Sport Touring Owners - awful when taking off?

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
Hi all, I just test drove a Sport Touring Hatch for the first time and want owners thoughts on the Power on takeoff.. or more accurately the NO power on takeoff.

I come from years of non cvt driving and i literally put my foot down to drive .. wait a count of 2, then slowly start rolling forward. I'm afraid I'm going to kill myself or someone else taking off into traffic.

Am I just driving this wrong when taking off from a start? Also I'm afraid passing cars at speed may end up the same.. put throttle down.. count to three then begin reacting..
I'm a 16 Sedan owner...... My car flys when I floor it... Not afraid to floor it at all. Drive another 1, sounds 2 me like there's something wrong with the 1 u drove..... Imo
Sponsored

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
You have an interesting definition of "flies". There's nothing wrong with my turbo but under no circumstance does a car with 170 hp "fly". Our cars have a bit of pep, but let's not make it something it isn't.

lunarsilver

Lunarsilver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 civic ext
Country flag
You have an interesting definition of "flies". There's nothing wrong with my turbo but under no circumstance does a car with 170 hp "fly". Our cars have a bit of pep, but let's not make it something it isn't.
wow,cant speak how i feel.......awwwww, politically correct crap.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
wow,cant speak how i feel.......awwwww, politically correct crap.
Say it. If it comes from the same fantasyworld where a stock Civic with a CVT is fast, then I'm sure I can handle it.

Acey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Coupe Si HFP
Country flag
I mean, I'm not one to come in here and shit on the car. I love mine, but in stock form there's a bit of initial lag, worse so with the CVT. A lot of it is remedied with a tune which I will do eventually. Civic has never been the fastest car, but that's not why people buy them and not why it's been the best selling car in my neck of the woods for a billion years in a row.

BarracksSi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Sport Touring Hatch; '17 CR-V EX. Formerly '02 EP3.
Country flag
I love mine, but in stock form there's a bit of initial lag, worse so with the CVT.
I notice it, too. I'm coming from an EP3 Civic -- which ended production just before Honda went to throttle-by-wire -- and it had a more immediate reaction to throttle input than my FK despite being down by twenty horses.

The CVT isn't as slushy as my wife's Camry automatic was, but it still feels like it sometimes can't quite decide whether to fully engage or just coast, even in S mode. If I keep my foot in it more often, it helps, but it's something I've got to get used to.

Civic has never been the fastest car, but that's not why people buy them and not why it's been the best selling car in my neck of the woods for a billion years in a row.
Same around here. I see a coupe or sedan almost every single day, and my commute takes ten minutes.

OP
OP

Biggeek55

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CW Type R, 2019 Accord 2.0 Touring, 2017 Hatch Sport Touring, 2015 Civic SI
Country flag
Thanks for the opinions all. They kept me from writing itoff after the initial drove.

I want back and drove a different one and while it wasn't what I personally would consider 'quick' it was night and day better than the original one. Maybe it was the eco button..?

I think a tune is still in order but I put my order in and my PMM one should show up Friday.

Nexus90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 C300, 14 corolla, 17 civic
Country flag
U won't regret it bro if your in the market for a small but useful car can't go wrong with a civic, or a corolla if we're being honest. However the civic is definitely gonna have enough pep to entertain a lot longer. Once u get the tune u'll like it even more.

10gCiViC

British Columbia Guru
First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si / 1972 Gran Torino 351CJ-4V
Unfortunately the Sport Touring only comes with CVT and it did take some time for me to get used to it but I don't mind it now.
Not in Canada :)

Looking at getting an orchid white pearl sport touring 6speed within the month

d1zguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19' Mustang GT Premium
Country flag
Thanks for the opinions all. They kept me from writing itoff after the initial drove.

I want back and drove a different one and while it wasn't what I personally would consider 'quick' it was night and day better than the original one. Maybe it was the eco button..?

I think a tune is still in order but I put my order in and my PMM one should show up Friday.
If you can I would ask to drive a tuned one. I would have never personally considered the platform if it weren't for companies like K-Tuner, Hondata, and Vit; Their fantastic bang for buck tunes really make the platform shine and worthwhile to me. Otherwise, I would be in a S4, RS4, or M3,4,5 instead. I'm too poor still to daily drive a 911 Turbo S or GT3... :(

And if you care to know why ALL civic CVT's are slow of the line is because effectively they are all starting in 2.5nd gear. The tallest gear the CVT is capable of producing is 2.79; whereas, a conventional automatic and manual car offers a 3.25 or higher "1st gear". There is absolutely no way to change this other than literally change the drum ratios and programing afterwards.

A manual EX (2.0L NA civic) will walk away from a CVT EXT off the line if at least up to 40 mph (Once the gear ratio advantage goes to the CVT car) So if you're someone that likes off the line performance don't buy a CVT or if you do make sure it has a really tall/high gear for take offs similar or more aggressive than 3.25. That said once you are at speeds where the 2.74 and shorter gears come into effect. i.e cruising, highway driving (especially in S mode) it will be faster than a manual car as it can infinitely keep the tq at peak while speeding up and work it's way up the powerband at speeds where HP plays more of a factor in acceleration over tq.

The best of both worlds would be a small AC Induction motor on the driven wheels transmission drum to assist in take off's as a "fake 1st gear" then CVT for everything else.

Last edited:

Jamroxorz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Hatch Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I’m in Canada as well, I’ve had my Sport Touring 6MT since August. Hondata was one of the first mods I did, +9 Tune night and day with it, I have to to be gentle getting going with it cause I get wheel spin on the stock and my current winter tires.
Sponsored