Squeaking brakes on MY2020 CTR

JamesinSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Hello all, 36,819 checking in - have put roughly 1,000 miles on the car and over the past 300 or so of those miles the front brakes have developed a hideous squeak / squeal. I understand this is somewhat common on these cars, however, I can hear the metal on metal sound while driving, with windows up and when I enter my neighborhood at lower speeds it gets significantly more intense. It is embarrassing, distracting and perhaps damaging components (2-peice rotors warping?).

I visited my dealerships service department and got the "they all do that" runaround. Hoping to remedy this, as it is making this car (which I love) difficult to enjoy.

Thank you in advance
Sponsored

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Mine have squeaked since I bought the car in Feb 2019. There are numerous posts here on this problem. Most answers involved different brake pads. If you actually have a metal to metal sound I have read people getting gravel between their rotor and the shield which is an easy fix, remove the gravel.

UDEL09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R
Country flag
Sounds like you have a piece of loose gravel stuck between the heat shield and rotor. If you maneuver your phone on the top of your brake rotor behind your caliper and take a picture you can usually see it. I usually have this issue on the front passenger side of the vehicle. Once you determine where it is, you can usually get it knocked out with a long flathead screw driver or tweezers. You can also take the wheel off and that will help with getting access to it. I have found by avoiding sharp turns on gravel roads I have decreased the occurrence of this happening. Good Luck!

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
Well I mean the dealer is right when they said they all do that. If you hear grinding, you most likely have a rock stuck behind the dust shield. This is very very common. Brake squeal is also common. Bed them in properly or get less aggressive pads

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Hello all, 36,819 checking in - have put roughly 1,000 miles on the car and over the past 300 or so of those miles the front brakes have developed a hideous squeak / squeal. I understand this is somewhat common on these cars, however, I can hear the metal on metal sound while driving, with windows up and when I enter my neighborhood at lower speeds it gets significantly more intense. It is embarrassing, distracting and perhaps damaging components (2-peice rotors warping?).

I visited my dealerships service department and got the "they all do that" runaround. Hoping to remedy this, as it is making this car (which I love) difficult to enjoy.

Thank you in advance
I solved this issue with my 2020 CTR started squeaking or noticed it at 600 miles. Not sure if it is the break pads or the brembos but bought some WD 40 Silcone spry lubricant and sprayed each brembo where the pins are in the middle of the brembo rotor where there is an opening. It completely reduced the noise to embarasing low speed squeal at around 10mph -28 mph to barely any noise at all. It took a few miles for the greese to set in and the brake pads to grip since i sprayed my rotors too. I would not do any high speed braking after doing this but it has solved my issue completely . It is definitly not a rock, I know what that sounds like since i owned a 2018 CTR before. It has something to do with this years new rotor /brake pad setup. I really dont get it.

I can chill in comfort mode driving my CTR through my neighborhood , its nice and quiet now.

I think it might go away after i pressure wash my rotors with soap and water.

here is what you need and it can be found anywhere locally.
https://www.circlecsupply.com/wd-40...S5mAupuq51ZqnNoX0FwvsgLimfQcl2hBoCha4QAvD_BwE

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
I solved this issue with my 2020 CTR started squeaking or noticed it at 600 miles. Not sure if it is the break pads or the brembos but bought some WD 40 Silcone spry lubricant and sprayed each brembo where the pins are in the middle of the brembo rotor where there is an opening. It completely reduced the noise to embarasing low speed squeal at around 10mph -28 mph to barely any noise at all. It took a few miles for the greese to set in and the brake pads to grip since i sprayed my rotors too. I would not do any high speed braking after doing this but it has solved my issue completely . It is definitly not a rock, I know what that sounds like since i owned a 2018 CTR before. It has something to do with this years new rotor /brake pad setup. I really dont get it.

I can chill in comfort mode driving my CTR through my neighborhood , its nice and quiet now.

https://www.circlecsupply.com/wd-40...S5mAupuq51ZqnNoX0FwvsgLimfQcl2hBoCha4QAvD_BwE
Can’t tell if you’re trolling or just uneducated

DO NOT SPRAY WD40 ON YOUR BRAKE ROTOR.

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag

To the OP...DO NOT DO THIS. My god, spraying a lubricant on any part of a brake system is the DUMBEST thing I have read on this forum.

OP, check for rocks. These pads squeak/squeal like crazy...

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
To the OP...DO NOT DO THIS. My god, spraying a lubricant on any part of a brake system is the DUMBEST thing I have read on this forum.

OP, check for rocks. These pads squeak/squeal like crazy...
are you serious? it fixes the problem. I did last night and it works. Yeah it will cause the brakes to not grab for a few miles but then its fixed .

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Can’t tell if you’re trolling or just uneducated

DO NOT SPRAY WD40 ON YOUR BRAKE ROTOR.
If you cant tell I am trolling then you are uneducated . My issue is fixed and its NOT A STONE. GET A 2020 CTR and drive it for awhile before you start trolling my comments !

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
are you serious? it fixes the problem. I did last night and it works. Yeah it will cause the brakes to not grab for a few miles but then its fixed .
Are you serious? Christ... people like you need to refrain from giving "advice" on cars. You fill up your blinker fluid lately?

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
ok misunderstanding i sprayed inside my caliper not the actually rotor ,
I already PMed the OP my fix and it works :)

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
ok misunderstanding i sprayed inside my caliper not the actually rotor ,
Still dumb as shit. No less dumb than spraying a rotor. Congratulations, you have received the asshat award today. Anyone you would like to thank for making this possible?

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Are you serious? Christ... people like you need to refrain from giving "advice" on cars. You fill up your blinker fluid lately?
yeah and you tried to tell him it was a Rock. Bro get a 2020 CTR will ya before you come on here and start talking you sound like a fool . btw do you even have the new 2 piece rotor setup on your 2019 or 2017 older CTR?

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
wow the insults from you are funny, do you have any social life outside this forum or do you get your jollies by throwing out insults to forum members?

again i have owned a 2018 and now a 2020 CTR. on the other hand you own a 2017 CTR. Get a 2020 CTR before you think you can trouble shoot ..
The lubricant will settle into the caliper where the squeal is happening and the rest of the silcone that may get on your rotors will go away after a few miles and high speed braking will be fine. This can easily be tested on the highway after a few miles. There is nothing wrong with my method which solved my issue. I would rather do this then take my car to a BS Honda dealer to some high school tech that may damage my car even more by taking off all my rims and my calipers and putting in some high temp greese on my caliper pins or pads.
Stop. Now. You are giving unsafe advice. Stop.

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
wow the insults from you are funny, do you have any social life outside this forum or do you get your jollies by throwing out insults to forum members?

again i have owned a 2018 and now a 2020 CTR. on the other hand you own a 2017 CTR. Get a 2020 CTR before you think you can trouble shoot ..
The lubricant will settle into the caliper where the squeal is happening and the rest of the silcone that may get on your rotors will go away after a few miles and high speed braking will be fine. This can easily be tested on the highway after a few miles. There is nothing wrong with my method which solved my issue. I would rather do this then take my car to a BS Honda dealer to some high school tech that may damage my car even more by taking off all my rims and my calipers and putting in some high temp greese on my caliper pins or pads.
That high school tech is smarter than you. Imagine thinking the squeal comes from the brake pins that don’t move and advising someone to spray a LUBRICANT onto the rotor which is designed to create friction.

Holy smokes you’re a pine cone
Sponsored