AJ28

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic SI 2017
Country flag
I get this strong squeaking noise every time I turn the steering wheel left or about 20 degrees at freeway speeds. I've checked brakes if anything was rubbing with rotor and also the ball joint boot. I was wondering what else could be the cause? TIA
Sponsored

iShift_6

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
I was/am getting a squealing sound when the wheel is just left of center or turning left, which goes away when the brakes are applied.
When you checked the brakes, did you check the brake pad retainer clip?

In my case for whatever reason, it is moving around, even thought it has bends on it that should prevent that.
For me, the upper clips slides towards the wheel, leading the back edge to rub on the rotor, and sounding like the squealer on the pad hitting the rotor.
I have yet to take everything apart to see what is actually wrong, that should be next weekend.

In the interim I have re-positioned the clip by gently tapping it with a hammer and a piece of brass rod at the corners.
It only needs to move about .050 of an inch, so not much force is needed.

Hope that helps.

sesty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Going in for service for this exact issue on Wednesday..

Pulled the wheel and pads off didn’t solve anything but I didn’t pull off the clips

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Thanks for the follow up. Have you had a brake job yet, or has this pin worked it's way out from the factory?

stickshiftnewbie

First Name
Phel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
10th gen SI
Country flag
I found the problem. It was the brake pin holding the brake pads rubbing on the rotor. Just had to get a flat head screwdriver to bend it back into place and its back to normal :)
Do you have a picture? And did you have a brake job before it happened?

jason510

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Do you have a picture? And did you have a brake job before it happened?
x2....Good questions. If it was after a break job not done at the dealership, it wouldn't be covered under warranty right?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
I found the problem. It was the brake pin holding the brake pads rubbing on the rotor. Just had to get a flat head screwdriver to bend it back into place and its back to normal :)
I have this issue intermittently. Car is still on the factory brakes. I'll see if your solution works. Thanks.

Chris_FC1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
If you are still having that squeaking problem when turning this may be one of the issues. Those 2 brass looking clips that hold your brake pads in might have moved causing it to rub when turning. I just got a rubber mallet and hit it a little and it moved back where it is suppose to be. (You don’t have to remove the tire if you have a brass punch) Test drove it after I put back on the tire and the squeaking stopped. I hope this helps.

amped_imports

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si , 2003 S2000
Country flag
Yep I had the same issue and like others said it was the brake pad clip. I need to sand it down a little as it's doing it again. Attached is a picture of the issue.
Honda Civic 10th gen squeaking sound when turning left civic cli

Chris_FC1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Whenever it starts doing that again I might have to consider sanding it down like you.

amped_imports

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si , 2003 S2000
Country flag
I had the issue again earlier this week and realized once I took the metal clip out that you can't sand/grind it down to make it stop. I can't find a good picture of it, but its the 90° bend that is supposed to help keep the clip in place that actually hits the rotor. What I ended up doing was using a pair of vice grips I took the 90° bend and opened it to about 45°, then grabbed about 1/16" an in past the that initial bend crease and then bent it 90 and flattened out the initial bend. (if that makes sense). It worked like a charm and took up the slack. Sounds like someone at the stamping plant let some clips get out that weren't to spec. Its just odd that ever occurrence of this I've heard of it's just on the drivers side.
Sponsored