Spoon Sports Exhaust

jefxfree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Type R, EK hatch
Country flag
and also people constantly strive for perfection or demand it, even though perfection doesn't exist. i.e....the car that handles like a F1 car w/out it being too stiff and comfortable like a Lexus LS on the street. The engine that is a 2.0 that makes 500 hp w/out it being too loud, takes 87 octane gas, will pass smog, will not overheat, and will get us at least 40mpg on the freeway. Finally, the exhaust that looks good, pleases every single buyer as far as decibel goes(including the noise police), does not drone, and makes considerable power on the dyno.

Maybe perfection will exist one day, but until then, please understand and compromise.. :beer:
That's not even partially true. There are X manufacturers making car parts. Of that number Y are making exhausts. NONE of those exhausts are the same.

People are choosing companies based off specific needs.

If you only want HP you can go to any of X manufacturers and only choose their products that make power.

If you want stylish you can go to any of X manufacturers that make comfort/stylish products and buy that.

If you can point to a single person in this thread that said they wanted 50 more HP with 0 more noise/drone i'll take this all back. But that's not the case.

I suppose what you're saying is true if a person wants ALL products from a single manufacturer, but that's not the case here.
Sponsored

Type-JZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 Lexus GS350, B13 Sentra SE-R, '93 Camry, '07 TSX, '13 Odyssey
Country flag
That's not even partially true. There are X manufacturers making car parts. Of that number Y are making exhausts. NONE of those exhausts are the same.

People are choosing companies based off specific needs.

If you only want HP you can go to any of X manufacturers and only choose their products that make power.

If you want stylish you can go to any of X manufacturers that make comfort/stylish products and buy that.

If you can point to a single person in this thread that said they wanted 50 more HP with 0 more noise/drone i'll take this all back. But that's not the case.

I suppose what you're saying is true if a person wants ALL products from a single manufacturer, but that's not the case here.
lol. i said all of that in exaggerated sarcasm. The point i was trying to make is, people ask for a lot of things and at times unrealistic. Like someone mentioned above, if you're looking for zero drone, don't get an exhaust. I wasn't trying to group parts in a one stop shop supplier. Obviously, every mfg makes different parts.

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
asking if an exhaust drones or not is a legit question as some will barely drone and some will drone very bad, the problem is its very subjective and peoples sensitivities may be waaaay different when it comes to sounds. If someone is really worried about drone the best thing for them to do is go to meets or car shows and try and listen to the actual exhausts they are potentially going to by, if that's not a possibility then I would recommend youtube even though that's going to be tougher to get an accurate example of the sound.

I want to hear the spoon in person but from the video it sounds too quiet for me, I was hoping it would be a little more aggressive like their FD exhaust or S2K single N1 were.

ctr_no650

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 ctr, 2014 Chevy Sonic LTZ, 1990 rover mini
Country flag
ehh.... i like the tri tip design the two tip look to simple, i mean don't get me wrong hks, greddy, spoon are all great companies there is just something i love about the trip tip design. Afe is my favorite design exhaust system for the CTR to date. I am patiently waiting on the cat-back AFE system to be built for my ctr.

8yourv8

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Type-R
Country flag
I have a general question for anyone running a aftermarket exhaust. Why are so many people running aftermarket exhausts when theres barley any power to be made?

neveronline

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current '19 CW CTR #23856 & '18 Accord 2.0T Previous - 2015 WRX, 1999 SI, '04 S2000, '08 Evo X, '10 SI sedan, '11 Fit Sport, '11 WRX, '13 ILX
Country flag
I have a general question for anyone running a aftermarket exhaust. Why are so many people running aftermarket exhausts when theres barley any power to be made?
3 reasons for swapping out exhausts.

1. Sound (stock is fairly quiet and some want it to be louder)
2. Looks (some don't like the tri tip or want a different look)
3. Weight reduction, the OE exhaust is somewhat heavy and aftermarket exhausts can shave a few pounds or can shave a lot of pounds if you go with a complete Ti system

iLovePho

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW CTR #2060
Country flag
For me it was sound, I actually like the stock three tip look. Weight saving wasn't in my plan since Ti exhausts are $$$$$.

tuxmonkey

R-00330
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Civic Type R #330, '17 Jeep GC Overland
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
IMHO the Spoon exhaust sounds like a muffler delete on the OEM exhaust while looking like the Hatch Sport dual tip exhaust. I know Spoon makes great things, but this exhaust just doesn't seem worth it.

logonzojls

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EVO X, CIVIC type-R
On a mostly stock vehicle, it might not pay the dividends for the purchase price but for some the sound alone is worth it. The more modifications to let the engine breathe the more an aftermarket exhaust is gonna make a difference. The stock exhaust is only gonna flow so much. The R is still pretty new but as more parts are developed and power is continually increases the stock exhaust will be obsolete for those going for higher numbers.

UFO CTR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CTR#1348
Country flag
and also people constantly strive for perfection or demand it, even though perfection doesn't exist. i.e....the car that handles like a F1 car w/out it being too stiff and comfortable like a Lexus LS on the street. The engine that is a 2.0 that makes 500 hp w/out it being too loud, takes 87 octane gas, will pass smog, will not overheat, and will get us at least 40mpg on the freeway. Finally, the exhaust that looks good, pleases every single buyer as far as decibel goes(including the noise police), does not drone, and makes considerable power on the dyno.

Maybe perfection will exist one day, but until then, please understand and compromise.. :beer:
Correct! Perfection is not achievable, so there will be some sort of droning in all exhaust systems...don't forget, everyone have different hearing capacities...what's consider drone for some may not be droning for others (kinda like "yonny or lauro")...Also, droning that we hear may not be directly from the exhaust; it could be a combination of exhaust vibration frequency resonating against other vibrating parts in the car...there will be droning in all exhaust! Even the stock exhaust has been reported to have droning!

EDIT: best way to decide on exhaust is to hear it and actually ride in the car with the exhaust you want (no shit right :) ), or buy and sell until the "right" sounding one comes along. I am very happy :) with my $650 2-tip Greddy SP :)

Last edited:

maaaaark

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 type R
Country flag
asking if an exhaust drones or not is a legit question as some will barely drone and some will drone very bad, the problem is its very subjective and peoples sensitivities may be waaaay different when it comes to sounds. If someone is really worried about drone the best thing for them to do is go to meets or car shows and try and listen to the actual exhausts they are potentially going to by, if that's not a possibility then I would recommend youtube even though that's going to be tougher to get an accurate example of the sound.

I want to hear the spoon in person but from the video it sounds too quiet for me, I was hoping it would be a little more aggressive like their FD exhaust or S2K single N1 were.
You have to take into account that those cars were high revving na’s compared to the fk8 which is a different platform. Plus, i could not rev the hell out of it due to the limiter

maaaaark

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 type R
Country flag
For me, i wanted the 2 tip as I thought the 3 was overkill. The exhausts that are in the market right now sounds too aggressive to the point where it sounds like a growl, which to me does not sound like a real honda at all. I went with a quieter But nice sounding system. Plus, spoon . Heritage and JDM. What more can u ask for?

FK8_K20c1

HONDA The Power of Earth Dreams Technology!
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FK8 Type R
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
For me, i wanted the 2 tip as I thought the 3 was overkill. The exhausts that are in the market right now sounds too aggressive to the point where it sounds like a growl, which to me does not sound like a real honda at all. I went with a quieter But nice sounding system. Plus, spoon . Heritage and JDM. What more can u ask for?
There’s not that many people at least so far I think Im the only one running milltek full resonated w/catless downpipe. It only sounds aggressive after 3,500 rpms not as aggressive as the majority out there and no drone. Glad you are happy with your buy. Me even if I had the money I wouldn’t spend that much on an exhaust. But to each their own.

maaaaark

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 FK8 type R
Country flag
IMHO the Spoon exhaust sounds like a muffler delete on the OEM exhaust while looking like the Hatch Sport dual tip exhaust. I know Spoon makes great things, but this exhaust just doesn't seem worth it.
There’s not that many people at least so far I think Im the only one running milltek full resonated w/catless downpipe. It only sounds aggressive after 3,500 rpms not as aggressive as the majority out there and no drone. Glad you are happy with your buy. Me even if I had the money I wouldn’t spend that much on an exhaust. But to each their own.
Also, its just a thing of mine. Said to myself, i would only put JDM parts as much as possible.