Spare tire/wheel set up for 20 type r?

• Thread starter Deleted member 44294
  • Start date
  • Watchers 3

Deleted member 44294

Sorry to bother you all- sure it is out there, but I couldn’t find it - does Honda make a spare tire and wheel kit that will fit the 20 type r on all four positions of the car or is there something else that people are using ?
Sponsored

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Part number for the spare kit should be 06421-TGH-A33ZA and the Continental tire is DTD0351950. You can get a tire from elsewhere too and get a better deal, I forget the size you need though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 44294

Part number for the spare kit should be 06421-TGH-A33ZA and the Continental tire is DTD0351950. You can get a tire from elsewhere too and get a better deal, I forget the size you need though.
Thank you, Shred!

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
It's $136 here before shipping, and your local dealer might be able to price match? Keep in mind it also moves the trunk floor up a bit, so it's not just the tire and jack in that kit. The tire is just a tire, looking around I think the tire size is 125/70R18 and can probably be sourced cheaper than a dealers' pricing at like a Discount Tire or ordered from TireRack. Should come out to about 300 + mounting and fees?

https://www.hondapartsnow.com/genuine/honda~0~06421-tgh-a33za.html

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...8&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

OP
OP

Deleted member 44294

It's $136 here before shipping, and your local dealer might be able to price match? Keep in mind it also moves the trunk floor up a bit, so it's not just the tire and jack in that kit. The tire is just a tire, looking around I think the tire size is 125/70R18 and can probably be sourced cheaper than a dealers' pricing at like a Discount Tire or ordered from TireRack. Should come out to about 300 + mounting and fees?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...8&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17
Thank you...how strange to sell a compact spare tire separate from the wheel.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag

I agree, call around to the local Honda places. When I was looking for a spare tire set up I called up the dealer where I bought my car and it was substantially higher than another local Honda dealership.

on the spare tire thread there was a link with decent prices and then on the home page of the link there was a search feature and I was able to find local Honda stores that participated in the lower prices. The shipping is crazy as it’s a giant box as it has a new rear tray/shelf. Thank the Lord I found a place to mount the tire and the man was nice enough not to charge me as the kit comes with a valve stem. Yes the tire is a separate item. The tire price at my dealer was almost what other places charged so I got everything there.

Some people found that you can use other spare tires from a GM or other car but I wanted the factory kit and some did not clear the front caliper.

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
I was able to get my kit through my dealer and the dealer price for the tire was the same as from outside sources so I just purchased through them. The kit paid for itself when I got my first flat at 2,000 miles and was unrepairable. But it got me home. Right after that I will look advantage of black Friday sales to change out to 18's.

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Civic Type R, 2019 Toyota Sienna, 2006 Toyota Highlander, 1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye
Country flag
I was able to get my kit through my dealer and the dealer price for the tire was the same as from outside sources so I just purchased through them. The kit paid for itself when I got my first flat at 2,000 miles and was unrepairable. But it got me home. Right after that I will look advantage of black Friday sales to change out to 18's.
Oooo. Didn’t think there might be Black Friday deals on 18”s!

Volksparts

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 CTR, 17 TRD Tacoma, 2017 Wrangler, 2020 Avalon
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Oooo. Didn’t think there might be Black Friday deals on 18”s!
Depending in the your wheel choice I was able to order wheels and tires through discounttiredirect with rebates on black friday last year costing me about $1600 in the end. When ordering through them they come mounted and balanced to your door.

Shred

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic Type R
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
With a FWD car, I always understood it as best to move a rear tire up front and put the spare in the rear. I know people are lazy and I've seen plenty of people rocking the spare up front, but this was the way I was taught. Is this correct or a bunch of BS?

BABY NSX

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Country flag
With a FWD car, I always understood it as best to move a rear tire up front and put the spare in the rear. I know people are lazy and I've seen plenty of people rocking the spare up front, but this was the way I was taught. Is this correct or a bunch of BS?
Without actually comparing tire height, in theory that would be correct. Putting tires of two different heights beyond a certain tolerance. (Which I don’t know but there might be a factory spec but I’ve asked Honda and their info line doesn’t know) will cause the differential to overwork and heat up and possibly fail. Being the CTR has an LSD it could complicate matters more. Others could chime in on this.

Personally I would throw a spare on the front and drive slowly for short distances but I’m curious to check tire heights. That’s one of the reasons I went with a factory spare tire vs sourcing one from another type of car but if you’re careful you can get the same height/size.

Not sure if I’m comparing apples to oranges due to different tranny/differential designs but I used to work at Acura of Boston in the early 90s and one of the things we told owners of the first Gen Acura Legends is not to rock the cars if they get stuck in the snow. If one front tire grips then the other is spinning the differential would get over heated and literally throw the shaft that holds the differential gears out of the carrier and crack the tranny case. If there was a first Gen Acura Legend that wouldn’t shift and a puddle of tranny fluid under it we knew it needed a tranny. At one point we had 6 trannies sitting around the parts department waiting to be installed due to this issue. :oops:

martindtjr

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Vehicle(s)
TYPE R 19, Sienna XLE15, Xa 06, Camry 92
Vehicle Showcase
Country flag
Guess I 'll have to test drive my 17 inch setup.
Sponsored