Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
That high school tech is smarter than you. Imagine thinking the squeal comes from the brake pins that don’t move and advising someone to spray a LUBRICANT onto the rotor which is designed to create friction.

Holy smokes you’re a pine cone
I've been temp banned before on here for speaking my mind. I am trying so hard to be nice ?
Sponsored

M16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ex
Country flag
Wow people are quick to attack him at the first sight of the word WD40.
If you bothered to read, he sprayed wd40 SILICONE spray, it's a silicone lube like the permatex or other brand lube for caliper pins, not the regular wd40, so it's ok.
Also he sprayed on the caliper slide pins for the pads. Again that's perfectly fine. As long as he was careful and didnt contaminate his rotors and pads with it.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Wow people are quick to attack OP at the first sight of the word WD40.
If you bothered to read, he sprayed wd40 SILICONE spray, it's a silicone lube like the permatex or other brand lube for caliper pins, not the regular wd40, so it's ok.
Also he sprayed on the caliper slide pins for the pads. Again that's perfectly fine. As long as he was careful and didnt contaminate his rotors and pads with it.
Save the lube for the bedroom.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
My brakes are fine , and my issue was solved. Yes I agree its unsafe to spray silicone water resistant spray onto the rotors where specifically I said inside the caliper where the sqeal is taking place but my after a few miles the brakes will grip again. Would I do this right before tracking the car , no I would not. But any slippage is gone after the pads heat up . You all keep saying its a stone its NOT A STONE!

Unless you have a better idea bring up something else that may help the OP because there is already another 2020 OWNER on here that has brought his car to the dealer and the report was no stone in the rotors. The car had the calipers lubed by the tech on one side yet it still came back.

Its nice to see the mods get rid of the immature adults on here.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
I find it ironic 2017-2019 CTR owners think they know the problem but they have completely different brakes and or do not even drive a 2020 CTR. Instead of throwing out insults and slandering people about how educated they are , you all should at least write more than a one liner sentence to have some sort of an educated discussion so :topic:. But this might be too hard for you all.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I find it ironic 2017-2019 CTR owners think they know the problem but they have completely different brakes and or do not even drive a 2020 CTR. Instead of throwing out insults and slandering people about how educated they are , you all should at least write more than a one liner sentence to have some sort of an educated discussion so :topic:. But this might be too hard for you all.
Naw I don’t think anyone wants to spend time to explain why it’s a bad idea. Continue in your ignorance and spray WD40 on your brakes lol

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
I have a 2020. It is just as susceptible to squeals from rocks as any other CTR. It’s happened to mine 4 times already. I actually had to remove the wheel to get the last one out. My brakes have otherwise been silent unless they had a rock stuck. I would strongly recommend to anyone reading this thread that WD-40 should not be used on any braking hardware.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Hello all, 36,819 checking in - have put roughly 1,000 miles on the car and over the past 300 or so of those miles the front brakes have developed a hideous squeak / squeal. I understand this is somewhat common on these cars, however, I can hear the metal on metal sound while driving, with windows up and when I enter my neighborhood at lower speeds it gets significantly more intense. It is embarrassing, distracting and perhaps damaging components (2-peice rotors warping?).

I visited my dealerships service department and got the "they all do that" runaround. Hoping to remedy this, as it is making this car (which I love) difficult to enjoy.

Thank you in advance
The mechanic isn’t giving you the runaround. These brake pads will squeal a lot, especially if you haven’t put enough heat in them and even more so if they haven’t been bed in. A few firm stops from 60 over a short time and letting the brakes cool should get a decent bedding in. Then it’s also best to brake just a tad bit harder to keep the heat in the brakes to lower the chances they squeal. Normally I had to get the first two “bars” to fill on the brake meter in the dash and I’d be able to rid of all squeals until I did a lot of city driving.

If you do hear metal on metal, it’s most likely a rock as others have stated.

It’s probably not the best idea to spray any sort of lubricant onto your braking system.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
The mechanic isn’t giving you the runaround. These brake pads will squeal a lot, especially if you haven’t put enough heat in them and even more so if they haven’t been bed in. A few firm stops from 60 over a short time and letting the brakes cool should get a decent bedding in. Then it’s also best to brake just a tad bit harder to keep the heat in the brakes to lower the chances they squeal. Normally I had to get the first two “bars” to fill on the brake meter in the dash and I’d be able to rid of all squeals until I did a lot of city driving.

If you do hear metal on metal, it’s most likely a rock as others have stated.

It’s probably not the best idea to spray any sort of lubricant onto your braking system.
Again
I owned a 2018 CTR this is different than the 2020 CTR as the noise comes from either the brake pads or calipers. Also the 2018 CTR I drove the brake pads squealed on day 1 the 2020 CTR has a different brake setup , my issue was solved spraying some silicone into my front right caliper , i have no issues now . I know what a rock ting ting scratching noise sounds like on the older brake setups.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
I have a 2020. It is just as susceptible to squeals from rocks as any other CTR. It’s happened to mine 4 times already. I actually had to remove the wheel to get the last one out. My brakes have otherwise been silent unless they had a rock stuck. I would strongly recommend to anyone reading this thread that WD-40 should not be used on any braking hardware.
There is already several 2020 owners coming on here explaining it wasnt rocks after going to the dealership. The lubed the pins in the calipers and it stops for awhile but may come back.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Naw I don’t think anyone wants to spend time to explain why it’s a bad idea. Continue in your ignorance and spray WD40 on your brakes lol
I dont think you know the difference between the regular wd 40 oil based penetrating lubricant vs a silicone based , if anything it protects against rust

here go learn and come back and explain why this is harmful? If you cant do this get out of the class room
Sponsored