First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI Coupe (WOP)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Every time I've traded (alot) they've driven the car. I would never expect anyone or a dealer to buy a car they haven't driven. That's just weird to me.
Sponsored

boosted180sx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR, 2016 ILX
Country flag
Every time I've traded (alot) they've driven the car. I would never expect anyone or a dealer to buy a car they haven't driven. That's just weird to me.
wow really? I've done a few trade in before (granted they were only a few years old when I did so it still looked new) and never drove the car. Just checked off where the scatches/dents are, mileage, and options.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
yup every time. but in all honesty, they did exactly what I would expect them to do. If they chose not to drive it but still wanted to buy I sure wouldn't stop them but I would be taken back by it. Cars are fickle things as are people, each has its own story and history and imperfections. I've seen cars visually awesome but drive terribly. and vice versa.

But going by this post I'm the odd one out. Seems like dealers in other areas are more trusting, and that's just fine.

zroger73

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 MX-5 Miata GT-S, 2021 Ridgeline RTL-E
Country flag
I trade vehicles on average about once every year or two. In the "old days", dealers used to "drive" my trade although they never took it out on the road - they just drove it around back to "hide" it to keep me on the lot longer which is one of the stall techniques dealers use. In case you get mad and decide to walk, you'll have to wait on them to "return with your trade" or "find the keys they misplaced". Yes, this still happens.

Now, dealers don't even drive my trades. In fact, when I traded a 2014 Ridgeline for a 2016 CR-V last year at a dealer 2.5 hours away that I'd never been to before, all the paperwork was ready when I arrived since everything was previously negotiated over the phone and through email. I signed the papers and handed them the check without anyone even looking inside the Ridgeline. The only time they saw it while I was there was when I pulled into the parking lot and they saw it through the windows. They didn't open the hood, they didn't drive it, they didn't even walk around it. I was already headed back home before they ever touched the trade. All they wanted was the VIN and mileage.

Regarding the black box / tune / warranty issue, I'm anxious to learn more about Honda's statement in both the owner's manual and the white paper where they mention that the vehicle may wirelessly upload powertrain data. Assuming this is the case, the vehicle appears to be capable of telling Honda you've made modifications even if you revert to the factory build. I'm interested to know the specific method by which this wireless communication method works. The vehicle can connect to the internet via Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, or USB. So, if you've ever connected the vehicle to a device using any of those methods, it seems plausible that Honda may know more about your vehicle than you realize. The 2018 Odyssey takes this a step further by adding built-in 4G wireless, so it can talk to Honda even if you don't use Wi-Fi or have a smartphone. Various GM models have been doing this for several years. In the coming years, we'll see this spread to other Honda/Acura models.

jpuhl777

First Name
Jp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I miss cars being just cars. and not devices to collect information (openly or spy-like). sigh.

if it needs wi-fi to transmit you might be able to put tracers or packet sniffers on traffic going through the router. Might tell you where its going and then if you really wanted if your router can do this, block traffic to that domain or IP. but I think you'd have to do this for each wi-fi you join. But if it can communicate on its own you're pretty limited on preventing it.

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
According to this white paper published by Honda, the Display Audio system receives and records data from the ECU and is capable of transmitting that data wirelessly to Honda. :ninja:

https://www.hondarandd.jp/point.php?pid=1161&lang=en

This supports the following statement made in the owner's manual:

"Service Diagnostic Recorders
This vehicle is equipped with service-related devices that record information about powertrain performance. The data can be used to verify emissions law requirements and/or help technicians diagnose and solve service problems. It may also be combined with data from other sources for research purposes, but it remains confidential. Some diagnostic and maintenance information is uploaded to Honda upon vehicle start up." - 2017 Civic Owner's Manual

lol. Reminds me of someone I know blow up the M4 engine and BMW said the car was doing 500rpm over redline for 5mins. No warranty for him!

erbee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Nissan Altima, 2004 BMW M3
Country flag
New cars are smart. In case of accident they will call 911 and give them location automatically . The car will let your local dealership knows when you are about time for maintenance so they'll call. If you call their roadside assistance they can even unlock your car for you remotely. It's kind of crazy really.

andyboyd102

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Si
Country flag
According to this white paper published by Honda, the Display Audio system receives and records data from the ECU and is capable of transmitting that data wirelessly to Honda. :ninja:

https://www.hondarandd.jp/point.php?pid=1161&lang=en

This supports the following statement made in the owner's manual:

"Service Diagnostic Recorders
This vehicle is equipped with service-related devices that record information about powertrain performance. The data can be used to verify emissions law requirements and/or help technicians diagnose and solve service problems. It may also be combined with data from other sources for research purposes, but it remains confidential. Some diagnostic and maintenance information is uploaded to Honda upon vehicle start up." - 2017 Civic Owner's Manual
I think the data in question is like OnStar, it's used to provide info for your Honda link app

Rikdrt1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma, Honda Civic
Country flag
I think I will take the $ and just get a downpipe or some exhaust work.. that may give me a modest hp gains without any flash... I really wanted a flash, but I want to be driving my new car years into the future trouble free. idk...

TheBatman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 CTR Boost Blue, '21 Mazda 3
Country flag
I trade vehicles on average about once every year or two. In the "old days", dealers used to "drive" my trade although they never took it out on the road - they just drove it around back to "hide" it to keep me on the lot longer which is one of the stall techniques dealers use. In case you get mad and decide to walk, you'll have to wait on them to "return with your trade" or "find the keys they misplaced". Yes, this still happens.

Now, dealers don't even drive my trades. In fact, when I traded a 2014 Ridgeline for a 2016 CR-V last year at a dealer 2.5 hours away that I'd never been to before, all the paperwork was ready when I arrived since everything was previously negotiated over the phone and through email. I signed the papers and handed them the check without anyone even looking inside the Ridgeline. The only time they saw it while I was there was when I pulled into the parking lot and they saw it through the windows. They didn't open the hood, they didn't drive it, they didn't even walk around it. I was already headed back home before they ever touched the trade. All they wanted was the VIN and mileage.
The dealer didn't drive my '15 Si....but they did walk around it with a paint meter. The used car manager comes back in and says 'So...what happened to the passenger side rear quarter/door??' Someone had backed into me as I was driving past parked cars at a convenience store 2 mo ago...crinkled a bit of metal, but I had it restored (and they did a damn fine job). They dropped $1k off the trade value they were going to give me...and...they most likely won't mention it to the new buyer (and there isn't a Carfax report on it).

jakabony

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si, 2019 Honda CR-V EX-L, 2017 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I honestly have no idea. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can chime in. I don't care either way but am curious lol.
Honda is pretty good at only voiding a portion of the warranty, if they find something not OEM. But with the Hondata ECU tuner, you can always set your car back to the factory tune at any point.

Mugenbound

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dark Metallic Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Hi Guys,

I am coming from the 240sx forums and have had a deep hatred for Honda while I owned a Nissan 240sx s13-14 models. Now that you know my background, I can share some modification experience with you guys.

I have found that running a completely different ECU would be the best option for modification instead of re-flash or tuning the OEM one. I used the AEM V-2 standalone ECU to run my 350hp SR20DET motor running on e-85.

Although i have not done the modification on any cars newer than 1998, I still think you can still accomplish your goals for more power by going with an AEM EMS-4 Standalone ECU for the Honda Civic SI Gen X.

The AEM EMS-4 should be able to run the vehicle without sending the data directly to the infotainment system. How? Well, with some know-how, you should be able to bypass or completely disable all the wiring that feeds directly into hard-drive that is built into the infotainment system. Obviously, read the schematics and run whatever you desire. When it comes time for trade-in or sell, you can remove all of it and re-connect the OEM ECU and harness. While disconnected, you will most likely render the infotainment system useless. However, you should be able to re-purpose that screen to display the necessary A/C and radio options by rewiring as well.

Just a disclaimer, I am not a certified Honda Tech. Therefore, if a certified Honda Tech could chime in, that would be helpful as my goal is to offer advise on modification rendering your warranty void. IF you dont care about that, my option is definitely valid.

Thanks for the time reading.

dpaglianite

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Type R
Country flag
Man, decisions lol. Little less rev hang with less turbo lag with a flash over normal/sport combined or basic normal and only flashed sport. Which is the best in your opinion. That sounds like a tough choice :( You flash back to stock when servicing even though they could see that if they really wanted to?

I guess I would probably choose the sport mode flash only myself upon thinking about it and keep normal "normal"

Then again, I wanna be tuned by VIT so IDK what the hell I'm doing/saying
This is the boat I find myself in, I don't know anything about this but have seen the videos and would love the extra, but I don't want to destroy my car.... Is this safe for just the time to time boost around town type driving? I will freeway this car 90% of the time
Sponsored