nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
Anyone try this method yet? Definitely looks the easiest and seems like you wouldn’t risk pulling the axle out.

I’m looking to install lowering springs myself. Been reading over the Spoon directions for quite some time and feel pretty confident on doing so when the time comes to install. After watching that video and reading some of the comments, I’m fairly certain they left out some steps to make it look super easy. I’ll definitely be sticking the the Spoon directions and the extra advice of others here.
Sponsored

NX211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
With this install do i need anything else like a zero bump stop or rear camber arms? I don't really care if it's slightly out of camber as long as the specs are fine... Will be a daily driver and track in rare occasion. Guessing bump stop isn't really an issue, just an option.

https://jhpusa.com/products/spoon-sports-front-zero-bump-steer-kit-17-civic-type-r
$300 so a little much

https://jhpusa.com/products/spoon-subframe-rigid-collar-kit-front-2017-civic-type-r-fk8
$230 but i hear it can help with alignment among other things... And since I'll be taking off most of the parts to basically put these in. Don't really want to spend the money but... Thoughts?

Edit: I see there is also a rear kit so you would get both.

https://jhpusa.com/products/spoon-subframe-rigid-collar-kit-rear-2017-civic-type-r-fk8

Thanks for any input. I'll be putting Titan 7 T-S5.. 19"

https://titan-7.com/collections/whe...ged-split-5-spoke-wheel?variant=7758707916828

Last edited:

Frantic_FK8

First Name
Antoine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8, 240sx
Country flag
I’m looking to install lowering springs myself. Been reading over the Spoon directions for quite some time and feel pretty confident on doing so when the time comes to install. After watching that video and reading some of the comments, I’m fairly certain they left out some steps to make it look super easy. I’ll definitely be sticking the the Spoon directions and the extra advice of others here.
Good catch! I will still probably unbolt the axle because I’m worried about pulling it out. Looks like I will be doing the spoon method as well.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
I quickly looked at the video and saw that the only steps that are different is they remove the brake calipers and rotors instead of removing the subframe bolts. I don’t see how removing the calipers and rotors will give you enough room to pull the struts out. Some steps are definitely missing.

One tip, thanks for @02SilverSiHB, when you drop the assembly to pull the strut out, put a jack under the castle nut to make sure the whole assembly doesn’t drop down too far and risk having the drive shaft popped out.

nickjohn35

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 2017 PMM Typer R. Former: 2004 350Z
Country flag
Driver side axle came out for me when I did the Spoon method. I ended up having to replace the Axle seal.
Did you place a jack under the castle nut when lowering the strut assembly to make sure it did lower too far?

NX211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Does anyone know a good shop in the Southern California area? Prefer to stay in the Inland Empire/LA/Irvine area. (Live in Ontario)... I need to install Spoon springs and rigid collars (front & rear). Received a quote from a well reviewed shop in Irvine about $1600 with alignment. Is that a good price? Said they would need the car for a few days.

23Red

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 FK8, '06 AP2
Country flag
Does anyone know a good shop in the Southern California area? Prefer to stay in the Inland Empire/LA/Irvine area. (Live in Ontario)... I need to install Spoon springs and rigid collars (front & rear). Received a quote from a well reviewed shop in Irvine about $1600 with alignment. Is that a good price? Said they would need the car for a few days.
Good god, is that including the cost of parts? If not, definitely shop around. If so, still, shop around.

NX211

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Type R
Country flag
Good god, is that including the cost of parts? If not, definitely shop around. If so, still, shop around.
I about lost it (thinking already spent a decent amount on the parts)... Already have the rigid collars. Springs will be here 6-10 weeks. I have a mechanic friend (not certified). Should i just have him help me? I was just originally worried about damaging something... The instructions here are pretty good though.

VinRRR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R16017
Country flag
Way too expensive and too long IMO. Shouldn’t take them more than 3 hours to do everything while the car is on the lift. I was quoted $450 and 3 hours to install the springs, and I thought it was a little too much so I did it myself and also because of the COVID-19. But after doing it on jack stands, I think $450 is worth it lol. The front is a pain, but I can do it a lot faster now the 2nd time around because I’m familiar with it now. Rigid collars are easy bolt on parts right? Shouldn’t take long. I would shop around. If not have your mechanics friends help you out. I think that’s the best way to go.

r712

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R (FK8) | 2017 Fit (GK5)
Country flag
Yeah was going to say that $1600 quote is more in line with a dealership quote. My Honda dealership quoted me $800 for just the front springs. My ex-Honda mechanic friend who ended up doing the install guessed that it was probably more than likely because they wanted to drop the subframe for the install and/or aren't familiar with the front setup.

Based on that, another bit of advice I have (that may or may not be necessary) is to find a mechanic who is at least familiar with European car suspensions and not just Honda ones. My buddy who really only works on Hondas and some other JDM makes hadn't seen this kind of front end suspension before, although he was able to figure it out. The rears were cake for him, but I remember it took him the majority of the day to get the fronts done.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If anyone cares...I found a way to install the spring in the front without removing the under panel or the bolts to the control arm.

I removed the two bolts holding the strut, the bolt holding the brake line, the top part of the endlink, and the bolt holding the sensor (lowering sensor i think its called?).

I did this on both sides. Then just slightly twist the rotor assembly while pushing in and out. I had enough room to remove the strut then. You may have to go from one side to the other while twisting and pushing. The sway bar is what I think causes the issue of the assembly coming down low enough.

Remove the passenger side first then the driver side...do the opposite when installing.

Also don't remove the top tower nuts right away...do that last once the strut is free.

Lastly, when doing this, have something to hold the assembly as you don't want it to go too low and rip the axle out...the driver side seems most prone to this.

suichgo

First Name
Sue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
92 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
I did it the Spoon way. Getting the strut off was a pain but I was able to. Install was a breeze.

Note: when tightening up the one subframe bolt (horizontal bolt) , do it first then the two vertical bolts.

02SilverSiHB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FK8
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I did it the Spoon way. Getting the strut off was a pain but I was able to. Install was a breeze.

Note: when tightening up the one subframe bolt (horizontal bolt) , do it first then the two vertical bolts.
Yeah that takes way longer. I've done it that way a few times.