Spoon Thermostat CEL - P0128

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 CW CTR, 2019 Honda Civic EX 1.5T (Sold)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
So i installed a spoon thermostat and i thought it was my PRL inlet pipe throwing a code but after flashing the CEL came back, now i was wondering some of you experts in here could help me i was told i probably need to change my fan parameters, do any of you have nay idea on where I need to put them or how i need to change them?
@ipeefreely @nojeebs saw you two had previously mentioned it can you weigh in?
Mods: PRL HVI & Inlet, Spoon thermostat
thanks in advance
Sponsored

kefi

oh shit waddup its dat boi
Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
It's throwing P0128 because as this mod intends, your engine isn't reaching the operating temperature the ECU normally expects due to the thermostat letting the water be cooled down earlier than normal.

P0128 means 'coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature'.

As far as I know the way around this is by disabling the CEL itself.

Honda Civic 10th gen Spoon Thermostat CEL - P0128 1602525145221

I've never run a thermostat on an R though, so I could be wrong.

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's throwing P0128 because as this mod intends, your engine isn't reaching the operating temperature the ECU normally expects due to the thermostat letting the water be cooled down earlier than normal.

P0128 means 'coolant temperature below thermostat regulating temperature'.

As far as I know the way around this is by disabling the CEL itself.

1602525145221.png

I've never run a thermostat on an R though, so I could be wrong.
No what youre saying makes sense, someone had mentioned i could "adjust the primary and secondary fan temp range" I do remember seeing a field for this, i just dont know what direction to adjust them to.

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
No what youre saying makes sense, someone had mentioned i could "adjust the primary and secondary fan temp range" I do remember seeing a field for this, i just dont know what direction to adjust them to.
I could be wrong, but I don't think adjusting the fan speeds will actually do anything. The thermostat is letting the water flow below the usual ~170F, so it's going to cool it down whether or not you have the fans running simply from being on the move. The only thing I would think you could do is raise the fan speeds to make the water hotter, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the upgraded thermostat in the first place.

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I could be wrong, but I don't think adjusting the fan speeds will actually do anything. The thermostat is letting the water flow below the usual ~170F, so it's going to cool it down whether or not you have the fans running simply from being on the move. The only thing I would think you could do is raise the fan speeds to make the water hotter, but that kind of defeats the purpose of having the upgraded thermostat in the first place.
Ah okay that makes perfect sense then alright ill just delete the code then thanks for the info man!

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
No problem. If you did want to adjust fan speeds, it's under the 'Misc' section in the Calibration window.
Honda Civic 10th gen Spoon Thermostat CEL - P0128 1602528222766

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
No problem. If you did want to adjust fan speeds, it's under the 'Misc' section in the Calibration window.
1602528222766.png
Thanks man youve been an awesome help. Almost felt like id submitted a support ticket

elmerzasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8
Country flag
I know it's not what you asked and you already have it installed, however in my opinion that thermostat will not help with overheating on the track as the coolant temperature will easily surpass its 80 deg. C fully open temperature (during racing on the track). In fact you will most probably have reached 80 deg. C by the end of a warmup lap while typical race lap coolant temps are 95-115 deg. C. By that time there will be no difference between running an 80 deg. thermostat vs 90 (OEM).

So in reality the gain from the lower opening thermostat is ca. 20-30 seconds of WOT on the street (which is what it will take to get from 70 when Spoon therm. starts opening to 80 fully open and subsequently the radiator to soak heat from the coolant) with the downside of lower coolant temps while cruising which are causing the CEL.

That being said it should not hurt your engine, however I would recommend to do some datalogging to make sure that your car is not running richer than intended (the car runs richer during warmup and you should check whether its not treating the sub 80 deg. C temps as still requiring warmup).

I am not trying to bash your mods or anything, just make sure you keep an open mind about this.

Last edited:

solidconceptgroup

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, Accord V6
Country flag
I just wrote a post about the same issue, I got the same P0128 code. I reflashed by disabled the P0128 code and everything ran perfect with no codes.

I spoke with Spoon about it and after some data logging which was sent back to Japan, Spoon gave me another T-stat to rule out a faulty Tstat. Everything was okay no overheating issues with the 1st Spoon Tstat, I even tracked it with no over heating but I replaced after just incase.

I daily the car in California traffic and I've even ran two track days at SOW and canyon runs with no issues since installing the second Spoon T-stat. I ran the car without reflashing and everything was perfect, until two days ago when I reflashed and enabled the p0128 code since I'd never enabled the P0128 code after I replaced it the second time, and BAM the code came back up after a few days of fwy driving!

...after reading this thread seems like I'm not the only one... But I can say with confidence that the car has ran perfectly without any heating issues with the P0128 code disabled street, canyon, and track.

I'm full PRL bolt-on minus inlet pipe and I run Hondata..

But I'm all ears if anyone does have a solution on how to enable the P0128 code without it kicking up an engine code... what elmerzasty said is excatly what I concluded with Spoon and my Honda Tech.

Cheers.... @CTR27322 (IG)

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
1602528222766.png
Hey on a FULL BOLT ON, full map 93 octane tune do I check or uncheck AFM max voltage

kefi

Threads
Reaction score
Website
fk8.clinic
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
Hey on a FULL BOLT ON, full map 93 octane tune do I check or uncheck AFM max voltage
You don't need to unless you're hitting 5 volts on the MAF sensor, which you probably aren't. You'll throw a CEL if you do.

OP
OP
ThorSellsCars

ThorSellsCars

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
You don't need to unless you're hitting 5 volts on the MAF sensor, which you probably aren't. You'll throw a CEL if you do.
I threw P2261 early and fixed that one turned out to be a pinched line so just so im clear do check the box or dont check the box
Sponsored