himynameisaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl White Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Hey guys. 2018 Si, stock everything. For about the past two weeks I've been getting a rubbing and subsequent squealing noise from the front left wheel, but only when I turn left. I took it to the dealership and they heard the noise themselves but are unable to find the issue. Any ideas?
Sponsored

SkyeSI

First Name
Skye
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SI Coupe. 2018 JL Rubicon. 1988 K5 Blazer
Country flag
My SI gets a pebble in between the rotor and dust shield often. It causes a condition similar to what you are describing. I park it, turn the wheel fully to gain access to the shield, then work it and bang on it to get the rock to drop out. Sometimes they will work themselves out soon after hearing the noise too. If you want to confirm this, you could take the wheel off and inspect for pebbles there.

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Hey guys. 2018 Si, stock everything. For about the past two weeks I've been getting a rubbing and subsequent squealing noise from the front left wheel, but only when I turn left. I took it to the dealership and they heard the noise themselves but are unable to find the issue. Any ideas?
Crazy loud metallic squealing sound? Rock/debris on brakes. Happens all the time with our cars and there are numerous threads about it.

OP
OP
himynameisaaron

himynameisaaron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Pearl White Honda Civic SI Coupe
Country flag
Crazy loud metallic squealing sound? Rock/debris on brakes. Happens all the time with our cars and there are numerous threads about it.

Dealership said they pulled the wheel off and checked the rotor and brake assembly.

I read those threads, I guess I will have to pull the wheel myself and check it out. It's odd, it went away for like 3 days but I still heard the rubbing sound. The squealing sound has returned though. I hope it doesn't cause any kind of permanent damage.

Last edited:
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Modern Steel SI sedan
Country flag
I'm in the exact same boat. Drove it with the tech last time I can reproduce the sound 100% of the time but they seem to struggle for some reason .it's really pissing me off .

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Guess who's having the same issue now? Any updates?

Justin

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
It’s a clip in the brake pads! They need to adjust it. Try reinstallaing your pads of the squealing wheel and see the results

Jayceegee

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 civic si
Country flag
Damn cat !! Can you please send him back home ? He like to travel Delta airlines.

radtech

First Name
ROBERTSON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic si sedan, 2017 Honda civic ext sedan
Country flag
I had the same problem, i took it to the dealer and it was the caliper shims rubbing on the rotor

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I had the same problem, i took it to the dealer and it was the caliper shims rubbing on the rotor
Funny thing is, I had this problem when I drove my car off the lot. Got it fixed the next day and here we are a year later and you guys are saying this is the problem coming back? lol what the hell are they doing at Honda these days...

Can someone explain how this only happens during turns? and turns in one direction?

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si, 1988 Ford f250, 2004 Honda vtx1300
Country flag
Add another squealer to the mix... Wasn't happening when I took it in to the dealer. It sounds just like brake pad sensors (that squeak when your pads get low) or a rock caught in there. Nice to hear, but also not nice to hear others are also having the issue. That, to me, means it's probably not a rock.

Russgolfs

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1941 Chevrolet, 2017 Camaro ZL1
Country flag
Add another squealer to the mix... Wasn't happening when I took it in to the dealer. It sounds just like brake pad sensors (that squeak when your pads get low) or a rock caught in there. Nice to hear, but also not nice to hear others are also having the issue. That, to me, means it's probably not a rock.
I have the same issue, technician heard it for a split second on the test drive but said it was not enough to troubleshoot. Some days I don't hear it, other days I hear it a lot. Is the rotor scratched by whatever is touching it? Can we bend it so it doesn't touch the rotor? What is the fix if there is one.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I heard it today on a dry, not very humid day, only ever when turning left. I haven't seen any rotor scratches but I haven't taken the wheel off to look. There is obviously a clearance that is just a bit too tight, but not sure where. I can't imagine it's something, if found, can't be bent into proper spot.

Russgolfs

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 1941 Chevrolet, 2017 Camaro ZL1
Country flag
I heard it today on a dry, not very humid day, only ever when turning left. I haven't seen any rotor scratches but I haven't taken the wheel off to look. There is obviously a clearance that is just a bit too tight, but not sure where. I can't imagine it's something, if found, can't be bent into proper spot.
Next oil change I guess I'll take the wheel off and check things out.

aighead

Threads
Reaction score
Website
snortcoffee.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Next oil change I guess I'll take the wheel off and check things out.
Sucks that's it's happening on the CTR as well... That to me point to some other weird clearance we maybe aren't thinking of... The brakes on yours are different than on mine, but I don't know if Si brakes are the same as the other trims?
Sponsored