Chris_FC1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I just went to my local dealer and they already knew about the problem and replaced it under the limited warranty. Before I brought it to the dealer I had it happen again and hit it back in place and used silicon to stop it from moving again. I would recommend if you want it to be a quick and easy fix. Kind of an eye sore because you can see the silicon if you don’t do a great job. That’s the only con about it. Even the mechanic that replaced the clips said he never saw anybody use silicon before to stop that and said that’s probably the best and easiest way to fix it.
Sponsored

Onlymichaelberg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Googled my problem and found this forum. Great site so I joined. This is all great info and plan on changing my brakes this weekend. Will this solve issue? Is there a particular brake pad I should look into buying since this seems to be a brake pad clip issue?

Chris_FC1

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Sadly it will not completely solve the problem. I went to the dealer again and told them it was happening again after they replaced the brake shims. They told me that one of the main problems is if you are driving it hard braking and turning and sometimes bumpy roads constantly will start to make the shims move again. I personally just hit it back with a punch and a hammer whenever it happens. I hope this helps you.

Onlymichaelberg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Sadly it will not completely solve the problem. I went to the dealer again and told them it was happening again after they replaced the brake shims. They told me that one of the main problems is if you are driving it hard braking and turning and sometimes bumpy roads constantly will start to make the shims move again. I personally just hit it back with a punch and a hammer whenever it happens. I hope this helps you.
Thank you. I'll give it a good bang.

Onlymichaelberg

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
That fixed it. Tapped it a few times a moved it back slightly. Just got to work and not a peep! Thanks for the help!

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hmmm... mine started doing it after some rough roads in VA while on a road trip last week. I just pulled my front drivers side wheel and am looking to see what’s running now.... hopefully it’s as simple as this. I’d taken my car to the dealer this past weekend for some end of the B2B warranty stuff mentioned the sound and they said “need to turn rotors... $150 an axle will fix it” and I threw the bullshit-plus-you’re-insane-at-that-price flag.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Question... anyone able to confirm there’s return springs (that’s what I’ve always called them) top and bottom? I’ve only replaced brakes a couple times over the years but I don’t remember only a single one being used. I don’t think it’s drag over the rotor that’a causing the rotor... but I didn’t see anything spot that looks like it’s contacting. Both front rotors don’t have them on the bottom of their respective pads.

Bottom w/o spring
Honda Civic 10th gen squeaking sound when turning left BAB18767-C270-4FFB-8050-F1878079B462

Top w/spring
Honda Civic 10th gen squeaking sound when turning left 526141E4-F4DF-48BD-AB0A-4F99AB32C327

Last edited:

zspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Sport Hatchback FK7
Country flag
Hmmm... mine started doing it after some rough roads in VA while on a road trip last week. I just pulled my front drivers side wheel and am looking to see what’s running now.... hopefully it’s as simple as this. I’d taken my car to the dealer this past weekend for some end of the B2B warranty stuff mentioned the sound and they said “need to turn rotors... $150 an axle will fix it” and I threw the bullshit-plus-you’re-insane-at-that-price flag.
Same thing with mine. Ticking noise when I accelerate from a dead stop and when turning left slowly that disappears when I gain speed. Dealer said that it might be the cv axle joint. The noise is still there even though I had my pads and rotors replaced. Although I am suspecting that the shim might also be causing it since I can see that they didn’t replace it even though I had new shims with me when I had it installed.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Well I tweaked the brass clips and the noise is gone. (shrug) Guess they needed more clearance than what they had.

K_Dub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI coupe, 2018 Gx460
Country flag
Note to self: search forums before buying parts.

I had been listening to my car squeaking on left turns for about a month. I was just sure it was the brake pads. I know the sound of old brake pads, and that was it. My only doubt was that it hadn't gotten any worse over time. But I know brakes... So I bought all new pads to swap in this weekend. Got the car lifted up this morning then discovered practically new pads on all four corners. Frustrated, I put the wheels back on and dropped it back down. Only then did I find this thread. So I just fiddled with the shims with a screwdriver and pick between the spokes, and now it's fixed! Now I can return the parts I bought for no good reason. Thanks forum.

K_Dub

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 SI coupe, 2018 Gx460
Country flag
Note to self: search forums before buying parts.

I had been listening to my car squeaking on left turns for about a month. I was just sure it was the brake pads. I know the sound of old brake pads, and that was it. My only doubt was that it hadn't gotten any worse over time. But I know brakes... So I bought all new pads to swap in this weekend. Got the car lifted up this morning then discovered practically new pads on all four corners. Frustrated, I put the wheels back on and dropped it back down. Only then did I find this thread. So I just fiddled with the shims with a screwdriver and pick between the spokes, and now it's fixed! Now I can return the parts I bought for no good reason. Thanks forum.
The squeak is back... I had four whole days without it. I guess I'll have to tear it apart this weekend and try to bend things a bit more drastically. This is a pretty dumb design flaw. I'm a bit disappointed.
Sponsored