Sports Mode (general)

samaximuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat
Country flag
Hey guys I don't mean to start a new thread on this, I tried searching for it but most of the discussions have to do with Sports Mode with a tune, etc.

I was thinking the other day, I love the way the car runs on Sports Mode so first thing I do is turn it on but I started wondering if in the long run does it ruin or shorten the life span of the suspension? if so perhaps I should take it easy on it and giving it a break... I don't drive the car hard, I do gun it every now and then.
Sponsored

MavicTB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Civic Si Sedan Aegean Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I can barely tell the difference between sport mode and normal as far as stiffness is concerned. I can't imagine the dampening is must more aggressive... So its unlikely that being in sport mode 100% of the time has any affect on shock lifespan... That said... Its a new platform so only time can tell for sure.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag

OP
OP

samaximuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat
Country flag
Doh!!

Back to the OP's concern... dude life is too short. Drive it the way it makes you happiest.
True that man, I hear ya... I could the difference between both modes, being my first Si and with no Vtec. Which bring me to ask, do any of you with previous Si models miss the vtec?

Blacklude4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Prelude VTEC, 1990 Civic EX hatch, 2018 civic Si coupe
Country flag
True that man, I hear ya... I could the difference between both modes, being my first Si and with no Vtec. Which bring me to ask, do any of you with previous Si models miss the vtec?

I still drive my 4th gen Vtec Prelude as my commuter. As much as I love driving the car, I always find myself feeling like it is running a cylinder short...it just doesn't compare to the low end torque/acceleration the Si provides.

OP
OP

samaximuss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Passat
Country flag
Coming from a 2013 Si I think the huge increase in torque and having that full torque available early in the rev range(and across a wide band) makes the car more fun to drive than VTEC ever did.
I hear ya but I never had the chance to drive a previous gen, I remember watching old 8th gen vids on YouTube and it looked like hittin vtec in those was hella fun... I’m happy though with the turbo of course :)

TheRealWizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe / 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Country flag
Or buy Honda care for 1k and drive it for 9 year like you stole it.
Your warranty wont cover suspension if it wears out. It is considered a wear item so you will have to replace it.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
Your warranty wont cover suspension if it wears out. It is considered a wear item so you will have to replace it.
That is not correct. Shock absorbers are a covered item. Honda Care is "exclusionary coverage" which means that if it's not specifically listed as excluded then it's covered. The suspension system is not specifically excluded.

https://www.saccuccihondacare.com/Honda_Care_Contract.pdf

https://www.saccuccihondacare.com/coverage.php

https://www.curryhondacare.com/coverage.cfm

Last edited:

kritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17Civic SI sedan
The sound my 8th and 9th Si's made are the only thing I miss. The 10th is better in every other way IMO.

TheRealWizzy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si Coupe / 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix
Country flag