Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
Basically silicone greese , i guess I shouldnt put this stuff on when changing my brakes either?After all it is silicone

:rolleyes1:
Sponsored

dwag0588

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 CW CTR, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2006 NC Miata, 2018 Silverado 5.3 (work)
Country flag
Basically silicone greese , i guess I shouldnt put this stuff on when changing my brakes either?After all it is silicone

:rolleyes1:
You'll notice that:
1. The brakes are fully disassembled
2. They don't use an aerosol can

They way you did it gives you zero control over where the lubricant goes. This is why it's not the way to go.

yargk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R, '16 GT4, '19 GSW 4motion 6mt
Country flag
I'm young and I think I have good ears, but to me there is brake squeal in the CTR, but it's not that loud. I mean it's quiet enough to learn to ignore if you convince yourself that it's awesome. And you should think it's awesome because no brake pad that is good for track work doesn't squeal a little (honestly). Try pagid yellows, those are about 5 times as loud!

Hatchi

First Name
Liam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Prius, 2020 BBP CTR
Country flag
Yeah I've had a bunch of rocks in my 2020 and it still has the occasional squeaking at low speeds if it hasn't been driven hard that day. My solution to fix it? Drive it hard, far more fun and less stressful than fucking up with lube and having to decontaminate your rotors after disassembling your entire break setup :D

GTWaggin'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sonic Gray Type R
Country flag
I had the pebbles making noise on my new '19, from the right front. It happened on the first days of ownership. Very disturbing noise. After reading up, I somehow pushed the heat shield a bit, and must have dislodged the pebble. I dread gravel! Deciding between wheels with dedicated ice/snows, or All Seasons here in Michigan.

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
again its not rocks causing the issue and alitle silcone lubricant inside the caliper by using a spray is not going to screw up rotors or calipers. My issue was completely solved without having to jack my car up and remove all my lugs and tires. There is no reason to be taking off your tires before 10k miles anyway LOL unless you are tracking the car.

my squeal is constant and only goes away when braking , the front left had the issue and was annoying as hell , as soon as i gave it some silicone lubricant inside the caliper it went away.,

Last edited:

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
again its not rocks causing the issue and alitle silcone lubricant inside the caliper by using a spray is not going to screw up rotors or calipers. My issue was completely solved without having to jack my car up and remove all my lugs and tires. There is no reason to be taking off your tires before 10k miles anyway LOL unless you are tracking the car.

my squeal is constant and only goes away when breaking , the front left had the issue and was annoying as hell , as soon as i gave it some silicone lubricant inside the caliper it went away.,
I believe the word is braking...

GotCTR?

Banned
Banned
First Name
JOHN BOY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTR 2020
Country flag
I believe the word is braking...
Sorry I did not do spell check. but at least you knew what i meant LOL, got anymore troll comments to add? Or you just want to write one liner sentences and try to insult forum members?

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
Sorry I did not do spell check. but at least you knew what i meant LOL, got anymore troll comments to add? Or you just want to write one liner sentences and try to insult forum members?
Chill out...Life doesn't have to be wrapped in anger and defensive attacks. This is a forum. Everybody has an opinion. Some are wrong. Some are not. I was just trying to calm things down. This has become quite the S-show...

OP
OP

JamesinSoCal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
well this is going well. think we can cap the replies here and conclude that the CTR pads squeal and that there are varying perspectives on if this can be addressed. enjoy your (noisy) cars!

Lust

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Champ White Type R
Country flag
well this is going well. think we can cap the replies here and conclude that the CTR pads squeal and that there are varying perspectives on if this can be addressed. enjoy your (noisy) cars!
it’s really a simple answer but I guess some people refuse to believe it.

I’ll say it again
If you hear a grinding noise, it’s most likely a pebble behind the dust shield

If it’s squealing it’s the pad squeaking against the rotor because of the metal on metal contact. Doing a proper bed in of the pads will lay down a transfer layer to help mitigate brake squeal. The squeal gets worse as you go up in aggressiveness / metallics. Don’t want any noise? Get an organic pad like every other commuter car.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
Other than rocks causing the squeal, the shim on the backside of the pads can vibrate and cause squeal. That's why with the pads removed you can apply thicker brake grease to the backside of the shim.

Don't go spraying lube everywhere. There is a right and wrong/lazy way to go about it. That's your prerogative. Its incredulous seeing someone double down on spraying lube on brake parts claiming the 2 pc rotor is defining difference.

Last edited:

Cornercarver

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda civic Type R, 2002 Lexus SC430
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Hello all, 36,819 checking in - have put roughly 1,000 miles on the car and over the past 300 or so of those miles the front brakes have developed a hideous squeak / squeal. I understand this is somewhat common on these cars, however, I can hear the metal on metal sound while driving, with windows up and when I enter my neighborhood at lower speeds it gets significantly more intense. It is embarrassing, distracting and perhaps damaging components (2-peice rotors warping?).

I visited my dealerships service department and got the "they all do that" runaround. Hoping to remedy this, as it is making this car (which I love) difficult to enjoy.

Thank you in advance
1. Get a second inspection / opinion.
2. Pads may not have set correctly
3. Make sure calipers are at exact spec or they will rub. Happened to me.
4. Don't accept this as something that is fine and you have to live with. It is not.

Dave B

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette Z06 (sold) 2020 CW
Country flag
No matter what your thoughts are on silicone spray, it sure isn't going to last long.
Sponsored