Sportcontact 6 repair

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic hatchback sport touring
Country flag
Spoke with 2 dealers and they said they won’t plug my tire that has a nail in the middle of the tread area. Both said they legally aren’t allowed to and that I need to buy a new tire... is this true?
Sponsored

tinyman392

First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Civic Type R (RR)
Country flag
Spoke with 2 dealers and they said they won’t plug my tire that has a nail in the middle of the tread area. Both said they legally aren’t allowed to and that I need to buy a new tire... is this true?
Most of the time it’s possible to repair a tire that’s been punctured in the middle of the tread are and away from the shoulders and tire wall. I feel like two exceptions exist, if the puncture is too large so the patch can’t seal it entirely or if the tire is too worn (too little tread left). Most of the time if a shop feels like they’d take too much liability/risk for patching a tire they won’t do it either. You could also have an independent tire shop look and see if they could patch it. It’s also possible that the dealership doesn’t have the tools required to dismount the tire so they can’t even check if it’s repairable.

wewong

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE
Country flag
I've had a tire shop patched my leaky tire on the OEM tire last year. Haven't had a leak since. I would suggest going to a reputable tire shop for them to take a look (make sure they have the right equipment to mount a 30 profile tire, without scratching the rim).

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
America’s Tire (SoCal) will plug it for free for non-sidewall damage.

OP
OP

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
America’s Tire (SoCal) will plug it for free for non-sidewall damage.
Thanks! I had no idea they offered that service for free. There’s one down the street from me too:thumbsup:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SL0, FK8R, GR3
Country flag
No wonder that this thread exists. I'll go with a different UHP/brand next time. I'm finished with Conti 6.

Not sure if that's the reason but the close outer part of the Conti 6 doesn't leave a nail or a screw any space at all, so it HAS TO drive in the tyre. 3 defects within 10k miles, a personal record.

remc86007

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type R
Country flag
Yeah, I didn't previously think that one tire would be more prone to nails than another...but the Contis have convinced me. 3 nails in 12,000 miles. The Michelins on my wife's HRV have 75,000 miles driving the same roads with no nails.

I found a local performance shop that has the right equipment to deal with low profile tires and I have let them handle all tire stuff with my CTR. Two of the nails they were able to plug and have held air over thousands of miles. One of the nails was near the sidewall and the mechanic warned me that it probably wouldn't hold...he was right; it started leaking within 100 miles.

ez12a

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 CW Type R
Country flag
If you take it to Americas tire or Discount tire, take good pics of your wheels before you hand them the keys. The one near me scratched the wheel doing the repair on the outside edge near the bead and they paid to have my wheel touched up.

But yes, they will repair a tire on the Type R.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Did they even look at the tire? Sounds like they just want to sell you a tire(s).

Agree with others. As long as the nail isn't on the shoulder or the tread isn't below spec or the whole excessively large, it should be repairable. Yes, find a shop equipped to deal with the wheels (better to pay for the repair than to bang up a wheel and have to work through the shop to get it fixed).

OP
OP

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
If you take it to Americas tire or Discount tire, take good pics of your wheels before you hand them the keys. The one near me scratched the wheel doing the repair on the outside edge near the bead and they paid to have my wheel touched up.

But yes, they will repair a tire on the Type R.
Got it fixed at America’s tire and luckily no damage was done. I totally forgot to tell them to line up the cap with the valve stem though:doh:

OP
OP

sourpatchkvnt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Did they even look at the tire? Sounds like they just want to sell you a tire(s).

Agree with others. As long as the nail isn't on the shoulder or the tread isn't below spec or the whole excessively large, it should be repairable. Yes, find a shop equipped to deal with the wheels (better to pay for the repair than to bang up a wheel and have to work through the shop to get it fixed).
First didn’t even bother looking & the second one did . Service rep said it’s repairable but then when their tech took a look he said repair is not possible on these tires because they are run flats. To my knowledge they aren’t so I called him out on it and he just said well we still can’t do it legally.

TypeSiR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1.5T Civic, Fit, MX-5, CTR
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
First didn’t even bother looking & the second one did . Service rep said it’s repairable but then when their tech took a look he said repair is not possible on these tires because they are run flats. To my knowledge they aren’t so I called him out on it and he just said well we still can’t do it legally.
It's all about greed. Should I bill the customer $10 to repair the flat or $350 to replace it? Easy choice. Profit! Never visit those two dealers again and tell everyone you know to do the same. I foresee the physical car dealership model to eventually give way to online ordering model. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

BryanCO

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SGP CTR, 2007 GT3, 1993 Miata
Country flag
Glad it worked out. I buy near all my tires at Discount. Good company. If its the wife MDX or similar, I don’t worry about it. If it’s a car like the CTR, I make sure their ‘best’ tech is doing the work.

18TypeR-13922

First Name
ADM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CBP CTR, 2022 MDX A-Spec, 2015 Accord EXL
Country flag
Just found a screw in the middle of my tire, took the wheel off and went to Goodyear and asked the tech if he could repair my tire without scratching the rim (19" OZ w/ Michelin Pilot Sports). He admitted his machine probably couldn't handle my wheel and he couldn't guarantee that there would be no wheel damage. He suggested the dealer or Tires Plus which is across from the dealer. I went to Tires Plus, they asked what kind of car did this come of off (?) and they fixed it and balanced the wheel with no issue for $20. Now I have to see if Tire Rack will honor my claim on the tire protection.
Sponsored