SPEC Clutch Proprietary Clutch + Single Mass Flywheel Combos are now available to order!

OP
OP
Two Step Performance

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
17 Si, 19 Accord 2.0T, 23 Type R
Country flag
So are these clutch discs bigger then the factory disc ?Cause they hold so much more torque ,there's more into it then just a replacement clutch .
@ Two Step Performance did you figured out why your clutch didn't gave a cell and other do ? Is it in the flywheel weight or design or ...?
They are very slightly larger, the main difference is how SPEC has them interacting with eachother. (their "Proprietary" design)
Could you describe the drivetrain noise that you referenced in your write-up? Is it a chatter at idle, or certain vibrations? Would be hesitant to buy without seeing a video of it, to better understand whether it would be tolerable or not.
It's more a of a rattle noise. It's very strange the first time you notice it because it sounds like there is something loose in your transmission. The noise is not particularly loud but you hear it under low load / RPM situations.
Will the steel flywheel option still be a single mass? What is the targeted weight?
Yes, single mass. No details on weight yet, I hope to have that information from SPEC by the end of week, as they are on schedule to produce the first steel batch. Lighter than stock but not as light as the aluminum option.
How much more will the steel flywheel option cost?
No details on price yet, I hope to have that information from SPEC by the end of week, as they are on schedule to produce the first steel batch. Due to high steel prices in today's market, it is likely the price will be very comparable to the aluminum wheel.

Matthyahuw

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Agean Blue Civic Si Sedan 2016 Omaha Orange Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's more a of a rattle noise. It's very strange the first time you notice it because it sounds like there is something loose in your transmission. The noise is not particularly loud but you hear it under low load / RPM situations.
Is it basically the same as a motorcycle's clutch rattle?
I don't ride anymore, but my last bike was an older Suzuki GS1000 and that clutch pack rattled under zero load no matter what I did.

OP
OP
Two Step Performance

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
Is it basically the same as a motorcycle's clutch rattle?
I don't ride anymore, but my last bike was an older Suzuki GS1000 and that clutch pack rattled under zero load no matter what I did.
To be honest I am not familiar with motorcycle clutch pack rattle so I cannot comment on that.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
Spec did reply to me when I inquired about the steel SMF.
Here’s what I have:
“I am thinking it will be a couple weeks. The OE is almost 32 lbs, and the aluminum is just about 11 lbs. So we were thinking about running the steel in the 23-25 lb range, which should offer some rate of rev benefit still, but with considerably less noise. No 1pc flywheel will be silent, but anything in the 20’s and in high carbon steel will be as close as it gets.”

SPECTech

ApexEight

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R
Country flag
Spec did reply to me when I inquired about the steel SMF.
Here’s what I have:
“I am thinking it will be a couple weeks. The OE is almost 32 lbs, and the aluminum is just about 11 lbs. So we were thinking about running the steel in the 23-25 lb range, which should offer some rate of rev benefit still, but with considerably less noise. No 1pc flywheel will be silent, but anything in the 20’s and in high carbon steel will be as close as it gets.”

SPECTech
Sounds perfect. I think Stage 3+ and the steel wheel will be a really good dual duty setup for people that daily their cars but also may take them on track or just drive spiritedly and are modded.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
Just curious - is there a technical reason why a lightweight flywheel has to be single mass? Is there such a thing as a 17 lb dual mass flywheel? It sounds like that would combine the best of both worlds, if possible.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Just curious - is there a technical reason why a lightweight flywheel has to be single mass? Is there such a thing as a 17 lb dual mass flywheel? It sounds like that would combine the best of both worlds, if possible.
There is not much benefit to a dual mass flywheel for an experienced manual driver. Even though they make the car quieter and easier to drive, they're costly and not as durable in the long run. DMFs should have come only in the lower trim manual Civics, but Honda prefers to push the Si as a low priced sporty econobox. Since the OEM DMF has a price of $800 plus from Honda, I could only imagine the price of a lightened DMF if that existed.

davemarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Type R (CBP), 2013 Audi TTRS
Country flag
There is not much benefit to a dual mass flywheel for an experienced manual driver. Even though they make the car quieter and easier to drive, they're costly and not as durable in the long run. DMFs should have come only in the lower trim manual Civics, but Honda prefers to push the Si as a low priced sporty econobox. Since the OEM DMF has a price of $800 plus from Honda, I could only imagine the price of a lightened DMF if that existed.
I would argue that not having to hear gears rattling at idle is a fairly significant benefit. I don't have a whole lot of experience with SMF's, since all of my previous Hondas had DMF's, but I watched some Youtube videos of SMF's in the 13-17 lb range, and they all seem to makes some subjectively terrible noises at idle. It would be fine for a track car, but personally, I don't think that I'd want to deal with that on a DD.

Also, I must again wonder how Honda has avoided any gear lash noise at idle with the SMF in the CTR. As SPEC had previously mentioned, SMF's supposedly will always have some noise at idle. The CTR's flywheel is also reported around 17 lbs, so it's not too far off from the 13 lb aluminum flywheels that we're seeing now. I'm admittedly a bit confused by the contradiction.

ebatr24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Type R, 2018 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
I would argue that not having to hear gears rattling at idle is a fairly significant benefit. I don't have a whole lot of experience with SMF's, since all of my previous Hondas had DMF's, but I watched some Youtube videos of SMF's in the 13-17 lb range, and they all seem to makes some subjectively terrible noises at idle. It would be fine for a track car, but personally, I don't think that I'd want to deal with that on a DD.

Also, I must again wonder how Honda has avoided any gear lash noise at idle with the SMF in the CTR. As SPEC had previously mentioned, SMF's supposedly will always have some noise at idle. The CTR's flywheel is also reported around 17 lbs, so it's not too far off from the 13 lb aluminum flywheels that we're seeing now. I'm admittedly a bit confused by the contradiction.
Most noise doesn't come at idle, it comes when you engage the clutch. Most of the time it is in the form of "chatter", I have an FX350 and the chatter is quite annoying to deal with. OEM flywheels are usually heavier so they absorb more shock and noise, the type R flywheel is not anywhere near as light as what Spec is offering. On a turbo car I wouldn't really want to go with such a light flywheel myself personally, I would rather go with the steel option they plan to offer. I had a lightweight flywheel in my past cars and never really had much of an audible difference.

Ruskee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si
Country flag
I've been very hesitant to settle on a clutch, even though my stock one is already slipping. Seems like SPEC Stage 1 with 23lb steel flywheel could be exactly what I need.

BoostedDreams

First Name
Heisenburg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Type R, 2006 Mazda 6
Country flag
I've been very hesitant to settle on a clutch, even though my stock one is already slipping. Seems like SPEC Stage 1 with 23lb steel flywheel could be exactly what I need.
The stage 1 clutch only holds 236lbs of torque.

Honda Civic 10th gen SPEC Clutch Proprietary Clutch + Single Mass Flywheel Combos are now available to order! 89F06597-CC13-45D6-90B4-6E714442D854

Last edited:
OP
OP
Two Step Performance

Two Step Performance

Elite Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
twostepperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
The stage 1 clutch only holds 236lbs of torque.

89F06597-CC13-45D6-90B4-6E714442D854.jpeg
This is the "normal / factory style" Stage 1 for the factory dual mass flywheel. I would not recommend this one.

This is the "Proprietary" Stage 1, for use only with a matched SPEC single mass flywheel. It will indeed hold 342lbs at the flywheel, but remember this translates to about 290ft lbs at the wheels.

For most people I am recommending the Proprietary Stage 2+, which will conservatively hold 380ft lbs at the wheels while still being very street friendly.

Something tells me the Stage 1 can't hold that much torque, that's a lot, but then 236 is very little.
See above. :)
Sponsored