Si SPEC Inc. Proprietary Stage 2+ Clutch/Aluminum SMF + More!

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Just ordered the SPEC Inc. Proprietary Stage 2+ Clutch / Aluminum Single Mass Flywheel Combo from @Two Step Performance! Along with a few other goodies! Also got myself the PRL Stainless Steel Clutch Line, along with the Two Step Performance TSP Flex Fuel Plug-n-Play Kit with their TSP Stage 2 Flex Fuel tune!

Didn't decide to jump the gun out of nowhere though...

Some background for you folks:

2018 Honda Civic Si Sedan in WOP
Purchased in January 2018
Nearing 20,000k miles

Current Performance/Drivability Modifications
  1. MagnaFlow Catback Exhaust w/ Custom Resonator Straight Pipe
  2. PRL Cobra CAI (Street MAF)
  3. KTuner V1.2
  4. TSP Stage 1 Tune
  5. Boomba Short Shift Adapter
  6. Acuity Shift Cable Bushings
  7. Acuity Throttle Pedal Spacer
  8. Clutch Delay Valve Delete
I daily this car, A LOT. Can be seen through the mileage in such little time shown. But who says you can't have fun in your daily? This car is perfect. Fun as a daily, but still manages to get well over 30MPG.

So, why did I jump the gun? Well, the fun has its limits. And by limits I'm talking about that dang stock clutch! Can't hold power for it's own life. It held up pretty well for being beat up for nearly 20,000 miles but it has reached the end of its life. Just a few days ago the clutch suddenly crapped on me and slipped like there was no tomorrow. Just today it has rendered itself toast, as I could barely even move in 1st gear. So sad that I'm unable to drive my car until the new clutch comes in and gets installed... But, this has further pushed me to finally get a new clutch in, and while I'm at it, get the clutch line changed out and get some Flex Fuel in there now that I have a clutch to handle that power! Decided to go with their proprietary kit with the SMF since I'm unsure about the condition of the OEM DMF.

Anyways, I know there isn't much info or reviews about the SPEC clutches right now on our platform so I have gladly decided to make this thread to showcase my journey as this clutch gets installed and how it holds up to daily driving and whatnot. Anyone who reads this, please feel free to ask me questions also and I will do my best to answer them.

I will try to keep the process updated as often as I can so if this is something you're interested in please follow this thread! Really excited to get these new parts in!
Sponsored

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Cant wait man! You're doing everything that I'm currently in the process of doing as well.

NoKz

Speed Limit Tester
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si Coupe (Sold 12/2021)
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Was looking at it as well. 8,000 miles in with TSP Stage 1 and I'm slipping at 4th gear high RPM. If I'm going to order the FlexFuel Kit, I'm going to need the new clutch.

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Was looking at it as well. 8,000 miles in with TSP Stage 1 and I'm slipping at 4th gear high RPM. If I'm going to order the FlexFuel Kit, I'm going to need the new clutch.
Yup. I've been running that tune also but I think I've been having too much fun with it... Showing obviously through my now completely useless stock clutch. Hahaha oops.
:drive:
Maybe it's not too late for you then to get a retrofitted Type R clutch kit. @francomakou got one installed on his car by Eman. He says someone who has tried SPEC and the Type R clutch prefers the Type R clutch. Kind of too late for me to go back so I'm just gonna stick with SPEC! Just another option to keep in mind :)

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
Yup. I've been running that tune also but I think I've been having too much fun with it... Showing obviously through my now completely useless stock clutch. Hahaha oops.
:drive:
Maybe it's not too late for you then to get a retrofitted Type R clutch kit. @francomakou got one installed on his car by Eman. He says someone who has tried SPEC and the Type R clutch prefers the Type R clutch. Kind of too late for me to go back so I'm just gonna stick with SPEC! Just another option to keep in mind :)
I believe that “quote” came from a comment I made. I was comparing the pedal feel of the 3+ vs the Type R OEM clutch kit. The Type R setup is very nice if the kit modified to fit the Si ends up being economically priced. However, I think the 2+ kit that you ordered is going to prove to be an excellent choice, that will likely withstand long term use and abuse better than the factory Type R setup. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
I believe that “quote” came from a comment I made. I was comparing the pedal feel of the 3+ vs the Type R OEM clutch kit. The Type R setup is very nice if the kit modified to fit the Si ends up being economically priced. However, I think the 2+ kit that you ordered is going to prove to be an excellent choice, that will likely withstand long term use and abuse better than the factory Type R setup. :thumbsup:
When you say 3+ and 2+, are you talking about the setup with the OEM DMF or the SMF with their Proprietary kit?

But thank you! That's really good to hear. I think you guys recommended the 2+ Proprietary Kit for anyone who was running their car daily and found it better than the FX350. How's the clutch pedal feel on the SPEC kit compared to OEM, by the way?

They're similarly priced so it's nice to hear that the durability to abuse long term should be able to stack up if not out last the Type R clutch setup. :)

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
When you say 3+ and 2+, are you talking about the setup with the OEM DMF or the SMF with their Proprietary kit?

But thank you! That's really good to hear. I think you guys recommended the 2+ Proprietary Kit for anyone who was running their car daily and found it better than the FX350. How's the clutch pedal feel on the SPEC kit compared to OEM, by the way?

They're similarly priced so it's nice to hear that the durability to abuse long term should be able to stack up if not out last the Type R clutch setup. :)
SMF “Proprietary” kits.

It does get a bit confusing, but the 2+ Proprietary Design kit holds more torque than their “normal” 3+ kit for the OEM DMF. I won’t recommend anything less than the 3+ for the DMF but strongly recommend the Proprietary Design 2+ SMF kit over that one in any case.

With the Proprietary 3+ installed is was noticeably stiffer than the factory clutch kit. Keep in mind the 3+ is rated to hold well over 500 ft lbs of torque, overkill for any of today’s 10th gen Civics. I have not personally tested the 2+ kit but expect it to be VERY street friendly. The Proprietary 3+ kit isn’t bad on the street itself.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
Any chance we'll see some twin disc clutches @Two Step Performance?
I plan on going full bore in the spring. Running a PRL turbo ontop of my meth system. M1 fuel in the meth tank. E30-40 in the tank.

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
SMF “Proprietary” kits.

It does get a bit confusing, but the 2+ Proprietary Design kit holds more torque than their “normal” 3+ kit for the OEM DMF. I won’t recommend anything less than the 3+ for the DMF but strongly recommend the Proprietary Design 2+ SMF kit over that one in any case.

With the Proprietary 3+ installed is was noticeably stiffer than the factory clutch kit. Keep in mind the 3+ is rated to hold well over 500 ft lbs of torque, overkill for any of today’s 10th gen Civics. I have not personally tested the 2+ kit but expect it to be VERY street friendly. The Proprietary 3+ kit isn’t bad on the street itself.
Got it! And yup! Exactly what I thought too. I actually did a lot of research and found myself either looking at the 3+ with the DMF setup, or the 2+ with the SMF setup. The 2+ just seemed like a better deal since it held more torque and came with the lighter flywheel. Also the 2+ sits at a perfect place where I know I can comfortably hold the torque I'm trying to make (much less than 441 ft lbs.) While also being very street friendly. At the end of the day I'm happy with my choice of the SPEC "Proprietary" Stage 2+ clutch!

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
So this kit is a plug and play kit?
Yup! Comes with clear instructions for installation. Haven't installed it on my car yet because I'm still waiting for the clutch. And I won't install it for awhile. I'll install it once the break in period for the clutch is over. For the mean time, after the clutch install I'm going to be running the factory tune until the break in period is over, then I'll install the kit. I'll keep this thread all updated on the process!

OP
OP
IvanJonn

IvanJonn

First Name
Ivan Jonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Civic Si
Country flag
Update for you all! Today is the day! The clutch is finally coming in!

Going to get the car towed to my friends to get fixed, and will hopefully have the car by Friday.

I will try my best to get as many pictures as possible of the process of the clutch swap!

Honda Civic 10th gen SPEC Inc. Proprietary Stage 2+ Clutch/Aluminum SMF + More! PicsArt_11-20-08.34.12
Sponsored