et4891

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2019
Country flag
Anyone has pebble stuck to the break pad which makes crazy squeaking noise with their CTR 2019?
Happened to me two times within the pass half year and today I am hearing the crazy noise again which I believe is another pebble. I rarely drive to roads with LOTS pebbles but sometimes just regular roads have them too :(

Anyone know how this can be solved? Feels like taking the car to dealership almost every or every other month because of this issue is quite annoying and money spending :(

Also, would it damage the break or something if I still drive it before taking it to the service?
Sponsored

Last edited:

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
It's the rock stuck between the rotor and the brake shield. Just remove the wheels, look, and if it's there, use something that fits in the gap and remove it. Or if you're lazy, keep driving and hope it falls off. I changed my oil this past weekend, and rocks were literally everywhere in the undertrays area of the car. That's what happen when you have sticky performance tires. Swap it out and you'll have less issue.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR - CW, 1996 Honda Accord EX coupe
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
This was happening to my car every few weeks and it was driving me nuts. In addition to rocks it can also be brake dust if your wheels get dirty.

I purchased a car lift primarily so I could easily fix this issue, but have been using a pressure washer to spray the brake pads real good whenever I wash the car (every week or 2) and have not had the issue since.

Iā€™ve also read where people use a stick to poke the brake dust shields to dislodge the rocks.

Anyone has pebble stuck to the break pad which makes crazy squeaking noise with their CTR 2019?
Happened to me two times within the pass half year and today I am hearing the crazy noise again which I believe is another pebble. I rarely drive to roads with LOTS pebbles but sometimes just regular roads have them too :(

Anyone know how this can be solved? Feels like taking the car to dealership almost every or every other month because of this issue is quite annoying and money spending :(

Also, would it damage the break or something if I still drive it before taking it to the service?

OP
OP

et4891

First Name
ET
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R 2019
Country flag
This was happening to my car every few weeks and it was driving me nuts. In addition to rocks it can also be brake dust if your wheels get dirty.

I purchased a car lift primarily so I could easily fix this issue, but have been using a pressure washer to spray the brake pads real good whenever I wash the car (every week or 2) and have not had the issue since.

Iā€™ve also read where people use a stick to poke the brake dust shields to dislodge the rocks.
I have 0 sense with cars `stick to poke` :fear: sounds scary.
Guess this is a really normal thing to happen then :(

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I havenā€™t tried the poking the dust shield with a stick method yet. Only recall reading it here on the forums awhile back...

Iā€™ve been spraying my brakes thoroughly with a pressure washer each time I wash the car. Have not experienced the issue again since Iā€™ve been doing this.

I wash the car once every 1 to 1.5 weeks now.

Prior to that was having all kinds of issues every 2-3 weeks it seemed.... but I did not have a pressure washer at that time.

I have 0 sense with cars `stick to poke` :fear: sounds scary.
Guess this is a really normal thing to happen then :(

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
I had been having this problem, dislodged the pebbles in various ways. Surprisingly, since I installed rock guards in the wheel wells a couple of weeks go it hasn't happened, no idea that their could be a connection. Also there is a member that has designed and stone guards for the rotors and is thinking of marketing them.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
... I installed rock guards in the wheel wells ...
Are they the same as splash guards / mud guards? If not, can you provide a link to the product? Thanks.

CTSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Country flag
QUOTE="TypeSiR, post: 690290, member: 11341"]Are they the same as splash guards / mud guards? If not, can you provide a link to the product? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Data on rock shields specifically for installation above rotors posted a couple of days ago by member '.grimace'.

The carbon fiber rock shields that I installed, like mud guards but slimmer, stronger, and better looking, intended for preventing stone chips on the bodywork. Search oldskoolfab on the Type R forum, they are not inexpensive, but look and work well.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Data on rock shields specifically for installation above rotors posted a couple of days ago by member '.grimace'.

The carbon fiber rock shields that I installed, like mud guards but slimmer, stronger, and better looking, intended for preventing stone chips on the bodywork. Search oldskoolfab on the Type R forum, they are not inexpensive, but look and work well.
Thanks, I already have splash guards installed. Hopefully they work just as well as the oldskoolfab rock shields in preventing rocks getting into the rotors.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
It's always my front drivers side. It drives me crazy. Whenever I wash my car I spray it for a couple minutes with the pressure washer. That'll clear it up for a few days. Right now the job site I'm on is all dirt and Stone (there's still an asphalt parking lot so I'm not actually driving on that) but there's no point in really washing my car since it will just get dirty instantly from dust blowing around.

I'm getting my Wedssports tc105x wheels with 18" tires in a couple days, I'll see if the brake shield is warped and can be reshaped. These stock rotors are hot garbage, I'll need gyrodiscs down the road, mine are all grooved to hell already.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
May want to consider hitting up Grimace for a set of brake rock shields, I think he is still may be taking orders. $150 isnā€™t a bad price to eliminate that headache. Iā€™m getting a set, even though havenā€™t had the issue for a few months now.

My rotors are grooved as well. Also thinking of going with gyrodisc soon.

It's always my front drivers side. It drives me crazy. Whenever I wash my car I spray it for a couple minutes with the pressure washer. That'll clear it up for a few days. Right now the job site I'm on is all dirt and Stone (there's still an asphalt parking lot so I'm not actually driving on that) but there's no point in really washing my car since it will just get dirty instantly from dust blowing around.

I'm getting my Wedssports tc105x wheels with 18" tires in a couple days, I'll see if the brake shield is warped and can be reshaped. These stock rotors are hot garbage, I'll need gyrodiscs down the road, mine are all grooved to hell already.

AdamD19DFK8

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FK8 Type R, 2007 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
May want to consider hitting up Grimace for a set of brake rock shields, I think he is still may be taking orders. $150 isnā€™t a bad price to eliminate that headache. Iā€™m getting a set, even though havenā€™t had the issue for a few months now.

My rotors are grooved as well. Also thinking of going with gyrodisc soon.
It's pretty unacceptable for rotors to be grooved already. I don't recall when exactly I noticed it, but it was before 10,000 miles. I mean they still stop fine, but im sure it's unevenly wearing the pads. I've never really had to do a full emergency stop, just did one once to see what the brakes were like. The roads I take where I can drive spirited I'll sometimes go hard on the brakes once I'm about to crest the hill so I don't come over blind at 130 and get a ticket. Rear rotors look fine. I doubt Honda would do anything about replacing the fronts.

fatherpain

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.civicx.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Absolutely. Dunno when I first noticed front rotor grooves, but it was way early as well.

The big problem would be putting new flat pads against the grooved rotor so there wouldnā€™t be full contact until the pads wore in.

The Gyrodisc rep said the OEM rotors probably could be machined flat again if a shop has the correct tooling and knowledge.

But they will likely groove again quickly.

It's pretty unacceptable for rotors to be grooved already. I don't recall when exactly I noticed it, but it was before 10,000 miles. I mean they still stop fine, but im sure it's unevenly wearing the pads. I've never really had to do a full emergency stop, just did one once to see what the brakes were like. The roads I take where I can drive spirited I'll sometimes go hard on the brakes once I'm about to crest the hill so I don't come over blind at 130 and get a ticket. Rear rotors look fine. I doubt Honda would do anything about replacing the fronts.

BBP_CTRawr

First Name
Tri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Civic Type R BBP
Country flag
I fixed mines with the help of this video and some chopsticks.

Sponsored