Spilled Coffee

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
For reasons we will not discuss, the passenger side carpet of my Type R has absorbed about 60% of a large Tim Hortons coffee.

I used a Bissell little green machine to suck what I could out, sprayed water, and sucked that out as well. I left the rest of it to air dry.

I think most of the liquid went into the floor mat before the carpet. Regardless, should I be worried ? I’m assuming there isn’t anything mission critical underneath the passenger carpet.
Sponsored

wildbilly32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Porsche C4S 19 CTR #24184 19 Volvo XC40 R
Country flag
I don't think there is anything under there, but the problem is going to be every time you get in the car you are going to have this undeniable urge to drink coffee.:rolleyes: Tell me there wasn't any cream type products in the coffee...right?

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
I don't think there is anything under there, but the problem is going to be every time you get in the car you are going to have this undeniable urge to drink coffee.:rolleyes: Tell me there wasn't any cream type products in the coffee...right?
4 milks. The car 110% had the coffee smell in it until I did the rinse job with the Bissell. It's drying right now - its a hot day and car is parked in sun with windows open .

I'm more of a double-double man myself.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Type R and a beater ford focus
Country flag
if it is really concerning you and there was sugar in that coffee. what I did once was like you flooded it with water and a green machine. but I also went and took off my side trim so I could slide a puppy pad under the carpet. Then soaked it again. the puppy pad soaked up the extra water and sugar I was pushing through. I did this several times and then left to dry. I never got a spot or any funky smell. Then once all dry you can scotch guard it in case it happens again or get some all whether mats.

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
if it is really concerning you and there was sugar in that coffee. what I did once was like you flooded it with water and a green machine. but I also went and took off my side trim so I could slide a puppy pad under the carpet. Then soaked it again. the puppy pad soaked up the extra water and sugar I was pushing through. I did this several times and then left to dry. I never got a spot or any funky smell. Then once all dry you can scotch guard it in case it happens again or get some all whether mats.
Thanks for the post. Luckily there was no sugar. I'll be getting all-season mats before the winter!

Did this happen on your Civic as well?

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Thanks for the post. Luckily there was no sugar. I'll be getting all-season mats before the winter!

Did this happen on your Civic as well?
NO was on another car thank god LOL. but those car carpets are all the same. I just cant stand a stain or my car to look bad in anyway. and i was worried that the water or coffee would go through to metal. That was when i was on wait a puppy pad those are basically big water dipers LOL. so i pulled the side trim and slid one under the carpet and soaked away with my green machine to push out the stain. I did it three times(overkill im sure) but the pads came out with extra soaked up coffee so it worked :) I was worried about heat making it smell or even worse getting ants in the car as we have ants everywhere here.

oh and if you want to save a few bucks . weather tech are good but husky liners makes a good all weather with high sidewalls for the R. The difference is the weather tech ones dont go all the way under the pedals the only go about half way so dirt from your shoes will fall behind and under them. The husky liners go all the way up behind the full pedal and they cost less too. They do feel cheaper but do a better job in my opinion.

8409_CW

First Name
Kabir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 CTR, 1992 Civic HB
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
For reasons we will not discuss, the passenger side carpet of my Type R has absorbed about 60% of a large Tim Hortons coffee.

Double Double causing Trouble Trouble.

lol - sorry, 416 baby! I think the Bissell and water should do the trick.

OP
OP
TheCanadian

TheCanadian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Boost Blue Type R
Country flag
NO was on another car thank god LOL. but those car carpets are all the same. I just cant stand a stain or my car to look bad in anyway. and i was worried that the water or coffee would go through to metal. That was when i was on wait a puppy pad those are basically big water dipers LOL. so i pulled the side trim and slid one under the carpet and soaked away with my green machine to push out the stain. I did it three times(overkill im sure) but the pads came out with extra soaked up coffee so it worked :) I was worried about heat making it smell or even worse getting ants in the car as we have ants everywhere here.

I can't tell of any stain because its on the floor only! The seats were saved fortunately. I think I'm going to do the Bissell treatment one more time after it dries. I'd prefer going underneath but I do not want to tear apart the R just yet.

I just pray the felt padding underneath dries out.

Harlaquin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
I can't tell of any stain because its on the floor only! The seats were saved fortunately. I think I'm going to do the Bissell treatment one more time after it dries. I'd prefer going underneath but I do not want to tear apart the R just yet.

I just pray the felt padding underneath dries out.
I think you will be fine :)

MadMage

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Type R
Country flag
Can't stand the smell of coffee, so it's not allowed in my car. But I did spill 40 ounces of chocolate milk in my '92 Prelude many years ago. o_O

the8rotor

Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Type R
Country flag
Sounds like the wife made boo boo with her coffee ?

Muggsy

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Type R, 2020 Lexus UX250h, 2012 Toyota Sienna
Country flag
4 milks. The car 110% had the coffee smell in it until I did the rinse job with the Bissell. It's drying right now - its a hot day and car is parked in sun with windows open .

I'm more of a double-double man myself.
Love the double double. Should be fine once it dries out.

CanadaCivic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Honda Civic Type R (CW)
Country flag
Greetings from Canada :)

I am a detailer, so maybe I can help.

If you want to clean the area again, buy yourself some carpet/upholstery shampoo (I like Chemical Guys Foaming Citrus Carpet & Upholstery Cleanser, it even has ozone-based odor neutralizers in it), dilute it with water as instructed (I think 20:1) and spray it on the carpet. Then, get either a soft-ish brush or even better a white drillbrush ($10 on Amazon), and work the product in. The foam will bring any soil to the surface for extraction. Then, using only hot water in your Bissell tank, go over the area until the waste water runs clear through the hose and all the soap is out. Make as many passes as you need to with just the vacuum function until the area is as dry as you can possibly get it. Crack the windows and leave it out in the sun as you've already been doing to get it nice and dry - Honda carpet is actually really cheap/thin so it shouldn't take too long if you've done a good job with the extractor. That will get your carpet factory clean and smelling amazing. Good luck!
Sponsored