SPEC clutch update

RickTheWelder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Which clutch disc do you have? Could just be a noise that particular friction material makes under certain conditions. Don't be afraid to ask SPEC if you haven't yet.
I've got the spec 2+ with steel SMF - I've sent an email to Spec today
One other thing - whenever I hear the sound (which is sometimes quite loud) I feel a vibration in the clutch pedal that corresponds to the sound.
Sponsored

Last edited:

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I installed 2+ and steel smf a few months back and had the lockout issue. I complained and I got the wilwood master for like $130 supposedly their cost, didn't get $100. It's great now so that makes me happy. What I'm super pissed about is the 3 weeks between running the spec with OEM master cylinder before upgrade I buzzed the syncros presumably, you know that horrible noise, and now if I ever try to shift in 4th at high rpm I get that buzz grind. I can shift into any gear at any RPM now except 4th. It will grind if I don't wait a half second for rpm to drop near 4k or less.

2tone

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic si. 2006 bmw 325i
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the problems people have had with spec that really sucks I’d be hella pissed. It seems like with the upgraded cmc the spec clutch is working great tho? I’m undecided between fx300 and spec 2+ for my next clutch.

RickTheWelder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
Here's a video of the sound mine is making :

Possibly a throw out bearing? I've only heard it when engaging into first. Intermittent though. Is it possible that the upgraded Wilwood CMC from spec is actuating the slave cylinder too far causing too much lateral pressure against the bearing?

Any input would be welcome.

OP
OP
BoostedDreams

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Sorry to hear about the problems people have had with spec that really sucks I’d be hella pissed. It seems like with the upgraded cmc the spec clutch is working great tho? I’m undecided between fx300 and spec 2+ for my next clutch.
I’ve put a few thousand miles on it now and have no complaints. The spec that is

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
seems the 'required' CMC is helpful on ClutchMasters as well, eh?
Will it hurt if I pre-install a new aftermarket CMC before a SPEC/ClutchMasters clutch replacement?

VooDuuChild

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si, Boosted Street and Track Monster 91 CRX Si.
Country flag
seems the 'required' CMC is helpful on ClutchMasters as well, eh?
Will it hurt if I pre-install a new aftermarket CMC before a SPEC/ClutchMasters clutch replacement?
Nope....should be fine to install prior to the clutch. It will help you get used to the extra pressure, so that later, when you get even MORE pressure, it won't feel so extreme as you've been getting used to the CMC pressure. I bet on a stock clutch, that CMC will make it feel like just the perfect amount of pressure.

bbeem

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 si sedan, FZ1, CR450R, Shadow 750
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Its great now. Guess I had to be the guini pig. Definitely pair it with the cmc and feels great. If I did it again I'd just go 3+ for peace of mind.

RickTheWelder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag
* update *
So I received a response from Spec after sending them an video of my clutch noise. (Also seems like others are experiencing the same - https://www.civicx.com/threads/spec-stage-2-clutch-noise.34011/)

According to Spec, it's the kevlar friction material making the sound. Completely harmless, but also completely annoying. Can anyone with kevlar clutch experience chime in? It seems strange that if it were an issue with that type of friction material,
1) more people would be complaining as I'm not the only one who bought this clutch
2) it would make the sound every time I engage into 1st gear - which it does not.

I've also been told that if i engage the clutch faster with less slip (i definitely do not ride the clutch excessively) it should minimize the sound but I don't relish the idea of drag racing from every stoplight. I use that example only because I think I engage the clutch pretty quick as it is.

At a bit of a loss here - do I have a defective clutch disc that is just being chalked up to "kevlar squawk" as Spec calls it?

joshhjackson2112

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI
Country flag
* update *
So I received a response from Spec after sending them an video of my clutch noise. (Also seems like others are experiencing the same - https://www.civicx.com/threads/spec-stage-2-clutch-noise.34011/)

According to Spec, it's the kevlar friction material making the sound. Completely harmless, but also completely annoying. Can anyone with kevlar clutch experience chime in? It seems strange that if it were an issue with that type of friction material,
1) more people would be complaining as I'm not the only one who bought this clutch
2) it would make the sound every time I engage into 1st gear - which it does not.

I've also been told that if i engage the clutch faster with less slip (i definitely do not ride the clutch excessively) it should minimize the sound but I don't relish the idea of drag racing from every stoplight. I use that example only because I think I engage the clutch pretty quick as it is.

At a bit of a loss here - do I have a defective clutch disc that is just being chalked up to "kevlar squawk" as Spec calls it?
Your making me nervous. I have the stage 2+ I still haven't installed.

kshawn

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic SI
Country flag
never going SPEC for these cars, ever. they really botched this one up

OP
OP
BoostedDreams

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Your making me nervous. I have the stage 2+ I still haven't installed.
No odd noises for me. There is some chatter though, which was originally said would only happen with the aluminum flywheel, but I have steel. Other than the heavy clutch pedal from the upgraded wilwood CMC, it’s been good. Would i buy the brand again? Fuck no.

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
No odd noises for me. There is some chatter though, which was originally said would only happen with the aluminum flywheel, but I have steel. Other than the heavy clutch pedal from the upgraded wilwood CMC, it’s been good. Would i buy the brand again? Fuck no.
My chatter is in first and reverse. It is worst in reverse though. The clutch grabs great. I just dont enjoy driving it anymore.

OP
OP
BoostedDreams

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
My chatter is in first and reverse. It is worst in reverse though. The clutch grabs great. I just dont enjoy driving it anymore.
I’m referring to chatter sound at idle. Quite audible sometimes with the AC off. Obviously I have it from a driving perspective as well, but never have to rev it above 2k to get moving

Thanks_Enjoi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' SI Sedan
Country flag
I’m referring to chatter sound at idle. Quite audible sometimes with the AC off. Obviously I have it from a driving perspective as well, but never have to rev it above 2k to get moving
I do not have any idle chatter. Atleast that I notice from inside the car. Or walking up to it while it is on.
Sponsored