Sport Mode

jgcivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Hatchback 2018 Sport
Country flag
Does sport mode get worse gas mileage than normal drive? And if yes, then by how much?
Sponsored

NazTehRpR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Civic Sedan Sport, '08 GSXR 600
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Normally will with it being higher in the rpmā€™s. Believe you can use Eco mode along with it. But donā€™t how ā€œgoodā€ they play together. Basically if that green indicator is white when your driving, your mpg is being affected. I stopped driving in S mode and seen heavy gains in my mpg. I only use when I really gotta pass some idiot driving way under the speed limit.

hatchboost

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 6 speed
Country flag
Either way I think my mpg sucks. On a pure highway trip to LA I averaged 43mpg however normal city and highway Iā€™m at 31mpg. And thats with slow highway driving >_> I think the city rating must be exaggerated. Iā€™m. Barely on the turbo and always on eco mode and I havenā€™t noticed any big differences in mpg. When I first got the vehicle in 2017 I was averaging 29mpg and thatā€™s because I was boost happy lmao. But I think as a 6 speed hatch owner, Iā€™ve been getting lower mpgs than rated. I need to drive 65 and never hit Boost and is still barely get close to what they rated.

silverrascal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX hatch
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So I've had a '16 EX-T sedan and now a '19 EX hatch. From my experience, ECO mode is only really effective for long distance driving...

But to OP's post: yeah, you'll definitely see a drop in MPGs if you drive in S gear all the time. I notice about a 2-3 mpg drop. The ECO mode mutes throttle response so it's smoother on acceleration. ECO also economizes the HVAC system so it's not as much a drain. I actually use ECO in wet weather so I can minimize wheel spin when taking off from a stop light...

I look at the Civic's system this way:

ECO = comfortable driving mode
ECO + Drive = inclement weather driving mode
Drive = Normal driving mode
S gear = Sporty driving mode (occasionally use when feeling Fast and Furious)
S + ECO = sporty but muted throttle response. (rarely ever use this combo)

justasimpleman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 PWP FC1 Si
Country flag
Iā€™ve actually heard eco can give you slightly less mpg. Iā€™ve read it a few times on here, and my dad also told me the same thing with his accord. He actually writes down his mileage, and checks it manually, heā€™s done that for years...

NonyaBisness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic EX-T
Country flag
Either way I think my mpg sucks. On a pure highway trip to LA I averaged 43mpg however normal city and highway Iā€™m at 31mpg. And thats with slow highway driving >_> I think the city rating must be exaggerated. Iā€™m. Barely on the turbo and always on eco mode and I havenā€™t noticed any big differences in mpg. When I first got the vehicle in 2017 I was averaging 29mpg and thatā€™s because I was boost happy lmao. But I think as a 6 speed hatch owner, Iā€™ve been getting lower mpgs than rated. I need to drive 65 and never hit Boost and is still barely get close to what they rated.
you think 43 Hwy is BAD? I have yet to break 40 MPG on any tank, 31 sounds about right for the winter mix fuel (which we got off of about a month or so ago now), remember using A/C also hurts MPG.

Iā€™ve actually heard eco can give you slightly less mpg. Iā€™ve read it a few times on here, and my dad also told me the same thing with his accord. He actually writes down his mileage, and checks it manually, heā€™s done that for years...
nah, it just mutes the throttle response, only way you get worse MPG is if you overcompensate for the eco mode slow throttle by revving higher longer.

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
I get my best MPG using normal Drive, no Eco.

and yeah driving in S gear constantly will get worse MPG. The engine will be revving higher at all speeds, and engine braking instead of coasting when off throttle.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Does sport mode get worse gas mileage than normal drive? And if yes, then by how much?
Sport/eco/whatever modes have no direct effect on fuel economy at all; they only encourage different styles of driving. You can get poor fuel economy in eco and good fuel economy in sport. None of the modes inherently causes the engine to use more or less fuel.

and yeah driving in S gear constantly will get worse MPG. The engine will be revving higher at all speeds, and engine braking instead of coasting when off throttle.
That's actually the more fuel efficient option :D

hatchboost

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fk7 6 speed
Country flag
Sorry I meant I felt the 31 mpg could have been better. Iā€™m averaging 29 - 31 and I feel I drive 65% highway. Felt Iā€™d be getting 33-34ish but maybe I drive a little fast. I donā€™t really hit boost too often I feel, Always driven in eco mode too. Maybe once a week Iā€™ll letā€™s the turbo spool hehe. When I first had the car I believe my lowest was 27 mpg. But yeah driving 70 on cruise control 70-80% highway 40+ mpg is possible.

Gruber

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Sport Touring; 2009 Honda CR-V EX-L
Country flag
Sport/eco/whatever modes have no direct effect on fuel economy at all; they only encourage different styles of driving. You can get poor fuel economy in eco and good fuel economy in sport. None of the modes inherently causes the engine to use more or less fuel.

That's actually the more fuel efficient option :D
No, in fact, driving at higher rpm does inherently and automatically cause the engine to use more fuel. And engine braking is braking. It converts usable energy that could move the car to waste heat. Unless you have a hybrid or electric car, where braking is partially converted to a battery charge.

coopermidnight

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No, in fact, driving at higher rpm does inherently and automatically cause the engine to use more fuel.
Please don't put words in my mouth :) Driving at higher rpm does inherently use more fuel, but the mode itself doesn't change how much fuel gets burned. 5k RPM is 5k RPM whether you're in eco or sport. I guess this is my fault for taking the question at face value.

And engine braking is braking. It converts usable energy that could move the car to waste heat. Unless you have a hybrid or electric car, where braking is partially converted to a battery charge.
Another thing I wasn't arguing against. The reason I bolded the engine braking part in the quote was it went against that user's point (i.e. engine braking is actually great for your fuel economy)

The Vyzitor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Sport FK7, 2010 VW GTI MKVI
Country flag
Sorry I meant I felt the 31 mpg could have been better. Iā€™m averaging 29 - 31 and I feel I drive 65% highway. Felt Iā€™d be getting 33-34ish but maybe I drive a little fast. I donā€™t really hit boost too often I feel, Always driven in eco mode too. Maybe once a week Iā€™ll letā€™s the turbo spool hehe. When I first had the car I believe my lowest was 27 mpg. But yeah driving 70 on cruise control 70-80% highway 40+ mpg is possible.
Yeah that is rough. I average 31 to 33mpg, and most months my driving is 100% street 0% highway. If I get a decent highway trip in, maybe 30 to 40 miles or so, itā€™s closer to 36mpg on that tank.
Sponsored