repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
I'm just starting to utilize "Sport" mode. I don't like the rougher ride, or the stiffer steering. I also don't like all of the red highlights on the instrument panel. I call it angry mode.

I do like the throttle pedal sensitivity and the relaxation of the VSA. After about 15,000 miles I noticed that the car sounds better in "Sport" mode. Before that I didn't hear much difference.

I wish that I could find a comprehensive list of all of the changes that "Sport" mode affects.

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
After about 15,000 miles I noticed that the car sounds better in "Sport" mode. Before that I didn't hear much difference.
Does sport mode affect exhaust sound I can't find that anywhere nor have I noticed a difference?

3925blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si sedan
Country flag
Does sport mode affect exhaust sound I can't find that anywhere nor have I noticed a difference?
I does not have any kind of active sound change. I believe what he's referring to is the slight change in tone one can hear under the more aggressive mode. Small things can change tone for good or bad; many Mazda3 owners found that swapping the rear motor mount changed exhaust tone for the better.

lowrysam

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si Coupe (Black) w/ HFP package
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
True that man, I hear ya... I could the difference between both modes, being my first Si and with no Vtec. Which bring me to ask, do any of you with previous Si models miss the vtec?
Nope. Not one bit. I would much rather have all the torque I have now. (my 2018 si vs previous 2014 si)

However, my 2006 s2000...That was a different story. :D

repeet

Threads
Reaction score
Website
jesus7feasts.fyi
Vehicle(s)
'23 BRZ
Country flag
Up to about 15,000 miles, I could hear no difference in the sound between regular mode and Sport mode. After 15,000 miles I began to hear a difference. Now at 25,000 miles, Sport mode sounds a little deeper and throatier. I haven't found in any documentation why this should be.

HSFBunny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I can barely tell the difference between sport mode and normal as far as stiffness is concerned. I can't imagine the dampening is must more aggressive... So its unlikely that being in sport mode 100% of the time has any affect on shock lifespan... That said... Its a new platform so only time can tell for sure.
When people say "Sport Mode does nothing", it is based upon the expectation that Sport Mode would provide teeth rattling rock hard suspension on a smooth road, like a Ford ST. Honda engineers were smarter than that.

When Sport Mode is activated, the wheel's total range of motion is more constrained. In Sport Mode, suspension dampening increases as wheel moves further away from the static ride height position. It is important to note that Sport mode does not increase stiffness across the entire range of wheel travel. If you are on a smooth road, it will be difficult to feel any noticeable change, because it's not designed to do that.

Sport Mode is noticeable if you hit a large bump. Also, the car will squat less under hard acceleration.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
When people say "Sport Mode does nothing", it is based upon the expectation that Sport Mode would provide teeth rattling rock hard suspension on a smooth road, like a Ford ST. Honda engineers were smarter than that.

When Sport Mode is activated, the wheel's total range of motion is more constrained. In Sport Mode, suspension dampening increases as wheel moves further away from the static ride height position. It is important to note that Sport mode does not increase stiffness across the entire range of wheel travel. If you are on a smooth road, it will be difficult to feel any noticeable change, because it's not designed to do that.

Sport Mode is noticeable if you hit a large bump. Also, the car will squat less under hard acceleration.
Sport mode has no effect on the spring rate progression or total range of motion - those are determined by the design of the coil springs and geometry of the suspension.

What sport mode does do is vary the size of the orifice through which the fluid in the damper travels so that the wheel becomes more or less resistant to compression. It does not change the distance at which the wheel can be compressed.

Unlike the Type R, the Si's adaptive dampers don't have sensors to determine height or rate of travel. The Si's system can only alter the damper's firmness based information from other sensors such as wheel speed and steering angle.

https://salestraining.honda.com/en/...Details/Engineering/Adaptive-Damper-System-Si

https://www.hondarandd.jp/point.php?pid=1232&lang=en

BONUS: Some Hondas such as the HR-V, some Accords, the Pilot, and Ridgeline use purely-mechanical "amplitude reactive dampers" that provide less damping for a smooth ride when suspension travel is low (smooth roads) and more damping for better control when suspension travel is high (large bumps). They work well, are mechanical simpler, have no associated electronics or wiring to fail, and are a lot less expensive than electronically-controlled dampers.

Last edited:

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

I see your argument but I am failing to see where I said "Sport Mode does nothing". I said "I barely feel the difference, not that there is no difference at all. My main point was that there is not a drastic difference in dampening and therefore likelihood of using this mode significantly affecting lifespan of the shock.

9civic10

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si
Steering is too light with SM off . I like the steering feel with it on .

I can barely tell a difference with the suspension unless I'm really pushing into turns

Can't tell a difference in throttle response at all

Never hear a change in sound but this car doesn't make sound anyway haha

xbbnx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si, 2017 Si (past), 2015 Si (past)
Country flag
Up to about 15,000 miles, I could hear no difference in the sound between regular mode and Sport mode. After 15,000 miles I began to hear a difference. Now at 25,000 miles, Sport mode sounds a little deeper and throatier. I haven't found in any documentation why this should be.
Impressive number of miles

HSFBunny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I see your argument but I am failing to see where I said "Sport Mode does nothing". I said "I barely feel the difference, not that there is no difference at all. My main point was that there is not a drastic difference in dampening and therefore likelihood of using this mode significantly affecting lifespan of the shock.
I wasn’t quoting you.

HSFBunny

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Steering is too light with SM off . I like the steering feel with it on .

I can barely tell a difference with the suspension unless I'm really pushing into turns

Can't tell a difference in throttle response at all

Never hear a change in sound but this car doesn't make sound anyway haha
The throttle position is computer controlled. The throttle is actually more responsive to pedal input mid-way through travel in normal mode. This is good for everyday driving, passing on the freeway, darting through traffic etc.

In sport mode it’s more linear. Which is what you want if you’re hitting the limits of the car’s grip on the road mid corner.. You don’t want a sudden burst of power.

Although, it’s very subtle.

I assume these values are not accessible to anyone except Honda. Flashing your car’s ECU to open the throttle to max value when water temp hits 98 degrees would be extremely bad.
Sponsored