latole

Civic Lx 2018 Manual , Civic LX 2016 Manual
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Any good electronic tech can repair those wires for a very low cost.
If is happened on our two Civic, I will.
Problem is nobody know an electronic tech.........

Phy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Civic HB ST, '18 Civic HB EX, '04 Ford Ranger
Country flag
There's no reason to replace the entire harness for one connector. Dealerships have less "mechanics" and more "parts replacers" than anything.

latole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
There's no reason to replace the entire harness for one connector. Dealerships have less "mechanics" and more "parts replacers" than anything.

100 % right ," parts replacers"

Fred_Farkle

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
It was two connectors, but as the bill shows, there is a VERY good reason to replace the whole harness: $1,550 in Labor!

My Comprehensive Insurance will take care of all but $500 of it, but that still sucks!

Honda Civic 10th gen Squirrels ate wires (again) tape did not work? Wiring_Harness.JPG
Sponsored