Sport hatch front lip on Si?

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
I don't especially like most of the front lips out there, but I discovered that the Sport/Sport Touring perhaps other hatch trims have a slightly different front lip that extends more past the edges of the bumper than the Si front lip.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? Honda-Civic_Hatchback-2017-1600-66

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? Honda-Civic_Si_Sedan-2017-1600-2c

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? Honda-Civic_Hatchback-2017-1600-95
Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? Honda-Civic_Si_Sedan-2020-1600-14

Also, the Si grille mesh & lip (part # 71102-TBF-A00) are one piece together like this...

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? si li

While the hatch is two separate pieces of the lip (71102-TGG-A50) & mesh (71107-TGG-A50).

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? bdba9eb574bd7faf81139905cc6b637c

So I got to thinking that it'd be a small subtle little thing to take the 2-piece hatch grille mesh & lower lip, paint the lip and leave the grille mesh black. Anybody have any idea if the mounting points will work? Because the bumpers for the hatch and Si look very similar but they're different part #s (04711-TGG-A00ZZ for hatch & 04711-TBF-A01ZZ for Si). So I don't want to assume that these things will interchange.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I don't especially like most of the front lips out there, but I discovered that the Sport/Sport Touring perhaps other hatch trims have a slightly different front lip that extends more past the edges of the bumper than the Si front lip.

Honda-Civic_Hatchback-2017-1600-66.jpg

Honda-Civic_Si_Sedan-2017-1600-2c.jpg

Honda-Civic_Hatchback-2017-1600-95.jpg
Honda-Civic_Si_Sedan-2020-1600-14.jpg

Also, the Si grille mesh & lip (part # 71102-TBF-A00) are one piece together like this...

si lip.jpg

While the hatch is two separate pieces of the lip (71102-TGG-A50) & mesh (71107-TGG-A50).

bdba9eb574bd7faf81139905cc6b637c.png

So I got to thinking that it'd be a small subtle little thing to take the 2-piece hatch grille mesh & lower lip, paint the lip and leave the grille mesh black. Anybody have any idea if the mounting points will work? Because the bumpers for the hatch and Si look very similar but they're different part #s (04711-TGG-A00ZZ for hatch & 04711-TBF-A01ZZ for Si). So I don't want to assume that these things will interchange.
Based on this listing from ABS the lip fits 2dr and 4dr Si as well as 5dr so I think that means the mounting points are the same - https://absdynamics.com/collections...d-type-r-style-front-front-lip-carbon-asscent - buuuuut......

I would look into the Greddy lip or some of the other ones that protrude a bit further. If you haven't seen them in person... The Si and Sport hatch front "lips" are barely different from each other and if you ask me aren't even a lip. They are barely visible most of the time. But this is my opinion and maybe you want minimalist, I'm just offering my two cents!

Here is the Greddy lip for Si: https://www.jmautosports.com/produc...LY13qz4O_NLd9_sLWPbq3AjkerckF4aMaAjjsEALw_wcB

I like the ABSDynamics Type R style lip above all else but I know not everyone likes the little "winglets" on the sides and I assume that's why you want something more reserved. The ABS one fits like a glove though with stock mounting points and you don't have to drill into your bumper or anything.

That being said, I do have a stock hatchback sport lip since you replace the whole thing for the ABSDynamics one, if you still wanted to go through with this... It's in near mint shape as the front lip was one of my first mods.

disgraced.fk8

IG: @break_ya_neck_fk7
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Boost Blue Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oh my god this part is like $400 and I doubt that is free shipping... holy crap. Yeah, PM me if you really want this front lip honestly I bet we can work something out for a lot less overall.

OP
OP
KingOfBrussels

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
Definitely going for minimalism here. I don't like the lips with winglets and the GReddy lip looks all kinds of wrong to me. I just want to create a little more finished appearance at the bottom of the front bumper.

Since the Si lip is one piece with the grille mesh, if I did the hatch lip I'd need to get both the lip and the separate grille mesh. The solution for me could just as easily be to have the Si lip painted, but if I could snag a Sport hatch lip off someone (and possibly buy the matching grille mesh) that's cheaper than buying the very expensive OE piece new.

Not looking to do this immediately but trying to figure out if the 2-piece hatch lip + grille is a direct fit replacement for the 1-piece Si lip + grille.

Also I found Ikon Motorsports sells what they describe as an OE replacement lip for hatch and Si, that from their pics appears to stick out a little more like the hatch, and does not include the grille mesh like the Si piece.

https://ikonmotorsports.com/products/fits-16-20-honda-civic-si-sedan-coupe-oe-front-lip

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? bkp-hc16sp-f.3_wborder-2020.11.4_1024x1024

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? bkp-hc16sp-f.3_wborder-2020.11.4_3_1024x1024

$120 for this is much more palatable than the lowest price I saw for the OE Honda hatch lip (71102-TGG-A50) which was $367. I could add it to the OE Honda hatch grille mesh (71107-TGG-A50) which is $85.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if 71102-TGG-A50 (or the Ikon equivalent) & 71107-TGG-A50 combined into 1 piece will bolt in place of 71102-TBF-A00.

Last edited:

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sedan 1.5T, 2009 Accord Sedan 2.4 LX-P, 2000 Civic Sedan EK4
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Definitely going for minimalism here. I don't like the lips with winglets and the GReddy lip looks all kinds of wrong to me. I just want to create a little more finished appearance at the bottom of the front bumper.

Since the Si lip is one piece with the grille mesh, if I did the hatch lip I'd need to get both the lip and the separate grille mesh. The solution for me could just as easily be to have the Si lip painted, but if I could snag a Sport hatch lip off someone (and possibly buy the matching grille mesh) that's cheaper than buying the very expensive OE piece new.

Not looking to do this immediately but trying to figure out if the 2-piece hatch lip + grille is a direct fit replacement for the 1-piece Si lip + grille.

Also I found Ikon Motorsports sells what they describe as an OE replacement lip for hatch and Si, that from their pics appears to stick out a little more like the hatch, and does not include the grille mesh like the Si piece.

https://ikonmotorsports.com/products/fits-16-20-honda-civic-si-sedan-coupe-oe-front-lip

bkp-hc16sp-f.3_wborder-2020.11.4_1024x1024.png

bkp-hc16sp-f.3_wborder-2020.11.4_3_1024x1024.png

$120 for this is much more palatable than the lowest price I saw for the OE Honda hatch lip (71102-TGG-A50) which was $367. I could add it to the OE Honda hatch grille mesh (71107-TGG-A50) which is $85.

Basically I'm trying to figure out if 71102-TGG-A50 (or the Ikon equivalent) & 71107-TGG-A50 combined into 1 piece will bolt in place of 71102-TBF-A00.
Theoretically the ikon one should fit the oem upper mesh, but since aftermarket parts are made from inferior PP materials so we don't know how long it will last. These aftermarket body parts are usually made in poor PP materials that tend to crack over short period of time. The oem one is expensive because it comes pre painted in gloss black, so you should factor in the labor for painting in gloss black if you are buying the ikon's lower sport style lip.

You ever solve this issue? Because I was considering putting a JDM lip on my SI but im wondering if the mesh bottom grill on a sports hatch is plug and play on an Si
Everything on the Sport front bumper cover is PNP on Si. The bumper cover is the same, but the only difference is the glossy black painted lower lip and the center mesh grill on the Sport. The SI comes with a merged part.

Sport
Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? 1613953657115

Si
Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? 1613953693695

iShift_6

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
I can confirm that the OEM Sport front lip does fit, although as stated above, you do need both parts in order to make it work on the Si. Please see attached image for reference.

One item I would note towards the Ikon lip, besides its price point, is its finish. If it is truly a matte textured finished, it would match the rear trim better. The gloss black of the sport looks great but seems out of place with the other matte components on the Si. I have been struggling to find a good side extension in gloss black, and a way to tie the rear trim in with it(on the coupe).
As this conversation pertains to a Sedan, might be mute points to the OP.

Hope the photo helps.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? sport_li

IDriveanSi

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 civic si
Country flag
I can confirm that the OEM Sport front lip does fit, although as stated above, you do need both parts in order to make it work on the Si. Please see attached image for reference.

One item I would note towards the Ikon lip, besides its price point, is its finish. If it is truly a matte textured finished, it would match the rear trim better. The gloss black of the sport looks great but seems out of place with the other matte components on the Si. I have been struggling to find a good side extension in gloss black, and a way to tie the rear trim in with it(on the coupe).

Hope the photo helps.

sport_lip.jpg
Thanks for the clarification

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Hope the photo helps.

sport_lip.jpg
I feel you, and I'll have the lower diffuser painted gloss black to match as well even for sedan.

Since the rear diffuser is a separate piece, you can have it painted gloss black to tie up everything like the Sport. For the Coupe, I'll paint everything on the diffuser and rear garnishes in gloss black and leave those honey comb areas in textured plastic.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? 1614042357116

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? 1614042367363

iShift_6

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Si Coupe WOP
Country flag
@hikaru I have thought about painting the rear diffuser several times now, but the integrated honeycomb on it always causes me to pause. As if it is painted then the side sections would not match, unless everything is painted. As of now I am at either paint the diffuser's lower portion, no honeycomb. Or swap out to the Sport Coupe rear diffuser, which I kind of like better with my AWE exhaust, and making custom sides for the back, and painting those gloss black. Sedan owners don't have any of these issues.....?

hikaru

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
@hikaru I have thought about painting the rear diffuser several times now, but the integrated honeycomb on it always causes me to pause. As if it is painted then the side sections would not match, unless everything is painted. As of now I am at either paint the diffuser's lower portion, no honeycomb. Or swap out to the Sport Coupe rear diffuser, which I kind of like better with my AWE exhaust, and making custom sides for the back, and painting those gloss black. Sedan owners don't have any of these issues.....?
What I was saying is leave the honey comb unpainted, and only have those yellow highlighted areas, namely the entire diffuser and reflector shrouds, painted in gloss black. This should tie up everything.

Honda Civic 10th gen Sport hatch front lip on Si? 1614124060365

CWIIIFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatchback 6MT
Country flag

si lip.jpg

Is it just me or does the lower grille honeycomb on the Si have more surface area for air to pass through? Seems like the honeycomb on the Sport hatchback has less area for air to travel than the Si based on pics. If you look closely, the hatchback grille is solid at the very top allowing zero air to pass whereas the Si is notched out and open. I plan on swapping over to the Si grille, lower lip and adding a black HFP lip to it.

OP
OP
KingOfBrussels

KingOfBrussels

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Si sedan
Country flag
Is it just me or does the lower grille honeycomb on the Si have more surface area for air to pass through? Seems like the honeycomb on the Sport hatchback has less area for air to travel than the Si based on pics. If you look closely, the hatchback grille is solid at the very top allowing zero air to pass whereas the Si is notched out and open. I plan on swapping over to the Si grille, lower lip and adding a black HFP lip to it.
Now that you mention it, yep, totally see the blocked off parts of the Sport grille.

I've kinda backtracked on this idea of mine to swap to the Sport lip anyway. It's slightly lippier than the Si lip, but I'm not sure it adds much of anything to the overall look.

I've yet to find any kind of lip that really interests me. Personally I Ion't like how the HFP lip is just kinda tacked on below the existing lip and doesn't cover the full width of the bumper. All the Type-R style lips with winglets on the side are too extra for me.

CWIIIFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Now that you mention it, yep, totally see the blocked off parts of the Sport grille.

I've kinda backtracked on this idea of mine to swap to the Sport lip anyway. It's slightly lippier than the Si lip, but I'm not sure it adds much of anything to the overall look.

I've yet to find any kind of lip that really interests me. Personally I Ion't like how the HFP lip is just kinda tacked on below the existing lip and doesn't cover the full width of the bumper. All the Type-R style lips with winglets on the side are too extra for me.
Agreed. I swapped over to the Si grille and lip a few days ago. I decided against the HFP lip and ordered a BaysonR TR style. The winglets are there, but not too big on this one. Seems like they flow well with our Sport side skirts. Hopefully I'll like it.

https://baysonr.com/collections/hon...da-civic-si-tr-style-front-lip-polyurethane-1

CWIIIFK7

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag

si lip.jpg

Thanks again for all the detailed info and diagrams/part numbers. Helped me out a ton.