Sport Audio Upgrade

Dfine06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport
Country flag
I have the civic sport and the radio is absolutely horrible.

I am sure people have done replacements I was just wondering what is the easiest,fastest and cheapest in your opinion. Would buying tweeters from Honda (sport touring) be a quick upgrade? Or just go to an audio install shop and have them take care of it all?
Sponsored

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
Have a new Sport and going through the same thing right now.
First....you have to decide - What's your budget for bringing the system up to your standards? How much are you willing to spend?

From there, you can start figuring out, what's the low-hanging-fruit? What are easiest/cheapest things I can do first to make an impact. From what I understand and have read in some forums, just installing tweeters in the front sail panels can make a very noticeable difference. Of course, you can spend a little or a LOT on just tweeters, but I would consider this to be relatively inexpensive, as well as easy to do. Worth trying and see if it makes you happy. If not, move on to the next easiest/cheapest thing on the list. (If you're going to try just installing some tweeters, don't 'just' install the Touring ones....at least do a little homework and get something a little higher quality)

FYI, my current plans (changed from original) are to leave the stock HU in place (for now at least). I'm then going with actives in the front and coax in the rear, and then installing a JL Fix86 feeding into a JL VX600/6i (DSP + Amp) . I already have a little JL micro sub and 'micro' amp as well that I'll be using. (Not a JL fanboy or anything, it's just how things worked out) It's pretty crazy though how fast this crap adds up!

Last edited:

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Just change out the HU and be done with it. Anything else is just prolonging the inevitable.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
If the audio quality is what's driving this, then IMHO, a new HU won't provide that much of a noticeable improvement in sound. That's why I suggested starting with speakers (adding tweeters in this case).

UnknownCTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CTR SGP, Mercedes-Benz 2014 C250
Country flag
If the audio quality is what's driving this, then IMHO, a new HU won't provide that much of a noticeable improvement in sound. That's why I suggested starting with speakers (adding tweeters in this case).
I agree, the factory speakers are garbage. If you're going to add tweeters, might as well replace the mids also. I replaced all my factory speakers and added a LC6I with 2 amps. Way better sound.
Down the road, I'll replace the HU.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
Does the stock HU have RCA to add a amp?
Not the LX/Sport HU. I think I recall reading that the touchscreen HU's have a digital-out connection though.
But for the OP's sake, there's only speaker-level outputs.

ck42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Sport MT
Country flag
It would be nice to be able to just add a amp and not have to mess with the head unit.
You can. Many amps have speaker-level inputs. Or...a more recommended way, use a dedicated LOC (LC2i for example) that then spits out line-level outputs.

Shankmeyster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Si
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I have a Sport and the HU was the main problem. I used one of those 9 inch android radios for a few months and it had a built in amp on stock speakers. It was far better than the stock lower trim unit.

tstan7777

First Name
todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 civic sport
I changed my stock head unit to a kenwood ddx9904. The factory radio has a native dsp curve and does not provide a "clean" signal. You can hear it by turning up the radio. Notice the overall output gets louder, but the bass does not? A new head unit on the lx/sport models is easy install and provides some basic dsp.

I tuned mine by running frequency sweeps using a handheld db meter. Using your phone to access sweeps via youtube, watch the db meter and look for any wide swings in output. When you notice a big dip or peak, pause the sweep and make note of what frequency you're at. Then adjust accordingly and run sweep again.

After getting a nice eq curve, the difference is night and day. The factory speakers are not all that bad once they are "unlocked". You also gain a sound foundation to add more components later. Now, if you buy speakers, they will receive a clean signal that you have some basic dsp tools to adjust.

Overall output did not rise with a head unit. It still does about 100db before and after.

Eman

First Name
Eman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Hatchback
Country flag
I am a not an expert but here is my take. Replacing the speakers with factory HU will might have negative impact since OEM head units will not be able to provide much power (I believe they are 2 ohm units???) unless you replace them with 2 ohm speakers. Assuming later on you replace the OEM HU or install an amp you are limited to running them at 2 ohm or replace the "new" speakers. If you replace the HU first at your SQ might improve slightly due to increased power output and you also have flexibility to run more common 4 ohm speakers later on. If money is no object I would replace the HU, speakers, sub, and amp.

I am looking to replace my LX HB HU and looking for suggestion on which unit (I preference is Alpine or Kenwood). I want to keep all my rear cam, steering controls, factory mic and BT functions working properly. For speakers I am looking at Focals, Hertz or JL (any suggestions?) I currently have 2 JL amps and sub from my old car.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

ebhaynz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic Si 2017
Country flag
I am a not an expert but here is my take. Replacing the speakers with factory HU will might have negative impact since OEM head units will not be able to provide much power (I believe they are 2 ohm units???) unless you replace them with 2 ohm speakers. Assuming later on you replace the OEM HU or install an amp you are limited to running them at 2 ohm or replace the "new" speakers. If you replace the HU first at your SQ might improve slightly due to increased power output and you also have flexibility to run more common 4 ohm speakers later on. If money is no object I would replace the HU, speakers, sub, and amp.

I am looking to replace my LX HB HU and looking for suggestion on which unit (I preference is Alpine or Kenwood). I want to keep all my rear cam, steering controls, factory mic and BT functions working properly. For speakers I am looking at Focals, Hertz or JL (any suggestions?) I currently have 2 JL amps and sub from my old car.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
I kind of wish I was in your boat. I've got an Si so I really can't replace the HU unless I go with the even worse Chinese knockoffs. At least you can go with Kenwood or Alpine (or maybe even Pioneer?). Based on my experience I would pay extra and get a HU with Nav built in. I know everybody says use your phone but NAV connections between smartphones and HU's are always glitchy. Also I wouldn't bother with Honda's rear cam unless you really know what your doing, probably best to buy and install your own rear cam.

Good luck on whatever you choose to do and be sure to keep us posted!

RallyeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Sport Hatch
Country flag
I also own a hatch sport and will installing a Line Output Converter using the rear speakers wires, i will be making the connections in the door pillars before the door and running those wires to the trunk where i will stash my LOC and amp under the floor more towards the seats before the spare tire. The sub i have is a 12" kenwood in a sealed box, untill i get a good 8" and make my own box in the back corner (fiberglass). I already have all this from previous vehicles, so its not the most cost friendly, I would be replacing the rear door speakers first, although they are a weird size so an adapter would have to be used/made. My hatch sport is canadian so it already has tweeters, same as the touring (very pitchy btw)
Sponsored