Admin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Build Thread
Link
Country flag
A new prototype has shown up on the U.S. Honda test circuit, and it looks like this may be the new U.S.-bound, UK-built 5-door Civic.

The latest prototype matches up with the prior Civic prototypes in its key dimensions--wheelbase, windshield, door handles, and hood line all overlay perfectly with Civic sedan test cars. However, this new prototype is covered in a completely different camouflage set-up than prior Civic test cars, and it appears to have an even more bulbous silhouette than the already sleek Civic sedan. While the sedan's roofline begins to taper downward toward its rather fastbacked shape, this new Civic is more rounded toward the rear, suggesting that we may be seeing the as-yet-unseen 5-door variant--completing the Civic's coming model hat trick.

Honda Civic 10th gen Spied! New 2016 Honda Civic 5-Door Hatchback Prototype Civics345.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen Spied! New 2016 Honda Civic 5-Door Hatchback Prototype Civics45.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen Spied! New 2016 Honda Civic 5-Door Hatchback Prototype Civic5dr.KGP.ed
Honda Civic 10th gen Spied! New 2016 Honda Civic 5-Door Hatchback Prototype Civic5dr.rc.KGP.ed

Last edited:

MMM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fit
YESSSS!! Knew it was coming but happy to see it.

CaptK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru XV Crosstek
Nice! I do believe that is the line up right there.

Boarshead77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 CW FK8; previously, 2011 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
If that is the hatchback, it is very close to the sedan's lines. Reminds me somewhat of the Crosstour, which is cool in its own way, but not very sporty looking. I'd love to see a shorter, more muscular hatch similar to the current European Type R.

Backstrom

Threads
Reaction score
If that is the hatchback, it is very close to the sedan's lines. Reminds me somewhat of the Crosstour, which is cool in its own way, but not very sporty looking. I'd love to see a shorter, more muscular hatch similar to the current European Type R.
I agree with you, the profile looks too similar to the sedan in the spy photos. I'm hoping there is a lot of padding in the back. The current 9th gen Type R 5 door is a sexy beast.. if Honda is trying to bring sporty back to the Civic with this next generation, it's gotta nail this hatch back and it better look sportier than the current gen Civic.

randY49

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.thetailpipe.com
Vehicle(s)
1988 CRX Si, 2015 Civic Si
Country flag
It will be disappointing if this does turn out to be the 5-door. I don't see enough of a difference to call it anything other than another sedan mule myself, so I'm holding out hope that the camo is just giving it the illusion of a different shape.

I sure am hoping for more of a traditional hatch shape than a smaller Crosstour.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CBR600RR
Hope it's just the padding making it look like a sportback. Could that just be a sedan but in different camoflage?

If not, there's going to be a bunch of enthusiasts banging on Honda's door for a Type R Coupe instead.

Realdealryan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Accord, TSX
It's covered up. We already know these are wider and sportier than the last generation- when the R hits, it will look fine.

///Mookster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Civic Touring
Country flag
This is definitely not your traditional wedge style hatchback but more like a sportback, which isn't necessarily bad. Look how good the Tesla Model S looks and that's a sportback.

NIN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hondas 4 life
It will be disappointing if this does turn out to be the 5-door. I don't see enough of a difference to call it anything other than another sedan mule myself, so I'm holding out hope that the camo is just giving it the illusion of a different shape.

I sure am hoping for more of a traditional hatch shape than a smaller Crosstour.
If not for the different camo I think everyone would say this is the sedan, which is what I bet is underneath. The hatch is coming out last so it would not be unusual that it's not out testing yet with the rest of the line up.

RobbJK88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic EX Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
If not for the different camo I think everyone would say this is the sedan, which is what I bet is underneath. The hatch is coming out last so it would not be unusual that it's not out testing yet with the rest of the line up.
I agree, i think this is just another sedan testing (possibly had both engines testing hence 2 cars). It just looks too similar, a back end that low isn't a true hatchback and would never cut it in Europe. Remember this is supposed to be a global car, it has to appeal to a wide audience, and europe likes its wedge hatchbacks.
Sponsored