Sport vs "base" 1.5T?

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Has anyone found out what exactly the difference is?
I see people saying that the two have different engine codes. Based on that it seems that the difference should be more than just a bit of ECU tuning as that would have no reason to be a different engine part number.
Sponsored

mrobison12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic WOP Hatch 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I believe the only mechanical difference is the exhaust and the necessary modifications to accommodate it. That's where the slight power boost comes from.

Otherwise it's all aesthetics/trim differences.

OP
OP

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
I believe the only mechanical difference is the exhaust and the necessary modifications to accommodate it. That's where the slight power boost comes from.

Otherwise it's all aesthetics/trim differences.
Unless the header is different I'm not sure why that would still be a different engine code.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Shouldn't be any difference motor wise besides the exhaust. Other than that it's wheels and a lot of body stuff.

derbo904

Keeper of Blinky lights
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 FK7 | 11 E90M3
Country flag

xcoreflyup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Hatchback Sport (Traded in), 2022 BIG PRIUS
Country flag
and a pair of paddle shifters~~~

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
Springs (and maybe sways) are also different. I think the Sport trims ride a half-inch lower, and am pretty sure the springs are stiffer, although I haven't seen any spring rate numbers yet.

OP
OP

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the engine only. I saw it mentioned they are different engine codes, but if they are identical engines there would be no need for 2 codes.

JrHonda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback Sport CVT
Vehicle Showcase
Well for the hatch I know the suspension is tuned differently paddles exhaust and the steering ratio also make it different those were a big reason why I chose the hatch sport . Along with the wheels I believe helped even more power shouldn't be a difference am wondering if the tune for the hatch is differently cause the car drives amazingly on 93 they should dyno all three to see if there are any differences in dyno sheets and the way they make power. Cause when I drove a civic EX-l coupe I did not get the excitement of when I drove the hatch. Also wondering why hatch has N instead of L.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the engine only. I saw it mentioned they are different engine codes, but if they are identical engines there would be no need for 2 codes.
Probably just because the Sport engines are done in the UK and sold in different markets. Honda has always had some varying engine codes for different markets despite engines being virtually identical or even complete different. An example of this is the K20A3 and the K20A4/K20A6...virtually identical motors but different engine codes in different markets in different cars. Maybe has something to do with the type of fuel that the engine is able to utilize? Who knows...

Honda has also done some wonky stuff, for instance the K20A is a code that's used for 2 completely different engines, one that has ~210-220hp and another that has 160hp (in fact I think it's the same engine as the K20A3 in the base RSX).

Wouldn't put a whole lot of thought into figuring out the nuances (if any).

Last edited:

OP
OP

zx2down

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Altima 2.5 S
Probably just because the Sport engines are done in the UK and sold in different markets. Honda has always had some varying engine codes for different markets despite engines being virtually identical or even complete different. An example of this is the K20A3 and the K20A4/K20A6...virtually identical motors but different engine codes in different markets in different cars. Maybe has something to do with the type of fuel that the engine is able to utilize? Who knows...

Honda has also done some wonky stuff, for instance the K20A is a code that's used for 2 completely different engines, one that has ~210-220hp and another that has 160hp (in fact I think it's the same engine as the K20A3 in the base RSX).

Wouldn't put a whole lot of thought into figuring out the nuances (if any).
Thanks for the lesson, seem to me they would do that. Would suck wanting to buy a 220Hp engine and ending up with a 160Hp version.

thaseint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 VW GTI SE
Country flag
Thanks for the lesson, seem to me they would do that. Would suck wanting to buy a 220Hp engine and ending up with a 160Hp version.
Yeah I remember when I was contemplating an engine swap in my EP3, looking at K20A engines.

It's pretty clear which engines are from the Type R (red valve cover, aluminum IM and price); but I could see if someone didn't know a whole lot could get bamboozled by the lower price on the lesser K20A (JDM base RSX).

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

ikbenben

Belgium spec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic 1.5T Sport Plus HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Mine isn't listed. I have a L15BA (182hp)

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I'm guessing it is still incomplete as it is wikipedia.
Sponsored