mackmechanic

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Honda Civic 10th gen Spring rubbers? 5ED0A79E-9A38-4CAF-8144-2DF3C91C8FCF
So I took the wheels and tires off our new type r today to run to the tire shop and get all seasons swapped on. I noticed this thing has spring rubbers in the front struts. I searched, but wasn’t able to find any info anywhere on them being on there and weather or not I could run with them out. They were in when I jacked her up and put her on stands. It’s a lil stiff for my liking in comfort mode.
Sponsored

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Looks like just a regular old dust boot for a strut. You talking about this sort of thing...?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...+dust+boot&dpPl=1&dpID=41MB4V0QWDL&ref=plSrch

If so then... yeah, that's your dust boot. It's preferable to keep them on to keep damper clean and not dirt get into it then so they wear out quick...

Usually there are rubber inserts where the top and bottom.of the spring sit to keep them quiet... I'm not 100% sure what a 'spring rubber' would be referring to.

OP
OP

mackmechanic

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
Looks like just a regular old dust boot for a strut. You talking about this sort of thing...?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000...+dust+boot&dpPl=1&dpID=41MB4V0QWDL&ref=plSrch

If so then... yeah, that's your dust boot. It's preferable to keep them on to keep damper clean and not dirt get into it then so they wear out quick...

Usually there are rubber inserts where the top and bottom.of the spring sit to keep them quiet... I'm not 100% sure what a 'spring rubber' would be referring to.

I’m talking about the orange pieces of rubber held on with one zip tie each. Not the strut dust boot.

EricDET

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Type R
5ED0A79E-9A38-4CAF-8144-2DF3C91C8FCF.jpeg
So I took the wheels and tires off our new type r today to run to the tire shop and get all seasons swapped on. I noticed this thing has spring rubbers in the front struts. I searched, but wasn’t able to find any info anywhere on them being on there and weather or not I could run with them out. They were in when I jacked her up and put her on stands. It’s a lil stiff for my liking in comfort mode.
These should have been removed at PDI at the dealer. Remove them. They’re for shipping.

OP
OP

mackmechanic

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
These should have been removed at PDI at the dealer. Remove them. They’re for shipping.

Nice. So they’re not spring rubbers in the conventional sense. good thing we only put a lil over 100 miles on her. Anything else that they should have removed during PDI, which obviously wasn’t done that I need to look at?

JJAY8175

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord 2007 Honda civic SI 97 Subaru Legacy 17 CTR CW #3892
Country flag
Nice. So they’re not spring rubbers in the conventional sense. good thing we only put a lil over 100 miles on her. Anything else that they should have removed during PDI, which obviously wasn’t done that I need to look at?
I've seen this posted several times, it amazes me how many techs don't read a simple PDI check list when completing it. My PDI book wasn't even filled out by the tech that did mine. To answer your question you should be fine now.

OP
OP

mackmechanic

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic type r
I've seen this posted several times, it amazes me how many techs don't read a simple PDI check list when completing it. My PDI book wasn't even filled out by the tech that did mine. To answer your question you should be fine now.

Cool. Thanks. Maybe it’ll ride a lil different now.

shihabp79

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #2740
Country flag
It should ride very different. Those foam blocks are designed to *prevent* suspension movement during transit.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
Oh god. With these on the car will feel like it has shocks made out of wood.

Bobmaker123

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2002 S2000
Country flag
Hey guys, I had the same issue with my 2018 Type R. Seems they forgot to remove the spacers at the dealership :( Ive put about 750miles on her. You think it could have hurt the car at all???

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'd be surprised if you notice any difference with them off. Those are not rigid enough to affect the ride.

You definitely didn't hurt anything. I'd make your dealer remove them tho. It was their job to do so in the first place.

pikwit

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Hatch Sport 2001 BMW M3
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Something similar happened when S2000 came out. People were finding these on low mileage examples as recently as a few years ago!

Why waste a trip to the dealership to cut two zip ties per side and pop them out?

Snoopyslr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic EX-T, 2016 Ford F-150, 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Something similar happened when S2000 came out. People were finding these on low mileage examples as recently as a few years ago!

Why waste a trip to the dealership to cut two zip ties per side and pop them out?
So the dealer is aware of it. I always make sure the dealership knows when they screw up.

Bobmaker123

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R, 2002 S2000
Country flag
I'd be surprised if you notice any difference with them off. Those are not rigid enough to affect the ride.

You definitely didn't hurt anything. I'd make your dealer remove them tho. It was their job to do so in the first place.
Thank goodness! SO relieved to hear that! As tempted as I am to cut them off myself; I definitely want the dealership to know their F*** up lol Gunna make an appointment ASAP!
Thank you :)