Av00va

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic EX
Country flag
I just got a 21 civic ex with 1500 miles. I flashed a base Ktuner tune, then suddenly my brake system light appeared and the brakes are noticeably super spongy now. Given the rapid onset, something tells me the tune was unrelated..? The car is a salvage title with no warranty. Fluid was low but by very little to the point where I wonder if it really needed any. Are there any pointers for this, and does anyone have a bleeding procedure handy? I have a Ktuner...not sure if they have a bleed function for the brakes.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Av00va

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic EX
Country flag
I used my parking brake for the second time right before this. Apparently air gets trapped?

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
This is definitely not related to the ECU flash. It sounds like this car has a bit of "a history." I would recommend manually bleeding the brakes. It cannot be done electronically.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Also, given the mileage, the fluid should not be low at all. I would first check for a leak in the brake lines or calipers.

OP
OP

Av00va

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic EX
Country flag
Also, given the mileage, the fluid should not be low at all. I would first check for a leak in the brake lines or calipers.
What's the best way to do that? I did a visual inspection and saw nothing.

calonzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Civic Touring
Country flag
Visual inspection is fine. Did you remove the tires so you can get a clear view of the calipers? You may not see liquid, but any staining of the metal near the connections would indicate a tiny leak.

OP
OP

Av00va

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic EX
Country flag
While this is very true, speaking with a mechanic has led me to believe a leak would result in the system losing fluid when you pump the brakes after some time. Considering I barely have any evidence of this, I will bleed the brakes and pump it repeatedly checking to see if it loses fluid. It may just be air considering my brakes still work albeit with some travel.

OP
OP

Av00va

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Civic EX
Country flag
Bleeding didn't work so I'll have it checked out.
Sponsored