Spark Plug Replacement 10th gen SI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
Hello fellow Civic si owners,

Alright let’s get right into it I’m looking to do plugs on my Si this next oil change I’m pretty anal about maintaining my car so I’m going to do plugs at 15-16k miles. I work for an automotive repair shop and was going to use my discount to get plugs but even with my discount these oem plugs are ridiculous 140$. I called NGK and they have nothing on file for the 2019 Si. With some researching I was able to find these(picture below) any help would be appreciated. If anyone has run these how are they?
Honda Civic 10th gen Spark Plug Replacement 10th gen SI 1587751725666

GlahdoSi
Sponsored

arpypat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Civic
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Those are listed as compatible with the 2017 Si, so 2019 should be no different.

The biggest thing to worry about is the gap, which IIRC, is recommended at 0.031" for these engines. Between 0.030" - 0.032" should be fine.

NGK is a pretty reputable company for plugs. 15k interval is definitely overkill, since OEM plugs should be good for 60k-90k. Aftermarket iridium plugs should definitely be good for 15k-60k miles.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag

Alright let’s get right into it I’m looking to do plugs on my Si this next oil change I’m pretty anal about maintaining my car so I’m going to do plugs at 15-16k miles. I work for an automotive repair shop and was going to use my discount to get plugs but even with my discount these oem plugs are ridiculous 140$. I called NGK and they have nothing on file for the 2019 Si. With some researching I was able to find these(picture below) any help would be appreciated. If anyone has run these how are they?
1587751725666.png

GlahdoSi
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATBG1919OM/enu/ATBG1919OM.PDF

Yes... per your owners manual, ILZKAR8J8SY is the spark plug for all 1.5T cars with sport mode (pg 652). As to how they run... they run fine... as fine as how they've been running for you already. They've run fine for me for the last ~3 years and 24k miles. I expect they'll be fine most of the rest of the decade, based on my usage.

OEM iridium plugs should be good for about 100k miles and is schedule 4 maintenance... but if you want to change them early, it will not hurt your car. It also won't necessarily help it. You can always pull, "read" and measure plugs whenever you'd like, though you can damage the threads in the head if you replace them improperly. Based on what their life is, if you're replacing them every 15k miles or so... that'd work out to 6-7 times what the schedule requires. It is a bit easier to pull them and read them mid-life rather than waiting all the years it takes to get to 100k though. They can be a little difficult to remove.

I pull and read plugs on small engines... but it's necessary for tuning with carbs and... well, if the heads on those ever messed up I can swap them in a few minutes for about $20-40 in parts. Not worth it to me to pull early in a car unless it's having issues.

Conor

First Name
Conor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
Wow, changing at 15-16k miles! I mean, there's nothing wrong with doing maintenance a little early, but that is only 16% of the 100k factory interval.

Out of curiosity, do you change your oil every 1k miles? Brake pads every 5k? Tires every month?

Sorry, just giving you a hard time. Good luck!

Gotch

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Si
Country flag
I just bought 4 of the stock Si plugs to change out soon. I'm approaching 80k (kms) change-out is at 160k (kms), I like changing them out half way.

4 Plugs cost $120.00 CDN from dealership.... $140.00 USD in Cali??? WTF?

OP
OP
GlahdoSI

GlahdoSI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Coupe
Country flag
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATBG1919OM/enu/ATBG1919OM.PDF

Yes... per your owners manual, ILZKAR8J8SY is the spark plug for all 1.5T cars with sport mode (pg 652). As to how they run... they run fine... as fine as how they've been running for you already. They've run fine for me for the last ~3 years and 24k miles. I expect they'll be fine most of the rest of the decade, based on my usage.

OEM iridium plugs should be good for about 100k miles and is schedule 4 maintenance... but if you want to change them early, it will not hurt your car. It also won't necessarily help it. You can always pull, "read" and measure plugs whenever you'd like, though you can damage the threads in the head if you replace them improperly. Based on what their life is, if you're replacing them every 15k miles or so... that'd work out to 6-7 times what the schedule requires. It is a bit easier to pull them and read them mid-life rather than waiting all the years it takes to get to 100k though. They can be a little difficult to remove.

I pull and read plugs on small engines... but it's necessary for tuning with carbs and... well, if the heads on those ever messed up I can swap them in a few minutes for about $20-40 in parts. Not worth it to me to pull early in a car unless it's having issues.
Reason of why I am doing them @15k I’ve had two of my friends with the same car have a cylinder go out on them with the same bolt ons I have and when they took it to the dealer at 30k miles they diagnosed it as plugs.

charleswrivers

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Odyssey, '94 300zx, 2001 F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Reason of why I am doing them @15k I’ve had two of my friends with the same car have a cylinder go out on them with the same bolt ons I have and when they took it to the dealer at 30k miles they diagnosed it as plugs.
Fair enough. That seems like a reasonable precaution if you've got that much close second-hand experience. By "go out"... did they say what failed with the plugs? Excessive gap? Broke insulator? Integral resistor? Fouling? Coil to plug connection? Or was the issue not the plugs so much as a poor tune or lack thereof that fouled/burnt the plugs?

Just something to consider... that the failing plugs may be an indicator of another problem and it wasn't caused by the plugs themselves on a modified car. Again... it may have well been 2 instances of plug failures and just that... I'd just investigate further. In my tuning of crappy little carbureted small engines... plugs tell you a lot. Rich... lean... bad rings causing oil contamination... etc... and none of those things are the plugs fault but all can made a good plug fail eventually.

dark_knight097

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Civic Si
Country flag

1587751725666.png

GlahdoSi
$140?? Damn that's a lot for some plugs. I don't blame you for changing them out earlier, especially when you start heavily modifying the car.

I changed mines at 29k. https://prlmotorsports.com/ngklaseriridiumsparkplugILZKAR8J8SY8h8sheatrange8.aspx
Here's where I got the plugs I used at.
$12.99 per plug.

Jervic

First Name
Jeramy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Sport hatchback
Country flag
Expensive since newer wait couple years will go down in price,way too early,well it's your money and time.Our 19 civic sport maybe 50k to replace?

REBELXSi

Señor Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Si coupe RIP, '20 CRV EX-L Hybrid
Country flag
Hold on... $140?!

saiko21

First Name
Sai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Civic Si Sedan (Sold) , 2005 Toyota Corolla (Sold)
Country flag
Buy from rock auto along with 5% off coupon. $140 is ridiculous for the plugs. I would say 4 plugs should not cost more that $50 including shipping

Averia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Civic Si Sedan
Country flag
I installed the NGK LKAR8BHX 91784 Ruthenium plugs and they work great.