First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I just - as in yesterday - heard some intermittent brake squeal on my 2018 - which has just under 19,000 miles. I am not the original owner - I only put the last 6,000 on it - so hope it was broken in correctly. Seems early for it to need new pads or rotors turned. Thinking it might be something caught in there. Also, I am very gentle on brakes. The SI that I traded had 52,000 miles on the original brakes - and still had 70-80 % of the brake life left per Honda's service tech. So not sure why there should be any brake issues at 18 to 19,000 miles on my Type R. Also, the SI brakes did not squeal except twice - and that when the left front caliper was a hair out of spec, so was rubbing. Easy fix. The noise on my CTR sounds...different. Much worse.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I just - as in yesterday - heard some intermittent brake squeal on my 2018 - which has just under 19,000 miles. I am not the original owner - I only put the last 6,000 on it - so hope it was broken in correctly. Seems early for it to need new pads or rotors turned. Thinking it might be something caught in there. Also, I am very gentle on brakes. The SI that I traded had 52,000 miles on the original brakes - and still had 70-80 % of the brake life left per Honda's service tech. So not sure why there should be any brake issues at 18 to 19,000 miles on my Type R. Also, the SI brakes did not squeal except twice - and that when the left front caliper was a hair out of spec, so was rubbing. Easy fix. The noise on my CTR sounds...different. Much worse.
Itā€™s the fact that youā€™re gentle on your brakes. It could be a rock still, but being gentle on the brakes will do the same.

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
The intermittent squeak on my 2018 at under 20,000 miles that just got fixed? Brake dust buildup per dealer.
Get that cleaned out for starters. My local dealer did that no charge.
I hear that Hawk HPS pads have way less brake dust buildup. And are okay for road use, modulate better, but are less than stellar for track.

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
The intermittent squeak on my 2018 at under 20,000 miles that just got fixed? Brake dust buildup per dealer.
Get that cleaned out for starters. My local dealer did that no charge.
I hear that Hawk HPS pads have way less brake dust buildup. And are okay for road use, modulate better, but are less than stellar for track.
HPS modulate more, but also donā€™t offer as much stopping power, so youā€™ll have to give more for them to stop at the same rate. On top of that they will fade quicker too. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve noticed as much dust with them, though that never seemed to bother me that much. The only issue I have with them is wet cold weather (near freezing) on the expressway where it seemed like ice would build up on the pads and my brakes would not work for 1 or 2 pumps; it took about 10-15 minutes for this to happen. Youā€™re in AZ though, so you probably wonā€˜t see this issue.

jasonjm

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type-R
Country flag
HPS modulate more, but also donā€™t offer as much stopping power, so youā€™ll have to give more for them to stop at the same rate. On top of that they will fade quicker too. I donā€™t think Iā€™ve noticed as much dust with them, though that never seemed to bother me that much. The only issue I have with them is wet cold weather (near freezing) on the expressway where it seemed like ice would build up on the pads and my brakes would not work for 1 or 2 pumps; it took about 10-15 minutes for this to happen. Youā€™re in AZ though, so you probably wonā€˜t see this issue.
I run the 5.0s, and have felt that I get better street behavior than stock which always felt soft and greasy with high temperatures. You can feel the 5.0s bite the rotor, and I like that. Iā€™ve roasted the 5.0s as well, to test the limit and I like the progressive drop off. For track look elsewhere, if it donā€™t squeal the pad isnā€™t hard enough ;-)

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
I run the 5.0s, and have felt that I get better street behavior than stock which always felt soft and greasy with high temperatures. You can feel the 5.0s bite the rotor, and I like that. Iā€™ve roasted the 5.0s as well, to test the limit and I like the progressive drop off. For track look elsewhere, if it donā€™t squeal the pad isnā€™t hard enough ;-)
The 5.0s I have actually squeal very little. One of the original reasons why I wanted them. A less aggressive pad for the street that dealt with the squeal so I didnā€™t have to be so murderous on the brakes. If it wasnā€™t for the cold weather issues in the wet Iā€™d probably keep using them.
Sponsored